Votes: 24 30.8%
  • 93+ octane

Votes: 31 39.7%
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
to anyone with a y7/y8 mini-me, what octane do you use, what kind of tune do you have, and what is you compression? i plan on doing the y8 mini me and plan on having a cr of about 10.2:1 and just wanna get an idea of what octane i need to use

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i should have added i will be running a stock p2p ecu. with that ecu is it possible to run 87?

·
Registered
see my car lol
81 Posts
wow didn't realize your octane levels are so different in the USA!! :eek: I'm based in the UK and run Shell V-Power which is 98octane

Chris ;)

here in florida we have 100 and 110 octane at some sunoco stations, but it costs like $6.00 per gallon.
i like VP race fuel best though! ;)

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
i dont see the need to run anything over 87 octane on a single that has basic bolt ons, but with something thats a little more modded like a mini me id deff say that id run a little higher octane

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
get a knock sensor/light when you tune it; use what ever octane doesn't cause knock :TU:

chrisellis; i assume the 98 is unleaded? you lucky bastards.... lol

WE have pumps for 100, 105, 110, etc around here; but it is expensive as hell, and i think over 100 is leaded (not that you can't use it, but o2 sensors won't like it after a while)

·
Registered
315 Posts
here in florida we have 100 and 110 octane at some sunoco stations, but it costs like $6.00 per gallon.
i like VP race fuel best though! ;)
Fuel in general is more expensive in the UK anyway, here's the ruff prices to the GBP

95ron - 89.9p per litre
98ron - 97.9p per litre
and 99ron - 98.9p per litre

Chris ;)

·
Registered
56 Posts
"Use the highest you can get, it will keep your engine cleaner and run better."
?? cleaner as in detergents .. they're all the same.
Any US octane will work fine, if you have a knock sensor .. up to a point, the ecu will advance to the octane used.
I'd use the highest octane to net the most power.

·
Registered
1997 Civic Hatch D18Y8 M62 S/C
2,666 Posts
Higher octane does not generate more power it effectively reduces detonation on higher compression engines. Higher octane ratings burn less easily. Really guys, this is pretty basic.

And BTW a mini-me is not really a build-up - it's still stock parts.

Higher octane on a mini-me is a waste of money - about $2 a tank full in my state.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
if it is possible to run the 87 octane without pinging i am probable gonna use that. i drive about 85 miles round trip each day to school, so if the 87 works and because it is cheaper i will be using that. If the 87 pings i will move up to the 89.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts