Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just a general question the engine has 250,000 on it. I can pick it up complete with head for 100 bucks just seeing if its even worth to rebuild.

the plan would be spare engine to build on the side for boost, simple Vitara FJT rods build.

also curious about the head possible its still good.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Too high to rebuild is if the cylinders are beyond the point of an overbore solving the problem. At a quarter of a million miles I'd plan on overboreing the block and send the head to the machine shop. I woulden't be suprised if it needed guides at this pointe.

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
if the cylinders are too out of round, then its up to you if you want to scrap the block for a new one or sleeve the one you have. But, try to rebore it and go from there.

·
nonvtak ftw
5,230 Posts
my question is. was there even anything wrong with it when it came out of the car. i drove an integra well into 300,000 miles before. sold the car years ago and still see it going.

not sure if you have ever seen this but awhile back i saw a guy who had driven his accord 1,000,000 miles and rolled the od. back to 0. im sure you could rebuild it the question is... do you want to

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
the motor in my car had about 230k on it...the head had a few snapped bolts in it from the previous owner, so i picked up a low mileage one for cheap. I then proceeded to hone the cylinders, put in some std size bearings and forged internals, and throw some boost at it. It gets some blowby under boost (can only tell when its on the dyno with the hood open), but runs good and i spent $0 in machine work.

I wouldnt recommend this if you plan on having the motor last a long time though lol. This project was intended to not last long, then i decided to sell my other car and its now my dd lol. I cross my fingers it doesnt fall apart .

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yea its not pulled yet but at 150 for motor and tranny i may just have to pick it up

·
Registered
124 Posts
My D16y8 had 234,000 miles on it I honed it and put P29 pistons in and it ran great..... till i spun a bearing after 12,000 miles (oil pressure must have dropped). But as long as the cylinder look good go a head and do it!

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
I'm doing the same thing you are now, but without the turbo buildup.
you could have a low mileage car that had been beaten and wouldn't be worth a rebuild, so you got to take a close inspection of the cylinder walls and journals. If the block has any cracks or major scarring it might be better to find another block. I bought a Y8 with 120,000 kilometres (not sure in miles but it's low) for 100 bucks cuz it spun a rod bearing, so far the block looks good. Ive got to get my calipers out and do some measurements first, but you can never tell until you look and inspect it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts