Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading today and read something about the different octanes and how it's better to use certain ones every now and then..i was just wondering what everyone is using and what would you suggest i use in my car..i have a lighty modded(for now) d16y8...

·
Worst Mechanic Ever!
EG
2,915 Posts
I have a stock D16Z6 (1995), and I run 87 all the time. Used to run 89 occasionally because I heard it can prevent/remove some buildup in the engine, similar to add-in cleaners. But now I just use add-in cleaners from time to time. I heard that running premuim (93 here I think) can foul your injectors if you are running stock, but I don't know if thats a fact or BS.

·
Registered
88 ED6
5,511 Posts
I heard the opposite; that Premium(whether it be 91,92, 93, or 94), will clean your fuel system. They tend to add more detergents in their Premium fuel than the Regular one. My cars use 87 except for my old CRX because of the advanced timing and slightly higher compression.

·
Registered
163 Posts
the octane rating is basically a measure of how resistant the fuel is to knock. The higher the octane, the more resistant the fuel is to knock.

Now on a stock motor with a compression ratio near 9:1, you really don't need more than 87 octane. If you happen to put 91 octane in, it could do more harm than it will do good, since you're motor will probably not create an environment hot enough to set of the mixture (because the fuel is more resistant to knock), and that isn't a good thing. So unless you have raised your compression, running nitrous or boost, or have done something wild to your head, run 87 and you'll be golden

·
Worst Mechanic Ever!
EG
2,915 Posts
Now on a stock motor with a compression ratio near 9:1, you really don't need more than 87 octane. If you happen to put 91 octane in, it could do more harm than it will do good, since you're motor will probably not create an environment hot enough to set of the mixture (because the fuel is more resistant to knock), and that isn't a good thing. So unless you have raised your compression, running nitrous or boost, or have done something wild to your head, run 87 and you'll be golden
There ya go, thats what I thought I was told.

I heard the opposite; that Premium(whether it be 91,92, 93, or 94), will clean your fuel system. They tend to add more detergents in their Premium fuel than the Regular one. My cars use 87 except for my old CRX because of the advanced timing and slightly higher compression.
See, thats what I heard and I would run premium once a month, but then I heard what Daliumong was saying, so I went to 89. I figured, it shouldn't be high enough octane to be a problem, but still do the job. Then I said screw it, if I was to clean the fuel system, I'll get fuel system cleaner.

·
my name says Guest, but Im really a MEMBER
10,488 Posts
^ That's a good point. If your compression isn't high enough or have FI the fuel might not be buring completely and cause slighty worse gas mileage. On the other hand increasing the compression a little and not going to a higher octance might give you better gas mileage without changing anything else.

I ran 87 octane on a mini-me without any signs of pinging, though I didn't rev it past 3.5k.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts