Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Soon to be all black
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a kit onthe net and the all is well except for the wastegate. It is for sure a 38mm. But, as for a name or anything like that, it's some knock off Tial crap. The spring is 13psi/pounds.... I want a .5 bar spring or smaller. Here is a link for a site for spring, but they are for Tial. Would it still fit my off brand wastegate as long as its a 38mm wg? The guy I bought it from said it was a TiAl and I really don't know for sure. Please help....

http://www.full-race.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=160_688_711&osCsid=0a787bf15576eb8a287af596d0eb615f

On a side note, my engine is being cleaned and built as I write this at a shop not far from me. I can't wait. It'll be put in my EX in 2 weeks. About freaking time. Shit took forever and a day to be built.... I'll get pics up soon.

·
Registered
Magnum RT
1,409 Posts
No offense, but you couldn't PAY ME to put anything from SSAC on ANY of my cars. EVERY single one of their products has failed on EVERY VEHICLE that has had them installed. And yes, they were installed and used correctly. Like it was stated above, if it's a TiAL or TiAL knock-off, use a TiAL spring and you'll be good to go.

·
Registered
94 civic si
613 Posts
No offense, but you couldn't PAY ME to put anything from SSAC on ANY of my cars. EVERY single one of their products has failed on EVERY VEHICLE that has had them installed. And yes, they were installed and used correctly. Like it was stated above, if it's a TiAL or TiAL knock-off, use a TiAL spring and you'll be good to go.
Pretty strong statement seeing as how I've been using an ssautochrome wastegate for a year+ with no problems.

·
Registered
Soon to be all black
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pretty strong statement seeing as how I've been using an ssautochrome wastegate for a year+ with no problems.
funny. As I was buying a turbo kit, just about everyone I have talked to says not to buy from ss. I am not saying that they make crap, cause I don't know. Just that it is cheaply made. But, I'll stick with full race anyhow. Thanks again guys

·
Registered
283 Posts
If you read ssac thread in this site you will see many poeple have used their wastgates with no trouble at all

·
Registered
94 civic si
613 Posts
funny. As I was buying a turbo kit, just about everyone I have talked to says not to buy from ss. I am not saying that they make crap, cause I don't know. Just that it is cheaply made. But, I'll stick with full race anyhow. Thanks again guys
true. he said ANYTHING from ssac was crap.

·
Registered
Soon to be all black
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you read ssac thread in this site you will see many poeple have used their wastgates with no trouble at all
and that maybe true for you. But if alot of people are saying not to use and only a handful are saying, yeah their great. I won't use. I've got enough damn headaches and concerns. I'll stick with something tried and true. Call me a follower if ya'd like, but thats what it is all about anyways. Preference, is it not. You prefer SS as I prefer not to use them. Whatever works, right?

·
Registered
Magnum RT
1,409 Posts
You may have been one of the very few that have had success. Either that or you're just not pushing your car hard enough (not bashing, just merely curious...that's all). What boost levels have you been running for a year on your wastegate, how hard do you drive the car, and how often are you "gettin' on it"? And like I said, you may be one of the lucky few...that's all. Congrats on having that luck. Me, personally, I'm gonna go on my personal experience and on the experience of the 30-40+ others that have used their products, and steer clear of all SSAC items.

·
Registered
283 Posts
The thing is is if you ask 95% of those people if they ACTULLY have a ssac wastgate they will tell you no, and they will go on to tell you that they read that ssac is crap which for the most part i would agree. But their wastgates hold up extremely well I know because i have one on my drag car. Let me ask you a question, do you have a ssac wastgate on your car, I didnt think so. So how do you know they dont work, you dont.

·
Registered
Soon to be all black
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
he really didn't say he had one, just that alot of people say not to use them. I am a member of afew other forums, and they also say not to use them. And again, some say that somethings are cool. lol, I was onthe phone awhile back with a shop looking for some parts and things, and SS came up inthe conversation. He advised not to go that route. But, again, I wont own SS stuff, I like name brand. Even if I pay more than some one else, thats just one less thing to worry about. And I think that goes with most people here. If they've owned SS stuff or not. Word of mouth can help a business or hurt it. Either way my friend. But no one is flaming you. Just saying your lucky... and what kind of boost are you running on your drag?

and if everything they sell is crap, and you said 95% of it is, why risk it on a spring? I don't like my 5% vs. 95%. Know what I mean

·
Registered
Magnum RT
1,409 Posts
The thing is is if you ask 95% of those people if they ACTULLY have a ssac wastgate they will tell you no, and they will go on to tell you that they read that ssac is crap which for the most part i would agree. But their wastgates hold up extremely well I know because i have one on my drag car. Let me ask you a question, do you have a ssac wastgate on your car, I didnt think so. So how do you know they dont work, you dont.
Actually, I know of at least 8 people off the top of my head that TRIED the SSAC wastegate and ran a 10lb spring and had a boost controller set to 15-17psi. ALL 8 wastegates failed within 3000 miles. And yes, all the boost controllers and wastegates were installed CORRECTLY. And this is not a personal attack my friend, I'm going off of experience and what I've seen personally, not just on word-of-mouth alone. I'm glad to hear you've had great luck with your SSAC stuff, seriously. I just steer clear as much as possibly from aLL of their products and try to advise others to do the same so that they don't end up having to buy the same part twice.

·
Registered
Soon to be all black
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Actually, I know of at least 8 people off the top of my head that TRIED the SSAC wastegate and ran a 10lb spring and had a boost controller set to 15-17psi. ALL 8 wastegates failed within 3000 miles. And yes, all the boost controllers and wastegates were installed CORRECTLY. And this is not a personal attack my friend, I'm going off of experience and what I've seen personally, not just on word-of-mouth alone. I'm glad to hear you've had great luck with your SSAC stuff, seriously. I just steer clear as much as possibly from aLL of their products and try to advise others to do the same so that they don't end up having to buy the same part twice.
well, I guess that settles it.

·
Registered
98 Civic
1,245 Posts
I dont remember who it is but there is someone either on here or on Turbo D16 that is making over or right around 400whp on an ssac/ebay turbo... I think some of that stuff like mainly the turbo's are hit and miss... the manifold are all junk, ive never heard any complaints about the wastegates untill whats his nuts up there ^ said something, ive never heard any complaints about the blow off valves.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I haven't heard any complaints either. But it is possible to buy a product that is bad.(I have bought fuel pumps, Tv's, ect.) That were just bad.

If your wastegate is failing within 3000 miles, then it's probably because you are reving the car at every stop light. (Basically you are beating the crap out of it), Because you are acting like a little kid with a new toy. The products can only take so much abuse. They should last awhile if you are not a racer.

Just my 0.02 cents.

·
Registered
Soon to be all black
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I haven't heard any complaints either. But it is possible to buy a product that is bad.(I have bought fuel pumps, Tv's, ect.) That were just bad.

If your wastegate is failing within 3000 miles, then it's probably because you are reving the car at every stop light. (Basically you are beating the crap out of it), Because you are acting like a little kid with a new toy. The products can only take so much abuse. They should last awhile if you are not a racer.

Just my 0.02 cents.

well, I'll act like a kid for a while, cause I have never owned a boosted civic before, so it will be new for alil while. after that, it will wear off.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts