Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll start, so I neglected to check the hood latch when I bought my shell and while towing it the hood flies up and breaks the windshield, then the wipers are crap and I scratched the brand new windshield. I have hydrolocked my motor twice, the first time taking out a rod, and the 2nd time screwing up the threads on the lifters and the ring tension on the number 4 cylinder. I have nearly run the car out of oil while driving it. I have broken the guide prongs on the dizzy. Yesterday I got the o2 connection confused with the other one that looks just like it and was spewing gas out of a crack in my turbo manifold. And also yesterday while trying to figure out why the car wouldn't start I set the damn valve cover on fire checking the spark plugs. Short of cracking a sleeve or throwing a rod, I have literally done just about everything that a person could do wrong on a Honda.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
5,016 Posts
recently, I messed with the belts and apparently I either over tightened, or didn't tighten the a/c tensioner enough and 3 houses away, I heard it fall off and watched it run the stop sign. fyi, the a/c compressor is in amazing condition, that shit didn't stop spinning for like 3 minutes.

·
Registered
Del Sol EH6
173 Posts
- Clocking the cam and somehow rotated the crank 180 degree.
- When I was finished replacing the headgasket I saw the bushing between head and short block (don't know the English name right now) still laying on the table.
- 2mm copper ring inside the bell housing in stead of sealant (that bolt that secure the shifter mechanism)

·
Registered
93 hatch (money pit)
12 Posts
Oh boy something I'm good at!

-Hacked up my wiring harness thinking I knew how to make a tuck harness.
-Bought cheap sensors and paid the price when they caused issues.
-Broke the shift pin going into the transmission when trying to finish up the tranny swap
-Messed with the idle screw
-Removed the sound deadening behind the dash thinking it wasn't needed...
-Incorrectly timed my mini me not once but twice.

·
Premium Member
2005 Legacy GT
1,754 Posts
Not my Honda but my Subaru:
Didn't tighten the top bolts on the shocks enough when assembling them ... those made quite the racket.

My Honda:
Didn't tighten lugnuts all the way after doing some work ... also an interesting noise (no damage).
Didn't open up the snap ring enough when putting the transmission back together, destroyed the bearing (spare transmission ... yay).
O-ring from oil filter stuck to block and I didn't notice. Started it up and big puddle of oil. Walked to the store (luckily it was close) to get more oil and a filter (didn't realize it was just the o-ring being stuck to the block) to redo oil change.

·
\/Your Mom Was Here\/
Vibe GT
4,833 Posts
On a Toyota I did a head gasket and valve job on I had to put a bolt in the cam gear (pic included) to lock it and never removed it when I was done, horrible noise. It took me a few to remember about that thing, had to start it with the VC removed

·
Registered
Integra DB9, Accord Type R
432 Posts
Spent days trying different distributors, igniters and so on until I gave up. I found the single loose connection two weeks later ...

·
Registered
212 Posts
+1 on the lugs.. Def double check 'em! or an odd wobble noise occurs if you dont.lol
my audi s6 overheated and seized bc i bought a chinese ect sensor. it was reading norm temps then it pegged to the hot side while i was looking at the guage. Died before i even got to the side of the freeway.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
5,016 Posts
dumbest shit I think Ive done ever, was on a 95 dodge intrepid. doing the front brakes in my UNPAVED driveway. sitting indian style with my legs under the rotor. watched the jack roll back and tried to sling myself backwards. car fell onto my legs. tie rod pinning my left foot and rotor pinning my right ankle. took my dad and uncle to pull the car off of me. thank god it was sandier where my feet got pinned or I wouldn't have a right foot

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
dumbest shit I think Ive done ever, was on a 95 dodge intrepid. doing the front brakes in my UNPAVED driveway. sitting indian style with my legs under the rotor. watched the jack roll back and tried to sling myself backwards. car fell onto my legs. tie rod pinning my left foot and rotor pinning my right ankle. took my dad and uncle to pull the car off of me. thank god it was sandier where my feet got pinned or I wouldn't have a right foot
Dude.....You're so effin lucky.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
always leaving the 17mm with the ratchet on the crank pulley and then starting the car up, thing goes flying wherever lol.

Put new caliper and bled brakes improperly. Only one caliper was working and ran right through a red light when I hit the brakes. Crazy how ineffective one wheel is at stopping you.

Always leaving random tools in the engine compartment or window sill. Random tools falling off on the highway.

Leaving lug nuts loose. Wheel starts vibrating and then goes flying in front of me. rolls a good 50 yards. Lucky car was slammed so 3 wheel action lol.

Leaving that stupid thermostat ground unhooked when swapping new engine.

·
Registered
97 honda coupe
7,611 Posts
when i was in college and broke i used to use home depot sewer drain pvc rubber couplers for charge piping boots. i remember installing one in the parking lot and blowing it when i went to leave and returning it with a hole in the side within 20 minutes of purchase. the employee there was completely confused as to how a brand new drain connector got a hole in the side of it like that.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, I've got more to add because I'm a dumbass. I literally just got my car back together and apparently I didn't tighten my radiator cap all the way before a break in cruise, and since my temp gauge doesn't really work I didn't know it was overheating until the radiator was basically empty.. I literally just did this a few hours ago..It got so hot that my heat shield intake gasket started to change color and bulge at the edges. I'm pretty sure I warped the living daylights out of the head too since there was coolant bubbling out from behind the exhaust manifold gasket and I had to use a hammer to get some of the studs out of the head and can't get some of them to feed back through at all......

·
Registered
0 Posts
Before going on a road trip to look at a car with my brother we topped up the oil in his car and forgot to put the cap back on. It was still in the engine bay after 3 hours of highway driving so I guess that's kind of lucky.
Also used a cheap ebay BOV and it failed on the highway around 100 mph. The snap ring blew out and the blow off valve went flying lol

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
Stupidest thing I ever did. It didnt seem stupid at the time.... seemed like I was moving up in the world, starting to do things like a pro... LOL....

I got a new set of brakes, big brakes for the Civic. New rotors, pads, calipers, everything.

For some reason, I had this idea that the anti squeal paste went on the friction/FACE of the brake pads.

Man that car stopped like complete SHIT!! hahaha. Oh my god. Put the stock brakes right back on.

Was able to sand down the faces of the pads and all was well, but man, what a dumb ass thing to do. Its amazing the lessons that time teaches.

·
Registered
93 dx + 92 lx
328 Posts
I completely reassembled the steering column doing my manual swap just to realize I hadn't reconnected the input to the rack

1 - 20 of 39 Posts