Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I turbo charged my D15B7 about two weeks ago. And then I ran it hard one day and it cut off on me while I was running it hard, like rolling down the highway hard in 4th gear at high rpms and it just died, oil light and battery light came on, then I pulled the ebrake and rolled up an exit ramp(at like 80 at least) and it started fine.

I drove it home and it cut off a few more times and was making a noise like metal scraping metal. I figured it was my downpipes washers rattling because it isn't screwed on tight. And I had heard a few other weird noises before and didn't mind them, it had at one point sounded like I spun a rod bearing but then it stopped and I drove it hard for about 2 weeks until last night.

So this morning I drove it and it was fine up until it warmed up which took about a mile at most , then it started making the god awful noise and every time I let off the gas it would cut off completely. I don't know what it is, any ideas? It just cuts off completely but not until it warms up.

·
Banned
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could this possibly be due to the distributor having gone bad? I am hoping it is something easy like that, something electrical, because it runs great for the first mile, but as soon as its warm it cuts off.

I am pretty sure its the bottom end though because its noisy when it warms up, what do I need to do, drop my oil pan and do what? Just look for metal and junk?

And to check the turbo bearing, can I just spin my turbo by hand and see if it spins freely or what can I do to check it?

Wish me luck.

When the car cuts off it starts back up just fine, you just have to keep giving it gas because it won't idle once it has warmed up.

·
Registered
613 Posts
draining your oil will show any metal shavings. a sound clip would help

·
Banned
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It wouldn't be the timing belt because the problem is only when the car warms up, at least I don't think it could be the timing belt. And then the distributor, I heard sometimes when cars warm up if the distributor is bad the car will cut off, but it has no problem starting after it cuts off, so I don't know.

·
Registered
122 Posts
:alky:
your best bet is to do what hatch said. i would drop your oil pan and check for metal shavings. the other thing you migh be able to do take off your valve cover and check for metal shavings in the head as well. you would be better of putting on a sound clip

·
()*#$(*$
11,404 Posts
*shakes head* It sounds like you spun a bearing.

When you hear funny noises coming from your engine, never assume you think you know what it is. Find out for sure, especially with a turbocharger!

DON'T DRIVE THE CAR ANYMORE!

Drain your oil through a coffee filter. This will show you if there are metal flakes in your oil, which usually means a bearing has spun or gotten eaten. With you boosting your D15, this isn't a suprise to me since the D15s seem to eat rod bearings sooner than D16s. I think it has to do with the size of them.

As another member asked, how did you tune this? If you say you used an FMU and retarded the timing, or anything other than "I had an ECU chipped to run DSM 450s and a basemap installed," you should probably be kicked in the shins. 4th gear on the highway is about the hardest part of a turbocharged engine's life, and if it isn't tuned right, it will die.

·
Banned
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I am nearly certain I spun a bearing too.

I run an open downpipe so I can hardly hear anything anyways so I never noticed it before it was too late.

I will drain my oil tomorrow.

How was it tuned? I put jdm cartoon character stickers on the hood, you meant to say tooned right? No really(theres no stickers), I made a basemap in crome and am running super large 240cc injectors(stock) at 5-8psi.

I don't know how fast I was going I usually don't look down at the speedo past 3rd gear, but I am sure it was buried because 3rd close to red line I am going 100ish something.

Oh yeah, JackieChan, I don't feel like pouring kitty litter in my yard to soak up any oil, so recording a video is not my first choice to figuring her out.

Guess what though? I have a spare motor that has been sitting for a year or two... D16Y8, woohoo, swap the distributor and its ready to roll just like it was obd1.

Oh yeah, and the unicorn tried to poke the exhaust but then he noticed the downpipe wasn't bolted on hardly and was rattling and that the o2 bung plug rattled out and that the 02 sensor was disabled.

Anyone want to see my base map?

·
Banned
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Timing is kind of aggressive I think, and maybe the fuel is a little lean, truthfully I don't have a wide band yet....

·
Registered
253 Posts
yeah you could of spun bearing?If your running dual springs check your springs to see if any of them broke? The same thing happend to one of my friends , He got luck cause the valve got cought in the spring!!!!!

·
Banned
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
The D15B7 is BONE STOCK, no internal mods, 180k on the motor, ballsy and running 5W-30

It sounds like it comes from the bottom end, but I suppose it could be a broken spring or bent valve... so many things to check, I will check the turbo first and then remove my valve cover and then drain my oil and drop the oil pan. I knew I would need to do a motor swap, I just didn't know when. I really want to build the motor with vitaras and some good rod, you know, another 400hp vitara setup, but as cheap as possible but at the same time dependable, truthfully I want to be able to run 20psi but then daily run 10psi, I can buy a two timer switch for my different programs.

I've never built a motor, can I change the bearing and be good? I know its caused a lot of wear on the cylinder wall more than likely and god knows what else but... could it be halfass? If so can I do it with the motor in the car, like with the oil pan off? These are dumb questions, I've only put motors in, never really done anything to them internally.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Hey man , I'm running a d16y8 stock bottom end. Got stage II cam with dual springs on neptune. Pushing 320whp @ 17psi on a gt3/t4 for about a year now. no big problems? (knock on wood)!!! It's all in the tunning if you got a good tunner you can make good power, and save the motor. (Servion) is one of the best !!!!!!!

·
Banned
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hows Neptune treating you?

I am planning to go Pro with Crome whenever I get a wide band, I want to do a DIY tune. I'd like to learn as much as I can and do as much as I can by myself. I hate the idea of someone driving the piss out of my car, even though apparently thats what I do. I've built my whole car myself. But it is fairly simple mods, check my sig link and pics...

I don't see it being that complicated to do a tune yourself, I am just worried about missing something, I will be all over PGMFI when I get my wide band.

·
Banned
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah, I appreciate it, I'd like to see some pics of your build or list of mods, just curious how stock the setup is. I haven't seen a car locally running neptune yet though, everyone is either crome,uberdata,turboedit, or hondata$$$. I want to check out eCtune though, it looks BADASS. Oh yeah, and good luck with preserving your motor, I'm sure it will be fine, thats a lot of boost though, but I'm sure you don't drive like me at high rpms for 3 hours at a time or more.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts