Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what is the purpose of below highlighted component?

1. my setup is D15b dual vtec, manual S20 tranny.
2. ECU: P2J-003
3. my mechanic told me that this is not installed by default from factory but someone installed it later. this isnt a part of installation with D15b dual vtec engine.
4. my car was having idle RPM issues.
5. mechanic disconnected this part and now idle RPM is perfect (but when i cold start, have to keep pressing the pedal for about 5 mins. after that my car remains normal in idle).

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Gas Automotive tire

Car Motor vehicle Electrical wiring Auto part Automotive fuel system

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Automotive tire Bumper

·
Registered
98 Civic DX w/JDM Z7, B000 M/T, nothing fancy, just functionally sound
11 Posts

3. my mechanic told me that this is not installed by default from factory but someone installed it later. this isnt a part of installation with D15b dual vtec engine.
5. mechanic disconnected this part and now idle RPM is perfect (but when i cold start, have to keep pressing the pedal for about 5 mins. after that my car remains normal in idle).

View attachment 142293

View attachment 142294

View attachment 142295
It is part of the EGR 3stage VTEC system for all manual transmission versions. It's the EGR control solenoid. Same as the USDM A/T HX. Was connected to your IM. Looks like that connection is capped off now. Looks like the two wires were clipped that go to the ecu from the solenoid as well. If you have the P2J-003 ecu it should be easy enough to rewire with the proper P2J-003 pinout schematic.

View attachment 142293

View attachment 142294

View attachment 142295
this.

if you search this forum for "3-Stage VTEC EGR valve" or "purge control valve" you should find the info you are looking for.

Attachments

·
Registered
'91 CRX DX, D15B (D15Z7), ZC L3
142 Posts
What j98CIVIC said. Instead of being a simple on/off solenoid valve, the ECU rapidly pulses it the same way it does a 2-wire IAC. The solenoid controls the amount of vacuum going to the actuator thing on the EGR valve.

Get all the gizmos hooked up the way they're supposed to be, then start asking questions. EGR lift sensor, EGR frequency solenoid valve, crankshaft phase sensor (attached to the oil pump), both VTEC solenoids, single-wire O2 sensor, knock sensor, plus all the usual sensors.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It is part of the EGR 3stage VTEC system for all manual transmission versions. It's the EGR control solenoid. Same as the USDM A/T HX. Was connected to your IM. Looks like that connection is capped off now. Looks like the two wires were clipped that go to the ecu from the solenoid as well. If you have the P2J-003 ecu it should be easy enough to rewire with the proper P2J-003 pinout schematic.

this.

if you search this forum for "3-Stage VTEC EGR valve" or "purge control valve" you should find the info you are looking for.
valuable support. thanks millions. ill look up for possible solutions in my local market.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts