Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im thinking of building a mini me using a d15b2 head and a jdm d16 block to put in my 93 EG.I already have a y6 manifold,and would use that.I was thinking to use ZC pistons to up the compression.So my questions are should i use that head and what would the expected power be?The compression ratio how much would that head take it to?Would i need to change the cam?The power im shooting for is b16 numbers like 160 + hp.Is it possible ?What else would i need im my build?Could someone give me examples of the mini me setup?

·
Registered
2000 4dr civic dx
357 Posts
first off, will you be boosting this or going N/A?
this question will be the deciding factor on what you need when building your motor.

it seems as though you need to read more on this forum.
you'll learn a shit load! =]

·
racist-bigot-sexist-homophob
11,892 Posts
Can't use PM7/P29's in a d15b2. And 160whp N/A is achievable but you're going to spend a SHIT TON of money getting there.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
160 wheel horse power on a dynojet is a big goal from 1.5 or 1.6 liters. Go to the NA section and look at the member cars in there and what it takes to make 160. Not many guys can do it. Look at my build it made 126WHP on a dyno dynamics (im still working on it).

I think you may have it backward. Usually people put a Z6 or a Y8 head on a D15 block, not vice versa.

z6 or y8 head on a d15b2 block would be around 11 compression. Search for a compression calculator, they're all over the place.

To get b16 numbers like 160whp from a d15 or d16 you'll need a ported head, big cam, high compression modified/aftermarket intake w/ bigger injectors, good aftermarket header and a tuneable ecu... or you could go carbs and skip the ecu

And remember its not so much the parts it's how well they all work together, My build on paper should be making 160. It's not making that because a couple of my parts aren't sized or matched correctly for this engine (velocity stacks, header, portmatching issues)

And one last thing, here is some good advice for all new builds. Choose a function, a budget and a goal. Then do research and ask questions. Get it all down on paper first and submit it to the forum for review.

Function: daily driver, daily driver/autox, dedicated autox, road race, drag race

Budget: set a dollar limit to the build

Goal: desired power curve based on function and budget

When you finish the project and meet your goal within budget you will truly be satisfied with your build.

Here are some good examples.

daily driver with 160whp turbo for $1500 - non-intercooled log manifold turbo and safc
daily driver with 160whp NA for $4000 - porting, cam, intake, exhaust, ecu, etc.

a daily driver needs to be reliable, quiet, idle well, get good gas mileage, and not smell like gas which are harder to do NA and still make big power on a small sohc

·
11,892 Posts
Yeah, listen to student, he knows his N/A shit. There are plenty of build threads in the N/A forum to read and gather info.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Yeah, listen to student, he knows his N/A shit. There are plenty of build threads in the N/A forum to read and gather info.
haha thanks... yeah I know because I'VE MADE ALL THESE MISTAKES lol...

I am embarrassed to even say how much 126WHP has cost me. Lets just say I could be driving a paid off S2000.

·
Registered
3,655 Posts

I am embarrassed to even say how much 126WHP has cost me. Lets just say I could be driving a paid off S2000.

good ol' School Of Hard Knocks.....lol

·
Registered
96 hatch SIR
1,334 Posts

Damns, rellie. You n/a guys sure are trying to prove sumthing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
didnt mean d15b 2 head,only a vtec d15 head,what about the d15b7 head.I heard theres something that makes it a bit more appealing than the y8(this should be the best flowing head of the ds)i think the combustion chamber is smaller,so on a 1600 block it would be really high compression.BTW what is the real mini-me build?.......That was the inspiration of my build,but information appreciated and accepted.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
which company sells good cams?and how would you go about getting LSD into your gearbox or get a jdm one from the zc crx or eg8 civics?Yeh i Know i need to do some serious research.Not really looking for anything crazy on the road jus something decent that can run with a stock twin cam vtec.I remember having a carbed d16 and this guy who went to school with my bro pull up and say whats under there a b16 then rev out his EK witha b16 swap laughing ,didnt feel too good about that.I eventually plan to go turbo but would like to get the Natural thing out of the way first.

·
FF Misfit
Accord
4,881 Posts
search around man. your in the fucking d series haven and theres so much info available if you look.
Looks at your avatar and laughs.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
lol,yeh i was jus doing that!Bisimoto has some interesting stuff,Zex,Gude.....but as Student was saying you have to get your combo right.You cant throw prts together and hope for a miracle or that things will be alright.

·
11,892 Posts
lol,yeh i was jus doing that!Bisimoto has some interesting stuff,Zex,Gude.....but as Student was saying you have to get your combo right.You cant throw prts together and hope for a miracle or that things will be alright.
Exactly. The guys putting down the "big" whp numbers N/A have studied shit like quench area in combustion chambers, header runner length, type of collector, etc all in the name of 1 or 2 extra whp here or there. Look around and read. We have some smart N/A guys but, they of all people on this board, aren't going to spoon feed you. If you have an intelligent question then ask. I suggest you start researching people's builds. Start with builthatch, rushi, and BigTuna's builds.

·
FF Misfit
Accord
4,881 Posts
I have a ton of respect for the guys making good numbers n/a w/ D's but if you really want to be fast n/a w/ a Honda for a reasonable budget swap to a B/H/K. If you're on a budget and want to be fast for as little as possible, boost is your friend.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Exactly. The guys putting down the "big" whp numbers N/A have studied shit like quench area in combustion chambers, header runner length, type of collector, etc all in the name of 1 or 2 extra whp here or there. Look around and read. We have some smart N/A guys but, they of all people on this board, aren't going to spoon feed you. If you have an intelligent question then ask. I suggest you start researching people's builds. Start with builthatch, rushi, and BigTuna's builds.
yeah thanx for pointing me in the right direction.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts