Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
not a wanksta
1,202 Posts
i always wondered this too, hope someone replies... btw have a z6 stock flywheel if you want it to lighten.. its yours, seriously get it out of my garage. frizee. i tried to give it to the "the EH" who i gave my z6 trans to. he didnt want it. take it....

·
Registered
636 Posts
just get a fidenza or act...

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,459 Posts
Some say the HF/VX was lighter, but everything I've came across has been 18-18.5 pounds........and yes some of those were HF/VX.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
save a civic said:
i always wondered this too, hope someone replies... btw have a z6 stock flywheel if you want it to lighten.. its yours, seriously get it out of my garage. frizee. i tried to give it to the "the EH" who i gave my z6 trans to. he didnt want it. take it....
how can you lighten a stock flywheel?

·
Registered
879 Posts
graveltravel said:
how can you lighten a stock flywheel?
have some of the material shaved off at a machine shop and have it balanced. i wouldn't suggest doing this though. i've heard some bad stories about lightening stock flywheels. if you want a lighter flywheel go aftermarket, otherwise i believe most any D-series flywheel will do.

·
not a wanksta
1,202 Posts
most people i know have been running lightened stock flywheels for several years (about 6 or 7) with pretty quick cars (~200-250 hp) btw... aftermarket flywheels werent always so cheap. none have ever had problems over the years. they all went to 11-12 lbs i think. i wanted it lighter and that's why i went with 8.5lbs. i havent seen a legitimate problem with lightened flywheels yet.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,459 Posts
to cut a stocker down to 12 lbs and balanced is $175, to buy a XACT is $210.

Lighter flywheels are only faster if you don't have traction when drag racing. If you have traction, the heavier (with in reason) the better.

Helps holeshot the car from a start and on the upshifts.

·
not a wanksta
1,202 Posts
hell yeah it's a better idea to buy a new one.. i did it too. but some of these guys know someone who can do the lightening and balancing and get it done for next to nothing. i got my 8.5lb for $135 ...

·
Registered
636 Posts
transzex said:
to cut a stocker down to 12 lbs and balanced is $175, to buy a XACT is $210.

Lighter flywheels are only faster if you don't have traction when drag racing. If you have traction, the heavier (with in reason) the better.

Helps holeshot the car from a start and on the upshifts.
well i dont fully << agree i understand your point..thats all good. but with a light flywheel you just need change you driving technic... in my 135 HP civic i just go at 4 K rpm.. with a fidenza and not many follow me the first 60 meters or so even M3 and dohc and so on..

cause i would ratter go small slicks and light flywheel, then big fat heavy slicks and heavy mother fucker 40 pund fly just so i could spin them alittle at start from 9000 rpm... (if you get my point :)

i think what you are sayin makes sense, but go for other then our "high" power, small cubic and high rev engines.. think of the force you produce at 7000 K then with a V8 a 2000 K the rpm and slingshot effekt is the same but at 7000 RPM the light fly becomes HEAVY !!!... where at 2000 rpm it is not all that much if they had the same flywheel

:)

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,459 Posts
140 chp + 100 shot of nitrous, launching at 7000 rpm on 20" slicks.....perfect combo.......

put in 8 pounder, bog the launch..........at 7800 rpm!!!!!!!!!

·
0 Posts
are all 88-91 si flywheels the same some dude here locally is selling a 8 pounder for like 75 bux. its a factory lightend one. just wondering if it would fit my 88

·
Registered
636 Posts
transzex said:
put in 8 pounder, bog the launch..........at 7800 rpm!!!!!!!!!
140 chp + 100 shot of nitrous, launching at 7000 rpm on 20" slicks.....perfect combo....... << stock flywheel or ?

E

·
0 Posts
lightest OEM flywheel was a JDM Civic ETi @ around 15lbs, not much savings over the standard 18lbs units.

E

·
0 Posts
yes its a stock 92-00 spec unit slightly shaved off and balanced (just like ITR flywheel) it does fit and works on all 88-00 d-series

1 - 20 of 23 Posts