Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
894 Posts
a little in the hole is normal and is desired for safety and any future need to mill
thats the beauty of the zeal - it tells you what you have

punch in a bunch of oem setups
you will never see zero piston/deck

·
Registered
894 Posts
one piston out of how many...???
you know how big the chambers are in a d16a1 (stock pg6)...???
there is significantly higher safety margin in the d16a1 head

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
See that is what I am having trouble with. I have zero deck height but this I guess may have been covered in the other tread. The question now is what is the comp height of the pistons that I have that are sitting at zero deck height. If they have the same dome I could be in alot of trouble cutting the original .020" off the head and would opt for the smallest amount possible.

·
Registered
894 Posts
i'd do some hardcore google searching to see if anyone has reported a difference in compression height

just because you are looking at your pistons in a block doesn't mean you can see .039
unless you are using a good dial

has any milling been done already...?
sorry i cant judge some of your comments

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I did the search after I posted this post.

There is a YCP vs NPR thread on here around the top that states what I am saying.

I could see .040" with my eye but I will use the dial next friday when I get back to the machine shop to verify the actual piston to deck height.

·
()*#$(*$
93 Legend L Coupe.
11,404 Posts
Uh, you can definitely tell a 1mm difference in compression height in pistons just by a side by side comparison. If you can't, you deifnitely need glasses or something.

If they are sitting at deck height, within a few thou, that definitely means they have ~30mm compression height. Now all we need to know is the dome volume!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Found this and I will see if I can try it out.

Here is there procedure:

CCing the cylinder heads is easier than ccing the area above the piston at top dead center. If your pistons are flat tops or dished, and are below the deck surface of the cylinder block at TDC, you simply bring the piston up to the top of its travel (TDC) measured with a dial indicator and place the plexiglass plate over the top of the piston. The 464-cid big-block Buick used here for photos had 35ccs above the piston at TDC. However, if the piston has a large dome and any part of the dome extends above the cylinder block at TDC, you must cc the piston with it positioned exactly one inch down in the cylinder bore. Fill the area above the piston with fluid, then subtract this volume from the calculated cylinder volume at one inch and you get the piston dome displacement in ccs.

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
Uh, you can definitely tell a 1mm difference in compression height in pistons just by a side by side comparison. If you can't, you deifnitely need glasses or something.
what i was thinking. :)

·
Registered
894 Posts
actually you can judge total piston height pretty easy side by side
but compression height is from the center of the pin

if you looked at a set of p07 & p08 side by side i bet you would say they are the same
but they are slightly different
throw in a set of ycp vitaras and you would be wondering what the hell is going on
then a set of p2j and i bet you will crap yourself

why...?
because there's no numbers for you to go by and nobody telling you in a thread somewhere what they are

but glad you found the info you need

1 - 20 of 23 Posts