Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
88 CRX
1,846 Posts
Been wondering this myself, i believe it's for emissions, and someone told me that you didn't need it if you're not gonna be tested anytime soon, but i was scared to yank mine out with so many damn hoses attached to it, i wasn't sure which i could just plug, and which had to go somewhere.

·
CR-Vtakin
your mom
11,459 Posts
It is part of the Evap system, which recirculates unburnt fuel vapors from the gas tank back to the intake and the charcoal inside the canister. The purpose of this is to keep the environment clean and not to waste fuel.

·
Registered
255 Posts
It is used to absorb vapors during the refueling process. Once underway, the solenoid on top of the canister opens and manifold vacuum purges the vapors from the tank. That's all it does.

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
^^^^ Good shit by both of you :)

·
CR-Vtakin
your mom
11,459 Posts
cleaner engine bay and weight reduction. the weight of the canister really is minimal. like 2lbs max I would bet for the entire assembly. mine is just going to stay in my car.

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
The only time you should remove it is if you accidentally break the plastic nipples coming out of it. Otherwise, you should just leave it.

·
Banned
939 Posts
Since the canister absorbs fuel vapors, removing the canister allows the tank to vent into the engine bay. Those who elect to remove it should ensure there is no sparking, i.e: loose wires, leaking plug wires.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts