Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had an awful spectre filter and elbow on old engine and it was bad for a few specific reasons.

The filter itself was cheap, so I'm replacing that with a K&N come filter.
The elbow was ziptied to the strut tower, and that's awful.
The elbow was significantly larger diameter than the throttle body, which bothered me too.

In all, I only need a tube with the nipple and a silicone coupler. I don't have a large budget for this but I want something good that doesn't have problems. That mounts properly, that is the correct diameter.

·
\/Your Mom Was Here\/
Vibe GT
4,833 Posts
"Mounts properly" Means it will cost more than a generic fit all style.

I used a $30 ebay kit and the filter was cheap and didn't fit right and the tube rubbed the hood and touched the fuel return lines which I had to extend and zip tie.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
Make your own intake.

grab a 2.5inch 45degree elbow form ebay. Look for the better re-enforced coupelrs instead of teh stiff and garbage solid silicone couplers that flal off every 5 minutes.

grab a short piece of 2.5inch OD exhaust tubing.

grab any 2.5inch filter that has an actual brand name. I like BLOX velocity kits with a 6inch filter and 6x2.5 velocity stack made of plastic.

BOOM, nice midrange response increase, couple ponies up top, and doesnt reduce low rom power hardly at all.

I have a pretty long and steep hill to my parents house and the custom intake made the uphill part quite noticably better.

Pretty rare to have an intake make something noticeable, as NONE of them have an actual real velocity stack.

Cost me around 100 bucks to make, only because the filter/stack was used on another vehicle, which only needed that initial 60-80 dollar purchase.

I dont think it would be worthwhile starting from nothing though.

factory airbox and tubing will be perfectly fine, and better than what you can make from spectre or other partstore stuff.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
"Mounts properly" Means it will cost more than a generic fit all style.

I used a $30 ebay kit and the filter was cheap and didn't fit right and the tube rubbed the hood and touched the fuel return lines which I had to extend and zip tie.
These are the kind of problems I don't want to have. I'm almost thinking about just ordering the K&N filter for now and clamping it to the throttle body until I figure out which tube I'll use. Dunno what to do with the hose that's meant to connect before the butterfly valve if I do this though.

Well I've got an old AEM cold air intake pipe laying around if you're interested. Shipping would cost me more than I'd like to pay. I might have the short ram tube one laying around too.
I'm definitely interested in purchasing your CAI tube, I don't need AEM brand but if it's gonna cost less than a Chinese no-name replica then it's perfect.

I suppose I'm basically lookin for a CAI pipe, I was looking on eBay for a while today but the ads are all so shit so it's hard to tell which of them will be any good.

Good to know that it's 2.5 inch, I'm gonna go on Amazon and order the K&N cone filter and a waterproof sock for it and then get back to figuring out if any of the cheap eBay shit tubes will work well.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,099 Posts
buy a cold side intercooler pipe, hack off what you don't need, throw cone filter on end.....profit?

or how about this

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's actually probably exactly what I'll do, will put the filter in a spot where it's getting forced lots of air.

I chose a filter and sock, a 62mm reverse tapered racing filter which doesn't have a solid top, just more filter baby.
RX3810XD & RX3810DK by K&N

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
those inter-FOOLER kits suck ass. filters dont breathe for shit, generally are just as bad as the ebay cone filters, and look nasty.

Keep in mind, on a near stock D series motor, you could have a filter sitting above the exhaust manifold drawing in hot air, and you will not notice the difference when compared to picking air from outside.

Actually, no engine under 200hp NA would show much of a difference.

Just make sure engine is getting clean filtered air, and do whatever you want to attain that goal.

·
4,099 Posts
those inter-FOOLER kits suck ass. filters dont breathe for shit, generally are just as bad as the ebay cone filters, and look nasty.

Keep in mind, on a near stock D series motor, you could have a filter sitting above the exhaust manifold drawing in hot air, and you will not notice the difference when compared to picking air from outside.

Actually, no engine under 200hp NA would show much of a difference.

Just make sure engine is getting clean filtered air, and do whatever you want to attain that goal.

·
4,099 Posts
this isn't the forum for buying/selling. take it to the pm's.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
a pipe is a pipe is a pipe no matter whos name is on the sticker
Yet they're not all created equal. There are ill fitting Chinese produced parts and also good quality Chinese replicas. I'm looking for the latter. Sucks that Dirty D still hasn't responded to my message

·
Registered
47 Posts
After all the issues with running a "CAI" I reinstalled the factory setup and did not notice a drop in power. Yeah I said it.

·
OMG TOTALLY COOL TITLE!!!!
88 y49 crx
3,888 Posts
Buy SRI tube, fitted to the factory air box with good drop in filter, done. If you wanna be fancy, use CAI "s" pipe off air box down behind bumper

1 - 20 of 25 Posts