Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 1998 civic lx sedan and the motor is getting wore out so i have a parts motor 1.6l that i want to build to have ready to swap so im looking for the best build that fits my budget/expectations.

i dont plan on taking the car to the track. just looking for something to use on the streets that can pass alot of cars. something like 300+whp.

so what are my options/prices/level of hardness. and where can i get some details on how to do these.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
im fairly new to the civic family so any help on getting engine types and tranny types etc would help greatly ! also my car is manual tranny

·
Registered
93 del sol
42 Posts
for that kinda power you will need pistons rods boost....google 300hp d series or something like that you will find a lot of build threads

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
atleast yours a 5psd, mines auto, but my goals are only 150-180

how much is the budget? indicator if you should build or swap.
well im not sure what is a good budget. id just like to know some rough build prices. id like to keep the 1.6l and build it so i dont gotta change ecus and wiring and motor mounts etc. im looking to build a sleeper. i can only do like 195kmh right now but id like to be able to do 220-240kmh to keep up with the damn integras around here haha

·
Never finishes (TWSS)
91 Civic SI hb/ 01 GSR
1,918 Posts
300whp, somthing like 4000$ but you need to know how to do the work your self and based on what you have said so far in this post you cant also your only option is a turbo and a build bottom end

190whp you could do for 1500 and dont touch the bottom end and that will take you to your 235 or or what ever your talking about. and where exactly are you chasing down these integras that are going 240? if tis on the street just quit while your ahead and leave the car stock

·
Registered
Black/Green Civic HB
753 Posts
For 300hp your going to need:
Convert to obd1 w/ chipped ecu ( and a good tune! )
Forged rods
Pistons ( vitaras are cheap )
Injectors
Intercooler
Turbo
Mani.
Wastegate
BOV
Oil lines and return
Fuel pump ( warbro )
And probaly while the motors apart,
Oil pump
Water pump
And all new gaskets/ bearings

At the minimum.

·
Never finishes (TWSS)
91 Civic SI hb/ 01 GSR
1,918 Posts
complete turbo kit (turbo, intercooler, piping, BOV, waste gate, torbo manifold, oil lines, cuplings, down pipe)
chipped ecu
injectors
maybe a cam if you want one, it will help make the power easier and you can run less boost, not needed tho but highly recamended
and a good working not smoking motor to start with
oil pump
water pump
timing belt
Z6, Y8, Y5 intake manifold, again only to help the motor out, make its life easier making the power, not needed tho
and most important is the TUNE

just search a few stock motor turbo builds.

you should be able to get 175-185whp and have a safe motor you dont have to worry about as long as it has a good tune.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok then my next question is what mods can i do that are farily simple to increase some hp? i got a header and cold air at the moment. give me some ideas

·
Never finishes (TWSS)
91 Civic SI hb/ 01 GSR
1,918 Posts
ill spoon feed you here in a minute or 2 when i get back from smoking my joint and getting n the shower

·
Registered
10 Posts
Exhaust, cam/tune, Maybe put in an ex or si tranny, and pick up a y8 intake mani. I think that's one of the best stock ones to get.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
im new to this civic thing. just looking for alittle more power. evan guy i am sending you a pm. i live in nb

·
Registered
1988 Honda CRX
6,676 Posts
We have come down a long way from 300hp.

What budget do you really have.

NA will not get any real power increase that you can easily feel in the seat of the pants unless you spend a lot of money. A good exhaust, cam and compression raise will get you most of what can be simply and cheaply had. A port and polish, springs and CAI will get you more, but you will get top end at the cost of bottom end.

By the time you do all that you could buy a cheap turbo kit and have 100hp more

Whatever you do it will need a tune to be safe and to actually realise the power increase. It sounds like you don't actually have the budget for it.

A second hand junk yard turbo with inbuilt waste gate, DSM injectors, A DIY adapter plate on a HF manifold, a junk yard front mount inter cooler, a junk yard BOV and some piping and hose for charge pipes, exhaust pipes oil drain and maybe water cooling along with the ODB1 conversion and chipped ECU and a tune will get you a bit under 200hp for the most bang for your bucks. A turbo boosted 200hp Civic will still surprise a heck of a lot of people on the road and it will be an increase you certainly can feel.

·
Registered
1997 Civic Ex Turbo
1,826 Posts
If cost is not really an issue, then look at my build. I'm not saying I just spent on anything I could, I'm just saying that I decided to buy all my parts new, from real companies (like Go-Autoworks). But I definitely spent my money wisely.

If cost is an issue, then just look at my build and get your parts used.

Some advice: set a power goal, set a financial and time budget, and be realistic.

There is a huge difference between 300whp, 200whp, and 100whp. Try to get a ride in a turbo civic before you build one. 300whp is pretty much the limit of street useable power.

Don't forget about suspension and tires.

·
Registered
557 Posts
i think a bottle of nos or two would give you the most power and put a big cannon on the exhaust so you dont burn up the stock muffler

·
Registered
1988 Honda CRX
6,676 Posts
Neither of you have enough history here for trading.

This site has strict rules on that for very good reasons.

·
Registered
my civic
99 Posts
honestly? you have a lot to learn. Maybe just rebuild the motor to stock specs for the learning experience and then intake, header, exhaust. Or just save for a b-series motor to swap in since its a lot easier than building a motor.

·
Registered
1997 Civic Ex Turbo
1,826 Posts
honestly? you have a lot to learn. Maybe just rebuild the motor to stock specs for the learning experience and then intake, header, exhaust. Or just save for a b-series motor to swap in since its a lot easier than building a motor.
In all honesty, I found swapping out the old engine and swapping in the built engine was harder than actually building the engine. Granted, you'll have to "swap" either way.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts