Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
93 maybe 94 coupe
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So on uhp 205 50 tires it is super darty but on 175/70 13 winter tires its rock solid. Doesnt follow the road at all. Whats the main factor here?

Sidewall give? Width? Rounded vs square design? Id blame camber but the smaller soft tire cures it.

Got some 13 inch factory alloys im planning on fitting with 185/60s or 175/70s and my choices are "uhp" federals or the achilles 122 which... Seems more all season than the summer touring tire it claims to be.

Any experience?

Oh!

Im also worried my h&r touring cup kit with sport spring rates and matched (read: stiff) dampers may not like less grip. Am I gonna kill myself because my stuff is too stiff and my tires break loose before i can lean into em proper? ...seriously a concern.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,470 Posts
does it do it with larger wheels?

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
766 Posts
The winter tires are much softer, so the compound likely wiggles before the steering parts wiggle, making it seem like they dart less, but it's a band aid for something else.

How much camber are you running? Have you brought it for an alignment, or just using tape measure?

A very tiny bit of toe in is a magical thing, should keep you straight ahead and not dart.

If the guy doing the alignment keeps shooting for 0 degrees toe when making adjustments, that's a good reason why you're darting around. I would make sure the guy doing alignment is experienced if you are bringing it to a shop. I've seen many noobs starting out doing alignments get you in the "green" zones on a print out, but you can still end up in the green with 0 degrees toe and even fucking slight negative camber/caster. Experienced alignment techs would look at most of these print outs and slap the noobs, because the noob typically wonders why his test drive doesn't track straight, even though he's in the "green".

Other than that, as transzex said, bent stuff or worn bushings will make a good alignment session null and void in a lot of cases. Experienced techs check front end before doing any adjustments, and they usually let you know if shit is fucked.

I run federal 595rsr's on 16's, 2 degrees camber on both sides and 0.5 degree total toe in. It tracks straight, and I can steer the car with my wiener lol

Just food for thought :)

·
Registered
93 maybe 94 coupe
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Zero toe is what the alignment shop set it at.

Camber is -1.8 degrees front how do those 595s ride and handle? Suspension has been inspected by a pro and is fine. You running a 50 series sidewall? Any thoughts on the tire?

Anyone have thoughts on the spring rate/stiff dampers in relation to grip, tire width, and tyre designation (touring vs uhp in this case)

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
766 Posts
Zero toe is what the alignment shop set it at.

Camber is -1.8 degrees front how do those 595s ride and handle? Suspension has been inspected by a pro and is fine. You running a 50 series sidewall? Any thoughts on the tire?

Anyone have thoughts on the spring rate/stiff dampers in relation to grip, tire width, and tyre designation (touring vs uhp in this case)
Your camber is great.

Unless the front end is brand new and super tight, 0 degree total toe should be avoided. 0.25 - 0.50 degrees total toe (0.125-0.250 on each side) is recommended, this should help with the darting around.

When the front end components arecworn in like typical cars are, the slight toe helps to load the joints when driving down the road. The result is usually the tires track at almost 0 degrees, but there is still enough toe in that the wheels can't "choose" to move in or out from the centerline when driving in a straight line. This controls the darting. You will hardly notice tire scuffing or wear with this little toe in, the rubber typically flexes in response. Just keep tires rotated like normal, and they will all wear fine.

I'm running the 595's in 205/45/16. Last year when they were on, holy crap could I turn a corner. The ride quality was also really good, and having adjustable dampers helped a ton to really dial in the feel.

Grip from my all season set compared to the federal set is night and day. I test and tune on the all seasons, then put the federal wheels on when I want the grip. Last year, I could burn the all seasons on wastegate pressure, throw the federals on, nothing. Couldn't even bark em in first when boost came in. Might be a different story this year on 20+ psi haha.

·
Registered
93 maybe 94 coupe
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I tried adding a little toe once, ended up getting a new 0 degree alignment because i messed it up. The guys doing alignment at the track are my idols because they are bosses at it

·
Registered
7 Posts
Proper tire balancing or balancing and wheel alignment can help reduce tramlining. I had tramlining problems because I used different tires on front and back. I heard that the stiffness of the sidewall also affects tramlining.

slo edit* not sure if youre a real person, but next time, don't sneak an outside link in. you were close to being permabanned for spam. if Im talking to a bot, disregard, Ill ban you when you do it again

1 - 8 of 8 Posts