·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all just wanting to ask what is best for a mini me swap, a

d16y8 head
or a
d16z6 head?????​

im wanting to know so i can get the most out of the swap on my d16y7, thanks in advance to anyone who replies , aurelio :)

·
The Great Weldini
91 civic
8,904 Posts
hey!!! try not to get knickers in a bunch! bullocks! no need to act this way. what's your bottom end y8?

·
Registered
88 ED6
5,511 Posts
He has a Y7 bottom end.

I'd vote Z6; im biased though since I have a D15B VTEC(Z6 head).

The Y8 has one port slightly turned I believe, to help swirl, but this can hinder flow a bit(probably negligible when comparing stock flow, might show when you start building it). The Y8 also has quench pads, which is a plus since it helps reduce detonation and increase compression.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sorry for wanting a quick reply but im wanting to bid for 1 on e-gay, and what is the difference between y8 and z6 anyway???? :confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
88 ED6
5,511 Posts

·
Registered
EG Final Year
893 Posts
Y8 in this case. Why would you go Z6 it's a big ass hassle and it shouldn't be with such a straight forward head swap.

Z6 has a larger combustion chamber volume, the y8 has quench pads that decrease the volume in the combustion chamber.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
wow u guys know what you are talking about , now i know that the y8 has "quench pads:confused: " and that the z6 has bad airflow, i never knew any of this until now but i will get learning and taking notes,

so to me it's pointing towards the y8 so far

i will be adding a y8 intake manifold on anyway to help with the swap, so if i get a y8 head it will match ok right along with a p2p ecu???

·
Registered
88 ED6
5,511 Posts
wow u guys know what you are talking about , now i know that the y8 has "quench pads:confused: " and that the z6 has bad airflow, i never knew any of this until now but i will get learning and taking notes,

so to me it's pointing towards the y8 so far

i will be adding a y8 intake manifold on anyway to help with the swap, so if i get a y8 head it will match ok right along with a p2p ecu???
Who said Z6 has bad flow? The Y8 has bad upper RPM flow compared to the Z6.

·
Registered
EG Final Year
893 Posts
Forgot to mention the ports oops. The Y8 has swirl type intake ports to promote better air velocity which is helpful at lower rpms. The z6 has straight or equal ports which is good at high rpm <-- Couldn't word that properly. I'll try and dig up a pic of the two heads or if someone has it linked maybe they can post it up.

Go with the Y8 so you don't have to convert to OBD1, timing gear problem because of the keyway, there are other small things that you can read all about in write ups. Basically your car will run like a factory vtec Y8 whereas if you toss a z6 head up in there it'll cost you more and it won't run as well without some tuning atleast.

·
Registered
88 ED6
5,511 Posts

·
Registered
91 CRX Si
4,454 Posts
Reactions: K2e2vin

·
Registered
1997 Civic Hatch D18Y8 M62 S/C
2,666 Posts
Using a p2p ECU is one way (perhaps the best) to activate VTEC, and yes it'll work with a Y8 IM. You'll have to convert to a 2 wire IACV on the IM or remove the IACV, plug the holes, and continue to use your 3-wire on the IACV on your Y7 TB. It might also be a goos idea to use Y8 injectors as the fuel maps in the p2p expect them.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Forgot to mention the ports oops. The Y8 has swirl type intake ports to promote better air velocity which is helpful at lower rpms. The z6 has straight or equal ports which is good at high rpm <-- Couldn't word that properly. I'll try and dig up a pic of the two heads or if someone has it linked maybe they can post it up.

Go with the Y8 so you don't have to convert to OBD1, timing gear problem because of the keyway, there are other small things that you can read all about in write ups. Basically your car will run like a factory vtec Y8 whereas if you toss a z6 head up in there it'll cost you more and it won't run as well without some tuning atleast.
You wouldn't have to go obd1 because of a z6 head. The y8 dizzy wouldn't bolt up though without cutting one of the legs.

There are no timing issues unless you start switching up cams/cam gears. A z6 cam with z6 cam gear can go in a y8 head and run fine and vise versa. Obviously a z6 head on a y7 block will have no timing issues.

If i've missed anything on this please correct me.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.