Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to re-build my old engine, what im wondering is what the block is made of. Is it aluminum all the way through? Aluminum with cast iron sleeves? Or Cast Iron all the way through? Im hoping to have the old engine re-built by sometime in april/may and i'll be starting to take it apart later today. I want to get the block machined and add an D16Z6 head to it as well as performance internal parts. Im leaning toward skunk2 parts, but if anyone has any other ideas let me know.

Thanks
Kevin

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
the block is aluminum with steel sleeves and as far as internals there isnt much avalible for a d15 block. but the head has lots of options

·
Registered
2005 Civic Si
2,779 Posts
I want to re-build my old engine, what im wondering is what the block is made of. Is it aluminum all the way through? Aluminum with cast iron sleeves? Or Cast Iron all the way through? Im hoping to have the old engine re-built by sometime in april/may and i'll be starting to take it apart later today. I want to get the block machined and add an D16Z6 head to it as well as performance internal parts. Im leaning toward skunk2 parts, but if anyone has any other ideas let me know.

Thanks
Kevin
Bisimoto > Junk2

http://www.bisimoto.net/store/

·
Registered
91 CRX Si
4,454 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Whats wrong with skunk 2 internals? I looked at the bisimoto stuff and they have some nice performance parts as well. Since im actually new to the performance parts scene whats the best company to buy from for engine parts? I wanna get the most out of my engine even if I have to pay the price for it.

Thanks
Kevin

·
Premium Member
956 Posts
Whats wrong with skunk 2 internals? I looked at the bisimoto stuff and they have some nice performance parts as well. Since im actually new to the performance parts scene whats the best company to buy from for engine parts? I wanna get the most out of my engine even if I have to pay the price for it.

Thanks
Kevin
The problem with "best" is that it's a subjective value of something and therefore cannot be proved. IMO what happened to Skunk2 is that they started producing exponentially more products as customer demand increased, thus requiring them to find the cheapest production methods possible in order to maximize profit. This has lead to an increase in total product failures, due not only to decreased production quality but to the sheer number of parts that they sell now vs. when they were Skunkworks (i.e. more total in use = more total failure, even if the percent of total failure does not increase).
If you really have the money to spend, find the company that produces the smallest amount of total parts, because IMO, they will have the strictest control over production quality. Just my two pennies though...

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well just because they produce very little doesnt mean they produce quality either. If they are a smaller company they still may use lesser materials. Atleast skunk2 or bisimoto has a name behind them and im sure they would look after their customers if anything went wrong? Im no expert but customer service is pretty important. But im pretty sure there is a quality control protocol at any kind of factory (every 50-100 products made 1 is checked for quality). And if the quality isnt there then they check a few more and maybe the last 50-100 all have to be thrown away if they have an imperfection. If im wrong about this let me know.

Kevin

·
Registered
same as above
1,084 Posts
bisimoto=only n/a
Ignorant statement read here
http://www.d-series.org/forums/forced-induction/121289-bisimotos-turbo-build-quest-700whp-d16z-wagovan.html

Well just because they produce very little doesnt mean they produce quality either. If they are a smaller company they still may use lesser materials. Atleast skunk2 or bisimoto has a name behind them and im sure they would look after their customers if anything went wrong? Im no expert but customer service is pretty important. But im pretty sure there is a quality control protocol at any kind of factory (every 50-100 products made 1 is checked for quality). And if the quality isnt there then they check a few more and maybe the last 50-100 all have to be thrown away if they have an imperfection. If im wrong about this let me know.

Kevin
I have seen numerous companys out there sell shitty poor quality parts. When I think of skunk2 I think ebay coil overs its just the way I have associated them in my head. Just because they have a name doesn't mean they will take of you. Trust the people on here if they say something is shit there is probably a reason. You just have to be a little open minded and make your decision from there.

·
Registered
90 honda civic wagon
44 Posts
i agree most of us have learned what to get and what not to get by trail and error if it works good if it dosent work then it dosent thats part of the game.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well obviously I wanna save myself the money and time if I can of replacing parts in the future. So I want good quality parts that last awhile. Im open minded im just saying how do you know if your buying parts from a company that has low production and high quality rather then high production low quality? Can you give me an example of one of these companies?

·
Im Bringing TSEXY Back!
^^Look up
5,468 Posts
bisimoto=only n/a
Stop talking!

Kevin
The diffrence between a'lot of smaller companys and Skunk2 is that most smaller companus are only making a few products that they have specialized in threw hardcore R&D.
You can't compare Bisi to companys like Skunk2. I'll gurantee he does a ton more R&D and testing data then they ever would.

When you see Skunk2 camshafts snap in half inside a engine at the track you'll understand why there products are all over e-bay!

And know offense but why does every n00b love Skunk, Blox, Megan etc, etc.

9 times out of 10 when it comes to engine internals you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Never heard of blox, but I thought megan was a good company? I'v heard the name before from somewhere, not sure where. But I guess us N00b's love skunk2, blox, megan, etc because they are the companies with the most advertising and the ones that make the most product. The more people who own parts by them and tell people about them the more customers they will get if they give them good reviews. So far I love my skunk2 megapower exhuast..., i'd tell someone to go out and buy one for their car.

Kevin

·
Registered
554 Posts
i read that and i also noticed hes using a split housing turbo without a split housing manifold with only one half of the exhaust gasses beinge released through the wastegate. very poor design

Stop talking!
just cause i dont ride his nuts is no reason to tell me to stop talking. read reviews about his forced induction parts (namely cams that make less power than stock) and then you will see what im talking about.

·
wheres my money man!!
11,333 Posts
bisi=$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

·
Registered
^^^^^^
416 Posts
Well obviously I wanna save myself the money and time if I can of replacing parts in the future. So I want good quality parts that last awhile. Im open minded im just saying how do you know if your buying parts from a company that has low production and high quality rather then high production low quality? Can you give me an example of one of these companies?

Want good quality parts that will last awhile? Get OEM Honda, z6 OEM parts make excellent upgrades for the D15B2!

As for the bottom end...use OEM bearings and rings, replace rod bolts with ARP's, and use ARP head studs. Everything else stock. Great non-turbo bottom end that can be revved to 8k all day if you wish.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Want good quality parts that will last awhile? Get OEM Honda, z6 OEM parts make excellent upgrades for the D15B2!

As for the bottom end...use OEM bearings and rings, replace rod bolts with ARP's, and use ARP head studs. Everything else stock. Great non-turbo bottom end that can be revved to 8k all day if you wish.
Well can these parts get me 300 w.h.p? Thats my over-all goal. I guess I should say that im willing to save up for the right parts. Whether it ends up costing me $1000 or it ends up costing me $5000. I want the best. I dont wanna go from stock, to a bit better then stock. I wanna go from stock to the best. Cut out all the crap in between and long term saves me money and time. I went from stock to my skunk2 megapower exhaust which i'll probably never have to upgrade anytime soon. Some people slowly build up their ride over 3-5 years adding parts as they have extra money and uprading when they can. I want to have my car finished by summer 2010.

Kevin

·
racist-bigot-sexist-homophob
11,892 Posts
If you can spend up to 5k then fuck a d-series and put together a K swap.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts