Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
EG8 Civic Ferio
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am looking for some help finding out what I've gotten my hands on. To say I'm a noob is a bit of an understatement. I do know my way around a car and an engine (mechanically-wise) but not only is this my first D series, its my first honda. Its also my first car in about 12 years. I've been in to bikes for a long time but we had a baby boy this week so I needed a car. I swapped my bike for an EG8 Ferio, the guy I swapped it with said it had a 1.6 vtec but after a bit of inspection turns out its a D15B with a vtec head. The guy I got it from didnt have much of an idea what was in it. I found some info saying that some JDM Ferios had a stock D15B vtec producing 130bhp but I have asked around and some say it could be a mini me. How can I tell the difference? If its not a full mini me, I would like to complete the build. Also what kind of bhp could you expect from a mini me?

All help and info would be very gratefully recieved, thanks

·
Registered
98 Civic CX-T on E85
1,797 Posts
stats:d15b sohc vtec 127hp at the crank probably not a mini me...welcome to the site read the stickies there good info!!!

·
Registered
EG8 Civic Ferio
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies, here are some pics. Also, it has a s20 tranny, seems to be alot of them out there but cant really find out if its good or bad or what might be better, any feelings on this?

Attachments

·
Registered
98 Civic CX-T on E85
1,797 Posts
did that s20 tranny come with the motor?? the way you check it is if its stamped B000 its an ex/si which is a shorter geared tranny if its stamped A000 its the cx dx lx tranny which is taller geared. ideally the ex/si is going to be the better tranny as far as using it for racing and the cx dx lx is better for highway and fuel economy. the location of the stamp is i believe on the passenger side right next to the axle shaft its a little circle and inside is the tranny code.

·
Registered
EG8 Civic Ferio
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, it came with the motor as far as i know, the car is as it was at time of import . Will check it out tomorrow and let you know the results. Cant see a thing under it in the dark and its nearly impossible to get a jack under it, its been lowered about 60mm

·
Registered
18 Posts
Nice lookin ride bro does your d15b have 3stage vtec? I have. D15b in my 91 si nice lil motor not too fast but it gets out its own way.

·
Registered
EG8 Civic Ferio
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dont think so. I know it definitely kicks in around 4500rpm, you can hear the change in the exhaust note. Sounds sweet when your really thrashing it down the road

·
Registered
EG8 Civic Ferio
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, the tranny is stamped B000 so it looks like I got a good one. The head is stamped p08 and from what I've gathered on these forums, this is a d16z6 head. Is this right? I dont know what cam gear or pistons its running but I will be checking when I do the timing belt, due to be done soon. Correct me if I'm wrong but so far it seems to be JDM D15B Block with D16Z6 Head (startings of a mini me build) and all it will need then is PM7/P29 pistons and Y8 gasket to complete it

·
Registered
2000 Honda Civic EX
525 Posts

·
Registered
891 Posts
The Z6 and d15b are the same casting with different cam profiles. The d15b being the more aggressive of the two. Id wager that it's not a mini-me. You can only check pistons with the head off, which you don't need to do for a timing belt change. I wouldn't change the head gasket until needed. The compression bump won't be that much.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts