Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
00' Ek, 79'z28
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where to start,well lets start off by the fact for someone that has been using d-series for a few years now as a lurker.Since I'm back in the Honda game I decided what the heck I'll sign up and join the party. Only to my surprise things have changed, when I go to search for what would have been a simple tech question yes I do use the search and once upon a time I didn't have to dig threw so much crap just to find an answer. What gives !?! All I come across is a similar question to the answer I seek and all I find are threads full discussion that just goes waaaayyy off topic. post after post of "go search the threads" or "you need a swap to a manual trans" after the user was asking about spark plugs or something totally unrelated. I know this may come off as a rant of some sort but I've seen some change in this site .. Any of us wont do any help for each other if we don't guide I sure as heck didn't sign up or come to this site because I knew it all. just think about what you reply . I understand we all joke people ask some uneducated questions, but just try to help you don't have to give them a straight answer just a link suggest Google maybe the question they're asking is the wrong one.... just think - ho0nage

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
When we say "search the threads" we mean your last statement. I think part of the problem is the searches people use, and the terminology in those searches.

When we tell them to search, I provide links quite often, they cry and just want the answers. Unfortunately this is part of our societies issues as of late, we want the answer not the problem to find the solution, this means no one learns we just ride the coat tails of the previous generations like the Hilton heiresses.

I think the problem is not this site being mean, I think we need to deal with the root of the issue not post stuff like this telling us to be nice. It is a fine line that we seem to miss a lot, tell kids they are all winners and everyone gets a trophy and we get the kids we have now turning into adults expecting everything not putting in any work or feeling the heart ache of defeat. Defeat helps sharpen you or move you onto something you really love and are willing to sacrifice to get better at.

If you want answers go to yahoo, if you want help we are here.

·
Registered
95 ej2
731 Posts
Some threads are outdated.... Obviously things change that's the only complaint I have. Whether to bring the subject back up again because pretty much everything we do to Hondas now has been done before

·
Registered
Sloppy Jalopy
943 Posts
I'm sorry Hoonage but to be honest some people just lak some basic sense of understanding of simple or complex machine .

When a Man (or woe) has the want for something he gets off his ass and get's it done or if he is not able, he seeks out the knowledge to help him to learn it up .

so then now we are living in a new age and from my ignorant observations I have noticed there is a mass unconsciousness of the people .

maybe something has dulled their senses maybe distracted from what is real ...

·
Meat Popsicle
91 CRX Si
2,931 Posts
The problem is that people are lazy. Too lazy to search or too lazy to parse through the information if they did search.

Last year I found myself in a situation there I had to tear down an engine block in my driveway to be delivered at the machine shop in the morning. I was almost done but two dowel pins were stuck. I had already partially destroyed the dowel pin, it was late, dark outside, and cold.

Instead of posting and thread saying "OMG HELP NOW!", I searched "site:d-series.org dowel pins stuck" and found this thread from 2005 where bone posted a very simple solution that saved my ass:

http://www.d-series.org/forums/engine-building/16196-how-remove-dowel-pins.html

The answers are there. You may have to trudge through some shit to find what you need but, as said above, that's the cost of free information

·
Registered
EG8
1,055 Posts
Honestly I brought this up to the D-series help thing also.

But really nothing's changed and the whole bring a thread back up is not the best method if you have a question that is only partially answered. IMO, create a new thread with as specific title as you can and link back + quote what sources lead you to some incite, and then present your hypothesis and explain why you think that way. Then present your question.

The hardest part is that we want specifics and real questions that are geared more towards understanding rather than just pure facts. The facts are there... they've always been.

Show DSO that you are thinking and we can deliver The goods. Search terms are literally everything. My coworker could find any answer using google easily while I used to struggle... I have since learned the ways to the point that my questions are usually rooted in hard books/pure experience which google will struggle with...

The only reason we are even "helping you" with this question is because you're not giving us that dumb attitude on top of posting it in the right section.

·
Registered
EG8
1,055 Posts
On top of all that bone has since then slowed his noob bashing-ness. So we feel that is one of the fundamental differences here at DSO. And as we all "grew up" under that kind of system, we can now see the benefits of blowing off the lazy douches and attracting those higher quality type of conversations.

That is why I frequent DSO so much. The FL Fam in my immediate region is close given this fact.

·
Never finishes (TWSS)
91 Civic SI hb
1,867 Posts
I use to answer ever quiestion i knew the answer to. And you help so many people just to have them leave and never help any one else and the next day its a new guy asking the same thing. You help him he fixes problem and never returns to share the out come or what he has learned witu other. And a new guy comes the next day.. so after a while instead of help i just say search ive answered this three times last year alone. I now rry and help members with higher post counts because its an investment then not a waste of time.

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
Give a man a fish and feed him for a day
Teach a man to fish and feed him for live.

We tell people to search because 80% of the time what there asking has been covered time and time again.
I remember reading a thread where a guy ask a question and everyone just told him to search. He got all mad and said he did and all this.
But yet 2 post under his was a guy with the same problem and it was answer in that post.

If people did more searching before posting then when we told someone to search they wouldnt pull up 20 or 30 post of people being told to search.

So its hand and hand.

·
Well.......
2,488 Posts
Show DSO that you are thinking and we can deliver The goods. Search terms are literally everything.

The only reason we are even "helping you" with this question is because you're not giving us that dumb attitude on top of posting it in the right section.

Winner winner chicken dinner. Show us that you have put in the effort to try and figure it out and knowledge will flow like a river.

·
Registered
00' Ek, 79'z28
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
(Its late & and I've been drinking)

Im very pleased with everyone's input. I guess this topic for me started when I was just doing a quick refresher course for myself , and just saw how much of a pain in the tail pipe it was just to hunt down the answers for those trivial little questions. we sometimes present ourselfs with . yes google will always have more knowledge . I just wanted to see if anyone else has noticed a change . we can't save the world .. And you can't fix stupid . I'm personally going to be making a thread that's newer and not buried amongst posts and comments .. Just a good general knowledge for all sections .. I know all might think, ha good luck better luck seeing big foot. Its what I have to offer, so I mine as well Give it a go . if anyone has a link any link they feel is important .. Or just something that should be general knowledge . you can pm me or leave it here and I'll do the rest .

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,252 Posts
I gave upon the noon bashing, it used to work but people got even lazyier. If fact I have pretty much gave up.

Because I tried to answer every question I could, hence the insane post count, I learned to search for the answer to help. In the process I was learning.

Pats quote in my sig, it means more daily.

·
The Great Weldini
91 civic
8,901 Posts
when i have a problem i do a search and my threads pop. i usually find my answer by me answering them in my own threads. whoa, that's pretty awesome time traveling.

·
Retired From Hondas
2,796 Posts
The search function on here and HT is not the best when looking for a particular thread.

Ive even had issues looking for threads Ive started and typed in the exact thread name.

I just googled it and found it much quicker.

but the laziness has been documented and published by Honda Tuner magazine

Lazy Days - Spotlight - Honda Tuning Magazine

·
Registered
00' Ek, 79'z28
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Google does seem to have its perks not to mention all the other forums out there that can relate to d series and civic chassis and such. So where does that leave us? For hope to see a balance of a true forum community and information? I never had anything against the bashing to be honest I know its something like a school. Where you might have to go threw some hazing, but the support is there its all about proving your passion. Yes some people out there are only in search of information questions that I'm sure we can all answer a million ways especially when people ask for advice on a build. Honestly I think that's the thrill what makes this whole idea of a project exciting.So to see someone say for example "I want to make 200Hp " well there is a more than one way to make that happen .. simple Nitrous. Maybe people have just fallen short of the idea of a project. Everyone seems to be out for instant gratification. Maybe times have changed and I'm just blind to the fact of it. How do we bring awareness to or are the new kids on the block are just a lost cause ?

·
Registered
00' Ek, 79'z28
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Honestly I brought this up to the D-series help thing also.

well put... very well put and I did my best to not rant.

Not to mention all of you guys have given good input this is how a thread should be. Fair opinions displayed from all of you.

:willy_nilly:So what motor would be better for my CX a galileo 12 or galileo 24 ?
had to guys sorry lol

1 - 18 of 18 Posts