Honda D Series Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
I think us here on DSO have a better sense of practicality and purpose vs. the rest of the Honda world. I mean if you have the money to drop 10s of thousands of dollars on a 20 year old econobox why even buy a civic in the first place? I love these cars cause they're inexpensive, easy to maintain/modify, massive aftermarket support, huge performance piotential, etc.

The car world in general is fucked up cause everyone is to busy trying to get daps from other people! Build your car for you I say.

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
They stop laughing at your piece of shit when they can only see it through your dust.

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
It's a different generation coming up. It's first time drivers that usually get stuck with the old beater hondas and develop a passion for the cars. Kids these days don't want to work towards anything they want everything done for them. DIY is getting phased out. Most of the honda gurus around here are over the age of 25. Also the economy is junk and insurance companies make it almost unaffordable to get paint & body work for a good price. I have to agree with the OP on the fact that someone with a beater will nit pick a good looking car like mine, it happened at the first meet I went to after getting my car painted. people pretty much had their faces smashed up against my paint looking for defects. Then when I get a CF hood people say it's rice. w/e just too much hating. Also drag strips are getting shut down all over california. I'm in LA county and the closest tracks are bakersfield or vegas...

the last cali meet i went to I met some cool guys but we were not allowed to be in the parking lot due to police enforcement and poor planning. But every time I mention that at my work is a huge lot that we can all park and hangout in with nobody to bother us nobody pays any mind.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I gotta say, I feel like I'm listening to my niece and nephew talk about pokemon....

WTF is herafrush? or canibwhat?

All I know is that VW scene made it's way into the honda scene and ruined it. That's where all the bay shaving shit came from and wire tucks, brake line deletes etc...

VW dudes have been doing that to otherwise BONE STOCK cars for decades.

Here's my thing... who give a shit.

I do what I like to my car, I try to help others do what they want to their cars...

Everything is a matter of taste... and truth be told TONS of the dudes yammering about ricer this and whatever else that, prob. liked that shit at one time...

It's the same as all the condescending BS from forum users when someone asks a "stupid" question... guess what... YOU didn't know the answer at some point either... so either give the answer and STFU or just STFU.

I can remember going to a VW meet when I was in my teens, and just being shocked by how deuschy everyone was... they had done shit work to their shit cars and pretended like they were guarding the secrets of the universe... at one point some dude was avoiding a question to the point I was like... Dude did you even do this yourself? You don't seem to know WTF you're talking about.

And ALL of them treated the fact that I drove a honda like I was a black guy at a klan meeting...

I'm not a Honda "fan" I got a 93 civic and it freaking kicks ass, has TONS of aftermarket support, and is easier to work on that damn near any car I've ever worked on...

I'd be just as likely to get a Mazda Miata, or a Fox Body Mustang... I like cool cars that have tons of aftermarket support and proven chops in racing.

IMO VW sucks balls, I've driven tons of them and they're crap IMO, working on them is the only thing that sucks more than driving them. They have very nice interiors and pretty good styling (sometimes great) but the drive like poo IMO.

My dad had a 911 when I was in HS and I didn't really like that thing very much. The clutch ruins the driving experience. Spongy vague mud puddles. Otherwise it was a great car. The nissan sentra e 1.6 I had at that point handled almost as well and was WAY more fun to drive... obviously no where near as fast, but who gives a shit driving around normal streets/backroads.
herafrush refering to "hellaflush" just i say it with an asian accent:booty: hellaflush is essentially having crazy negative camber to the point where a $$$$$ suspension is utterly useless, thus making the car realistcally undrivable. Canibeat is a brand in socal that boasts a "lifestlye" of buying expensive shoes, clothes, collecting rare rims, and being herafrush

·
Registered
801 Posts
I also agree with the "haters" theory. I can build a tasteful looking car but still be thrown in with the "rice" lot just because it's an import. I know it shouldn't matter what others think but it does take it's toll eventually. At least for me.
I'm inclined to agree with the haters theory. However, I think it's because we have haters on both sides of the fence. The whole elitist thing that has sprung up in the Honda community is ridiculously difficult to deal with. where even in your own community your car gets shit on because you don't have whatever the trend is or you "only" have rota's instead of the actual mugen's which are 10x the price. there is no community in the community outside the clique circle jerks of who can spend more money on their car.

my big secret? I miss early rice, ok some of it was really lame, but the ones that had decently fitting kits or were pioneering shit (like the ghetto type-r mod or cali type-r or whatever, ok it was dumb, but someone actually figured out that it would work so props). and there seemed to be some uniqueness at least and less shit talk (it came but it only turned into a shitstorm as the rice fad progressed, at least in the experiences i had, though also mind you i was driving muscle back then). I think more than anything at least the passion for cars was stronger.

It's a different generation coming up. It's first time drivers that usually get stuck with the old beater hondas and develop a passion for the cars. Kids these days don't want to work towards anything they want everything done for them. DIY is getting phased out. Most of the honda gurus around here are over the age of 25. Also the economy is junk and insurance companies make it almost unaffordable to get paint & body work for a good price. I have to agree with the OP on the fact that someone with a beater will nit pick a good looking car like mine, it happened at the first meet I went to after getting my car painted. people pretty much had their faces smashed up against my paint looking for defects. Then when I get a CF hood people say it's rice. w/e just too much hating. Also drag strips are getting shut down all over california. I'm in LA county and the closest tracks are bakersfield or vegas...

the last cali meet i went to I met some cool guys but we were not allowed to be in the parking lot due to police enforcement and poor planning. But every time I mention that at my work is a huge lot that we can all park and hangout in with nobody to bother us nobody pays any mind.
I think this is the progression from what i said above. There is a some external forces that fucked up car culture in general. Police have been increasingly cracking down on any kind of gathering of any culture that is not "mainstream". It's more than just cars, but we are a specially targeted demographic, and it's only getting worse. Why put up with that when you can buy and xbox and forza for 200 bucks. why get a car that will profile you when you can get the newest hottest smartphone and get the same "cred" with your peers?

So kids coming up these days have no passion for cars, all they see is trouble and spend elsewhere, economy factors in here and even the internet, I <3 tech and the net but now people don't feel the need to go hang out. They just like each others shit on facebook and sit at home.

I guess i'm old but i don't see the point of the current trends, car culture is fine, lifestyle is fine, but thousands on rims and making a car that is just a clone of what makes you popular, sounds too highschool for me. I'm admittedly a fan of making a car that has both form and function, with function being more important...but still that at least looks nice to your own tastes. Also living within your means, with the proper time and effort in, cheap parts can look as good and perform pretty close to the "name brand" stuff that baller's nitpick over.

also, current thing i've noticed is that car culture people recently have been terribly stupid. I think this is covered in the thread earlier, but like, it's almost painful to deal with people on craigslist that are in to cars. either they are full on wtf is wrong with you types, or the know it all types but know nothing types. I think the bulk of people have moved on or no longer get into cars and this is what you are left with. Present company excluded, obviously.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
They stop laughing at your piece of shit when they can only see it through your dust.
"You must spread Reputation around before giving it to patprimmer again."

New sig quote right thurr. Motivation in few words, like normal Pat.

·
Registered
181 Posts
:roll:

Obviously everybody knows that the 1.6 Sentra is ten times more fum to drive then a 911. :)
My dad agreed after he took a ride in it.

It was a convertible porsche so it wasn't as rigid as it should have been, the sentra had Eibach Prokit/KYB Suspension Techniques sway bars... it handled like a freaking dream and it drove nice too because of the progressive rate springs...

Comfortable but rigid as hell when you slammed it into a corner.

Don't get me wrong, you want to get laid light the sentra on fire and do donuts around it with the porsche... but I'd take the sentra for a cruise on a sunny day on backroads over the 911 anyday.

I have friends who still talk about how well that car handled, like VW dudes with VR6 Swapped Jetta's STI's GTI's etc etc etc.

Also the E model was stripped to the bone so it was light as hell too.

I still want that car back lol.

·
my dd has 1800 ftlbs of torque
3,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
this thread was a success

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Lol, props on the thread.

I think Neon got a good chunk of it, the kids now are lazy, and don't want to do the work necessary... I only fuck with the older Honda crowd, and I'll help out a couple peoples younger brothers or what not every now and then though.

Passion in America in general is decreasing. And there isn't only one thing we can all point our fingers at and kick off the island. Can you believe a little girl actually said, "If you don't know it, than why don't you just google it!?"

Most of the "baller" cars stem from the shoe collectors/rare cloths people (the hundreds, or supreme kind of cloths).

Those people who made all the collectors items are THRIVING right now and it just extended into a new location... Cars with $100 super rare discontinued license plate frames and such. I admit that some of the crazy JDM shit is really nice (like the eg center console) and if I could, I would import a civic for the RHD and the fact that it has low mileage and less likely to be all fucked up; but the new kids now would do it for the bronze glass and auto button on the A/C that makes it a JDM A/C unit.

In conclusion the point is, because of those shoe collectors that like being "unique" and have something that "no-one else has" and all that crap, that the car culture is what it is now. It's the reason why all the nit picking has gotten worse. I stand in between the transition of real car passion and the JDM craze. I could have gone either way and actually wanted both cakes..

But I'm not a money tree so PURE function is the goal for me. I say build your own car how you like it and that shit will be unique wtf. I have a battery tray that I made myself for $6 lmao. I'm Filipino, does that make it an ULTRA RARE ONE OFF FDM PART!?

There is nothing that is a 100% original idea in the first place. This guy was inspired by so and so, who got the basis for the idea from whats his name, that sat there putting two other ideas together from you know who and that one guy; both whom had come up with the idea from observing NATURE AND PHYSICS. Good job at being "original"...:greddy2:

·
Premium Member
2,438 Posts
You people seem to take the car culture too seriously. Hence the circlejerk here.

Fads come and go. Why not concentrate on your own car and do what you want to do with it rather than hate on jdm or hellaflush bullshit because they're getting the magazine cover pages or whatever.

I can understand the crap about car meets being shut down by cops due to a small bunch of idiots. But you will always have a few idiots spoiling the party everytime, whether it's cars, bikes or something else that people would consider a hobby.

Some of you seem to be butthurt because your car doesn't get any attention since the hellaflush fad came along. Get over it. A few years from now, your car with better parts will be running while these stupid negative cambered cars will be lying in junkyards.

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
I don't hate on fads. a nice car is a nice car. I don't like the people who act like they know what they are talking about or just act like assholes at meets. OR junk street racer cars on the streets giving hondas a bad name.

whatever in another 10 years the true enthusiasts will prevail and the ricers will be weeded out and we'll be just like those old farts with their classic american cars hanging out in shopping center parking lots during daylight on sundays

·
my dd has 1800 ftlbs of torque
3,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
i think hondas are going out of style i want to see the new fad be auto x but then again that would mean that most of your money wont be shown for the world to see, how much you spent on your parts so that wont be cool.

·
Registered
181 Posts
The funny thing for me kind of like cyanide said is, I've never been into, influenced by, or really cared about what was going on in the Honda or any other scene... I just like cars, I like driving them I like modding them, I like building them.

I've never been influenced by a trend but I've certainly learned from other people experiences...

For reference when everyone is talking about "the old days" of the Honda scene, I gotta say. I joined H-T in 2000 or earlier, and at that point NO ONE was turboing shit. AEM headers were "baller" The evolution of this particular scene is absolutely rediculous... there are parts in develoment for our cars and will be for decades to come. My car turns 20 soon... There are soo many cars with NO aftermarket support at all...

I really don't care what ANY set of clowns wants to put on their civics and what other people might think about me when I'm in a civic too... I'm F'ing PSYCHED that people are throwing money at companies and saying 88-00 civic parts please.

It benefits us all.

I come back from not paying attention for 1-2 years twice in the last 5 or 6 and the leaps and bounds the scene has come and what people are doing with these cars and engines is awesome. There is shit tons of super clean high quality work that works well too... there are lots of back yard dudes with no budget busting down walls that wouldn't have been DREAMED of 3-4 years ago.

If some crew wants to cover their civics in felt and call them civokimon I say AWESOME, lets hope that makes for cheaper fabrics for our interiors.

·
Registered
181 Posts
whatever in another 10 years the true enthusiasts will prevail and the ricers will be weeded out and we'll be just like those old farts with their classic american cars hanging out in shopping center parking lots during daylight on sundays
I've been hearing that since 95. lol.

Have you seen the skyline GTR?

People with money like flashy cars. Riced out civic will sold at auction at Mecum's right next to pristine ones, and memorable drag ones that were discovered in a "farmyard" lol.

You, me, and some asian kid with 1200 dollar vintage nike's bidding on them.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,227 Posts
I can sum it up in a video. This video fit the 70's as well as it fits today.

Hotrodding is not dead. Be it Chevy LS motor, Ford Coyote, Honda K20/K24 of today, or back the small blocks and big blocks our fathers and their fathers played with, the spirit of Hotrodding will never die.

Hot Rodding is Dead - YouTube

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm 19 so I guess I'm part of the younger crowd lol but I always hated that hellaflush camber crap Im from Los Angeles and its a craze here guys I gotta say from every one I kno they all like that crap and it's annoying. I think more like you older guys I haven't been in the scene for long but I kno a lot I do every thing my self I don't pay for a mechanics I rather work on it myself if I mess up oh well I keep trying. Seems like ppl my age these days can't even do a oil change they have to send it to a shop and pay shi*ts load of money that would of took you 1 hour to do. Just hate that now when I drive my civic ppl think I'm that idiot young guy with there rice Honda not every youngster is like that but what can I do

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,227 Posts
BTW

/thread

Break it down, most of us here are simply hot rodders. It used to be Chevy vs. Ford. Those folks got old and now it is V8 RWD vs. us, between find an old fart (older than me!) that understands the TRUE meaning of hot rodding, they understand it. While now they may be able to afford to trick out a new 40k Camaro or Mustang they remember when they were younger and busted their ass to get a raggity Camaro or Mustang on Crager S/S wheels with Kelly Super Charger N50-15's tires tucked under the fender, or jacked up in the back and let them stick out due to old offset limitations, just to go cruise the local drive in.

Well as Honda hot rodders, we come from the same as those that walked before us. We are more of a throw back to the 40's and 50's than those stuck in the 60's and 70's for ways of making swaps or turbos work.

Now that stance bullshit, my opinion, is just like the low rider craze in California in the 70's, I don't like it myself.

But I will respect almost everyone that put blood, sweat and tears into a build they will call their own.

Different platforms, same mentality.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,227 Posts
I'm 19 so I guess I'm part of the younger crowd lol but I always hated that hellaflush camber crap Im from Los Angeles and its a craze here guys I gotta say from every one I kno they all like that crap and it's annoying. I think more like you older guys I haven't been in the scene for long but I kno a lot I do every thing my self I don't pay for a mechanics I rather work on it myself if I mess up oh well I keep trying. Seems like ppl my age these days can't even do a oil change they have to send it to a shop and pay shi*ts load of money that would of took you 1 hour to do. Just hate that now when I drive my civic ppl think I'm that idiot young guy with there rice Honda not every youngster is like that but what can I do
Can I buy you a comma or a period?

JFWY, but you'll fit in, you understand the pride of doing your own work....and mucking it up a few times.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.