Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I've been looking at options for my first car, and I think I've decided that I want a Civic. However, I'm not sure what engines I should be looking for. Since most cheaper Civics that I can find come with D Series engines, I thought I would look to you guys. I want in the end to be able to make around 300-400 HP. I also would like VTEC. I just want to know what engines I can take to that power number without losing a ton of reliability. Also, if its needed to get to that amount of power, I don't plan on staying on stock internals. Beware, I'm a newbie :)
Edit: Also, I'll most likely be going on forced induction

·
Registered
6,476 Posts
every single common honda engine can make 300-400hp (common as in the normal expected engines, D/B/H/F/K/J)

If you want the absolute most reliability, J35 swap it with an acura sourced J35, and find a ported and polished intake manifold. THen find a good set of headers, and you will already be around 300whp with absolute reliability.

Set of reground camshafts and a tune later, you will be over 320-350whp, as honda made all the v6's have paper wrinkles for camshaft profiles.

There are quite a few 400whp+ NA J swaps running around with less than 5 grand into the entire setup.

Reactions: Outheblu

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,776 Posts
just get an rsx-s and call it a day

·
Registered
6,476 Posts
autotempest website is awesome too

·
Registered
162 Posts
I’d vouch for a TL/Accord. Those J-series are no joke

You can get em with a 6-speed for pretty cheap too

·
Registered
64 Posts
If you want a civic then basically they will all come with D series or R series. If you are looking at the older models then you will end up with a D series model.
You can either swap a B series or a K series and do a few tweaks. Honestly the only way to build a very reliable 400HP civic is to to boost it with low boost.
A K series + turbo will easily hit 400HP on stock internals. As far as a D series; they only hold around 250HP before going boom (especially if daily driven).

Its possible to build one of these setups for $5000 or less into the car. You can also boost the D series and build it (although you said you don't want to do an engine build) to reach your 400HP goal.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts