Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys swaped in d16y8, can a p2e ecu activate vtec? If not what ecu should i get or is there another way to activate vtec? Thank you.

·
Registered
08 H-D Ultra Classic
985 Posts
OBD II Car with D16Y8 Factory ECU would be P2P
OBD I Car with D16Y8 I would use P28

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OBD II Car with D16Y8 Factory ECU would be P2P
OBD I Car with D16Y8 I would use P28
Understood, i have a 1998 civic d16y7 with a d16y8 swap and converted to manual tranny, my question is if i conect the vtec selenoid and pressure switch to the corresponding ecu pins, will the P2E ecu it actualy has activate vtec?

Thanks.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,054 Posts
Understood, i have a 1998 civic d16y7 with a d16y8 swap and converted to manual tranny, my question is if i conect the vtec selenoid and pressure switch to the corresponding ecu pins, will the P2E ecu it actualy has activate vtec?

Thanks.
is the p2e a p2p that was already mentioned? do you search?

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
294 Posts
If the P2E was the original one that came with the car, then no. The software in it is designed around the D16Y7 non-VTEC engine, not the Y8. Even if it had the VTEC components in it, it's the software/program that enables the VTEC transistor to turn on the high side switching transistor when it's the right time.

You are free to run the wires from the VTEC solenoid to the appropriate terminal spot at the ECU plug, but without an ECU with the correct software/hardware combo designed to engage VTEC when required, nothing will happen.

As 79hilux90crx said, To keep the car OBD2, you will need the manual P2P ECU, or else you will need to use a chassis conversion harness to go OBD1 VTEC converted P06/P28/P30/P72 with the appropriate chip flashed with the right software/program.

It's much more a pain in the a** to go OBD1 if you aren't going to be prepared for the run around needed to get the program installed to the ECU, or the run around necessary with trying to pass emissions in your country/state/county running an OBD1 ECU in your OBD2 chassis. You will have no live data for the emissions testing machine to read from the OBD2 port, which is an automatic fail/ineligible. The only exception to this rule is if you magically happen to live in one of the last areas where emissions testing is done via live loaded dyno testing (probably not, most countries have gone to OBD to pass/fail vehicles related to emissions) OR you live in an emissions testing exempt country/state/county. This is what Florida is good for :)

If you are staying N/A, for plug and play reasons and less headache just get a P2P manual ECU and finish running the VTEC control wire.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts