Honda D Series Forum banner

what ecu for my motor is best?

4K views 27 replies 5 participants last post by  sohc92eg 
#1 ·
i have a d16y7 non vtec 5 speed.
what are all the different types of ecu's i can use?
i know nothin bout em they confuse the fuck out of me. can you pretty much hook any ecu up in a honda? p28 seems to be common. will that work on my engine? and are there any ecu i can get without having to tune my car?

#6 · (Edited)
depends on what obd your running....if obd2 then i think its a P2E ecu....unless you use a P2P which is i think unless i have them backwards the Y8 ecu....

now running a Y8 or Z6(aka P28) ecu will run your engine you will throw a check engine light for the vtec stuff that you are missing with that non vtec y7 motor....

if obd1 i do beleive you could get lucky and run a P07 ecu which is a 92-95 dx/lx d15b7 motor....

the p07(*I mean P06 sorry) is a 1.5l ecu so it may be a bit off on the fuel maps or you could get the D16y7 ecu and get a obd1-obd2 ecu harness adapter so you could run a obd2 ecu in a obd1 car....

im just guessing at what obd car you have so here are cliff notes

obd2
-P2E(D16y7)--i think is the y7 may be y8 cant remember im more obd1 oriented....but the y7 ecu will run the y7 motor

-P2P(D16Y8)--once again unsure completely if its the y8 ecu,.....but if you use this ecu you will throw a check engine light for vtec and i think could also throw a code for the knock sensor....

OBD1
-P06-92-95 dx/lx d15b7 1.5l ecu problem i could see is its for a 1.5l but ive run a z6 engine on this ecu no problem.....

-P28-92-95 ex/si D16z6 1.6l ecu problem just like the Y8 it will throw a code for vtec as its a vtec ecu....

OBD0-didnt talk about this but just in case-
-the only one i can really think of is PM6 this came with the 88-91 CRX/civic ex/si D16a6 really dont see too many problems with this but im not really sure of it....

Hope this helps a little bit....

#8 ·
woops i clicked reply and it took me forever to write that so its going into a obd1 car if you didnt wish to chip id grab a jumper harness that goes from obd1 female(this plugs into your oem wire harness...to a obd2 male which plugs into the obd2 ecu in this case P2E,

or for now you can run a P06(dont mind my P07 got messed up there thats for a vx, stay away from the P07, and P05 as they run different O2 sensors youll just need a P06).....the P06 should run your engine moderately well but to get the best results either chip it with a P2E map or get teh jumper harness and run a P2E tho i think you would end up needed two O2 sensors etc for this so maybe ill just shut up and agree to go and chip it to get the best results...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.