Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
^^^^
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a d16y7 non vtec 5 speed.
what are all the different types of ecu's i can use?
i know nothin bout em they confuse the fuck out of me. can you pretty much hook any ecu up in a honda? p28 seems to be common. will that work on my engine? and are there any ecu i can get without having to tune my car?

·
Registered
175 Posts
depends on what obd your running....if obd2 then i think its a P2E ecu....unless you use a P2P which is i think unless i have them backwards the Y8 ecu....

now running a Y8 or Z6(aka P28) ecu will run your engine you will throw a check engine light for the vtec stuff that you are missing with that non vtec y7 motor....

if obd1 i do beleive you could get lucky and run a P07 ecu which is a 92-95 dx/lx d15b7 motor....

the p07(*I mean P06 sorry) is a 1.5l ecu so it may be a bit off on the fuel maps or you could get the D16y7 ecu and get a obd1-obd2 ecu harness adapter so you could run a obd2 ecu in a obd1 car....

im just guessing at what obd car you have so here are cliff notes

obd2
-P2E(D16y7)--i think is the y7 may be y8 cant remember im more obd1 oriented....but the y7 ecu will run the y7 motor

-P2P(D16Y8)--once again unsure completely if its the y8 ecu,.....but if you use this ecu you will throw a check engine light for vtec and i think could also throw a code for the knock sensor....

OBD1
-P06-92-95 dx/lx d15b7 1.5l ecu problem i could see is its for a 1.5l but ive run a z6 engine on this ecu no problem.....

-P28-92-95 ex/si D16z6 1.6l ecu problem just like the Y8 it will throw a code for vtec as its a vtec ecu....

OBD0-didnt talk about this but just in case-
-the only one i can really think of is PM6 this came with the 88-91 CRX/civic ex/si D16a6 really dont see too many problems with this but im not really sure of it....

Hope this helps a little bit....

·
Registered
^^^^
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yea thanks that helped alot. well i think the motor is out of a 2000. not sure. in that case its obd2 right?
so if its obd2 i need p06, or p2e?
and i dont want vtec. haah.

·
Registered
175 Posts
woops i clicked reply and it took me forever to write that so its going into a obd1 car if you didnt wish to chip id grab a jumper harness that goes from obd1 female(this plugs into your oem wire harness...to a obd2 male which plugs into the obd2 ecu in this case P2E,

or for now you can run a P06(dont mind my P07 got messed up there thats for a vx, stay away from the P07, and P05 as they run different O2 sensors youll just need a P06).....the P06 should run your engine moderately well but to get the best results either chip it with a P2E map or get teh jumper harness and run a P2E tho i think you would end up needed two O2 sensors etc for this so maybe ill just shut up and agree to go and chip it to get the best results...

·
\/ apply baby lotion here \/
'98 Civic 4 Door
11,260 Posts
yea thanks that helped alot. well i think the motor is out of a 2000. not sure. in that case its obd2 right?
so if its obd2 i need p06, or p2e?
and i dont want vtec. haah.
remember that obd2 and obd1 distributors are not the same also.

so if you do run with a obd1 ecu then you will have to look into that too.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts