Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
R2.....Zap Balls
94 Ex coupe
5,186 Posts
not sure the exact range, but the hotter your egt's are, the leaner the car is running, the colder the richer it's running. What are you using to show the afr? if it's an autometer gauge there is no way of really telling how rich it's running until you get the range for the egt or a wideband that shows exactly what the car's doing

·
Registered
213 Posts
every car will react different based on setup, engine, and where your pyrometer is installed at among other things.

my car runs around 800-1000 and around 1200 at crusing/wot...my pyro is on the downpipe.

-tony

·
()*#$(*$
93 Legend L Coupe.
11,404 Posts
Zoobi- That's too far away. From what I've read, you are supposed to install the thermocouple no more than 2x the diameter of the tubing from the flange. Most people who use one thermocouple on Hondas place it in the 3rd because the 3rd cylinder runs the hottest due to a quirk of the cooling system. This can and does affect the combustion temperature.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Go with a wideband, they are faster and more accurate.
yup, kep adding timing and WATCH YOUR AFR! once power drops back off 2-3 degrees. make the AFR nice and smooth and there is a good tune :). thats the general jist of it when you change the timing watch for lean condition! stop the dyno run and add fuel to the spot thats leaning out!

·
Registered
Honda
2,692 Posts
i have been debating about buying an egt gauge but there is one thing that makes me go in the other direction and not buy one. They are pretty expensive gauges and i have never seen or read about a standard that lets you know what an adequate egt actaully is. I understand that it is soley based on the setup, and probably the motor as well, but i dont want to spend that much money on something that alls i will do is look at and wonder what the hell it actaully means. I mean, i can just imagine myself driving along and looking at the egt guage and not knowing what the reading from it actually means. My motor could be running very hot/lean and i wouldnt even know it because i wouldnt know what the adequate operating temp of my motor is.......................

prolly confusing that i say that, but can anyone just verify who has one that they can tell by looking at the read outs from it and KNOW 100% that the motor is not running hot, or could you tell the same thing without the gauge?

·
Registered
636 Posts
pyrometer.. never heard that before...

the pyro-meter tells you have big a fire you set... :)

·
Registered
91 Civic Si
197 Posts
lean = hot
rich = cold

also helps tell you if you are running too much timing when your AFRs are correct
You don't have to be lean at all to have ultra high EGT's. Not enough timing advance will cause high EGT's just as much as a lean mixture will.

EGT readings are just another peice to the puzzle of tuning a car.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
I've always thought that egt was for tuning timing and wideband for fuel.

Get your fuel sorted out with the wideband and then move onto timing with the egt.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.