Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is probably going to seem like a joke but i'm kind of serious. I'm very n00b when it comes to hondas. I have a d15b with about 85k on it. Runs well as i've been taking good care of it.

I'm thinking about getting this turbo kit
CIVIC CRX DEL SOL D15/D16 STEEL MANIFOLD TURBO KIT 11PC | eBay

And this kit for the motor.

Turbo Superkit COMBO for JDM D15B W/ I Beam Rods

Now, $500 seems extremely cheap for a turbo kit and i'm wondering why.

I also found a full gsr (B18c1) swap for $1500. However, that would require a lot more work and i would probably have to buy a mess of other things to get it to work. (did some research) It would also be much heavier on the wallet if i ever wanted to build the motor. Not sure how many miles it has on it.

I keep searching for d15 builds but can't find a whole lot of information.

Is the piping, intercooler, etc. good at least? So i can swap for a better turbo later? Or should i get rid of it completely and just

Also, i'm sure the exhaust manifold is utter horseshit because it comes in a full kit for $500

The reason i'm thinking of the BS Ebay turbo and the superkit is because i'm basically rebuilding my engine AND getting at least turbo piping (I'm guessing the turbo is terrible and will need to be replaced very soon) for a little more than it would cost for the GSR setup.

Also eventually getting a mini me setup.

as opposed to buying the GSR setup, THEN spending another 1-4k building the motor up, and also possibly getting forced induction for that as well, clutch, etc. Possibly ending up costing me almost 8-10k in the long run.

I'm not sure if i really want to dump THAT much money into this car, but building the d15, then getting good suspension parts seems like it would be enough to make this car fun for a reasonable price. (Estimating around 3-5k overall)

The main reason i like this car is because its small and handles well and is extremely light. I'd like to focus on those strengths and just make it fun without spending too much money on a 20 year old car because at a certain point i might as well buy another car, on the same token i don't want it to be dogshit slow either. Since this car is so light though, i probably don't need a whole mess of power to put a smile on my face the entire time i'm driving it.

ONE MORE thing i was considering was buying an H22 full swap that i found with 145k on it for $750. the 200hp in that motor will be more than enough, but being that i would have my hands full even doing a b18 swap i don't think i should even think about it.

Ease of build, plus side of rebuilding the engine at the same time, and low cost is what makes me think about doing the d15 and focusing on suspension.

I guess thinking forward, i might be better off just finding usdm SI hatch for around 3-5k but who knows how many miles it would have on it and 120hp is just a little under what would make me happy.

Any advice would be fully appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
Wow really?

U have a lot to learn younge grass hopper. And you really think a swap is harder then rebuilding a motor or installing a turbo kit? If so then you have the wrong idea.

Also that kit is incompelet and all the piping isn't even there. You have a lot more reading to do.
I see a lot wrong with the stuff you said in your post.

1) find out what power goal you want.
2) make a budget, how much do you wanna spend?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Those ebay turbo kits are pure junk. The turbos are really poor quality and can be dangerous. I have used the manifolds and waste gates and other stuff with modifications.

I would find your self a Mitsubishi turbo such as a 16g.

Also remember buying cheap parts means low reliability.

Not sure what your experience with turbo charging and tuning engines is either. Not as easy as buying some parts and tossing them on.

·
Well.......
2,488 Posts
Your on the right path with the fj rebuild kit, just not the turbo kit.

For a good and complete turbo kit id check out go-autoworks who is a site sponsor.
well said and is the truth

·
Registered
685 Posts
idk guys, i know A LOT of the honda people here use the ebay kits with good results... as long as you don't aim for high power and use a restrictor they last for a while.

one friend had his for bout 12k miles and still going with NO shaft play. beats on it 12 lbs all day.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
ebay kits can be hit or miss, but sadly nothing really fits and the equipment they send you is garbage.

i also highly agree that if you think doing a swap is too much work then you shouldnt even try and build and boost a car. if you found a complete gsr swap (motor, trans, mounts, axles, linkage) then you really dont have to do much more than pull one out and put the other in. depending on the year and trim of the car depends on if you would need to wire in anything or modify the harness accordingly.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Ebay kits are good in the hands of someone experienced who knows what kit to shop for and has the ability to make shit work when it's not a direct bolt on or fits shitty.

For a noob you are better off buying a complete bolt on kit from autoworks.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Ebay kits are good in the hands of someone experienced who knows what kit to shop for and has the ability to make shit work when it's not a direct bolt on or fits shitty.
Agreed completely, everyone has their opinions, and usually they are biased from reading forums or hearing about a friend of a friend. Being someone who has pieced together many solid kits for customers from eBay parts/kits, I can tell you as long as you have some inginuity and some sort of mechanical experience you can make one work. Granted alot of the products are hit and miss, generally you can read feedback and search about the products before you buy them.

On the swap... As long as it comes with motor/tranny/axles/linkages/mounts it would probably be easier for you to accomplish it than turbo/rebuild a motor for sure... Now this is coming from experience. I can knock out a swap in about a half a days work, about 5 hours(not rushing it). With a turbo kit it generally takes us about a full day. And that is with minimal fabrication work. Many people don't research what all is entailed in installing a kit before lOoking into it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts