full msd ignition system
nology hotwires

can i get some input on this good investment :TU: or a waste of $$$$ :TD:
thanks mark

·
Registered
wtf? read above
1,248 Posts
just get your ecu tuned, unless you like the flashy looks.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
91sivtec said:
what do you do in the 1/4 mile?
just got the cam and springs , not installed yet :( will post times and pixs in april i hope. my cars in storage.

·
Registered
98 Civic EX
3,189 Posts
the vafc will help out, but since you can convert to a obdI ecu and chip it, that would be best...

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have one for sale which is why I hate myself for this next comment LOL

No I personally do not reccomend you get a VAFC. My reasoning behind this aftermarket cam, I have seen them actually hurt guys with cams. The other unfortunate thing about the VAFC is the only way to know if it will help is dyno your car the way it sits now if there is a huge spike when VTEC engages then you will benefit from adjusting it down some. If not you can only hurt yourself. The VTEC system can be very beneficial at the right setting tuning it too low can hurt your power curve quite a bit. On the other hand when I had it on my Z6 at 44-4800 setting it was a definite improvement(Ass dyno) So if your planning on dynoing soon then make that decision once you have your dyno sheet. Post it up and we will reevaluate at that time.
Please keep in mind this is just my opinion some from personal experience and some from Cartechs line of Honda building books LOL

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i would think the vafc would be better than chippin it, but thats only cause a couple of people here told me that chipping the ECU doesnt do as much good as the supposedly to. but then again i woulnt want to mess with my v-tec (like he said) without a dyno, especially with a cam.
but why is chippin it better than the vafc?

·
Registered
wtf? read above
1,248 Posts
vafc is jsut a band aid, tunning will involve a dyno (in most cases) and you can totally see whats going. plus its a one time thing. thats just my opinion though.

·
Registered
98 Civic EX
3,189 Posts
the big thing with the vafc is that it can adjust the vtec engagement and adjust the fuel curves (minimal adjustments), and it can do this without physically messing around with the ECU...chipping the ecu however, will give you accurate real settings and allow you to physically adjust the actual fuel maps and timing curves, but that generally is only needed with seriuos n/a upgrades (such as itb, and stage 3 cams), otherwise chipping the ecu is used more for forced induction upgrades...

·
Registered
wtf? read above
1,248 Posts
DirtyDEF said:
Because you can do everything a VAFC can do and a whole lot more. And you wouldn't be doing it by confusing the MAP.

All the VAFC does is trick the MAP into doing what it wants.
:werd:

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks for all the input , any of the chips on ebay worth it ,if not where should i look . and what should i expect to pay . :confused:

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
the thing is i have no problem with the mechanics of the car but when it comes to the electrical side of it I'm a little lost.
i was thinking i may have a problem with my idle with this cam so i thought VAFC or chip-it but maybe.....

88ED3 said:
just get your ecu tuned, unless you like the flashy looks.

·
Registered
98 Civic EX
3,189 Posts
it really depends on what you want really...are you wanting to go all out and get it well tuned, or will you be happy with just a basic tune?

·
Registered
wtf? read above
1,248 Posts
eBay is eBay. I FUCKING LOVE IT!!! iorder shit from them all the time with no probs. jjust remember, if its too good to be true, prolly is. Im a Skunk fan, perfonally id get the S2 ecu. not sure if its what your looking for, but i think it is. im wrong a lot, so ill just have someone correct my post if im wrong.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts