Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had a y8 motor laying around and pulled the oil pan off and pulled the main cap off. here is how the main bearings/crank looked

HERE IS A CLOSER LOOK AT ONE OF THE BEARINGS...

what would cause this???

and if you notice on the middle bearing on the below pic there is scratches in the middle

CLOSER LOOK AT THE MARKS ON THIS ONE

AND ON MY CRANK JOUNALS THERE IS THIS MARK THAT GOES DOWN THE MIDDLE I DUNNO IF YOU CAN SEE THEM FROM THIS PIC

HERE IS A CLOSER LOOK

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
is that rusts or chunks missing? shouldnt be rust........i cant really tell from the pics, but you may not have spun a bearing or anything, it may just be normal wear and tear, but prolly not

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
just to add, if that is not rust and is chunks missing from the bearing, then you may have spun a bearing.......that would be a whole new can of worms. Youll need to get the crank speced out to make sure its still good, which it prolly wont be depending on how bad it spun. youll need new bearings as well.

·
Resident Gunsmith & Duracoater
5,467 Posts
you said it was a y8, oil pump starvation is what it looks like, if it wasn't making a noise when you pulled it, it will later on....

they are notorious for having shitty oil pumps, when you don't have enough oil you get oil starvation, which causes metal to metal contact....hence the scratches, the stripe down the middle is normal, that part doesn't touch the bearing and "dulls" in color over time....

i would spec the journals, and see if they are within, if they are get the appropriate replacement bearings, plasti-gauge them while torquing to spec, and double check the clearances....

you def need new bearings, but hopefully the crank checks out.

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
those bearings show normal wear
if there is any rust its just because the motor sat
the coloration difference (silver/bronze) is normal wear as well, the silver metal is a thin "mushy" coating and the bronze is, well, bronze, because the bearing needs to be lubricated right? bronze is similar to a sponge, it actually absorbs oil for excellent lubrication

the bearings are worn tho, and it could be worse, its a good thing you just didnt throw the motor in. replace the bearings for sure.
get a micrometer and spec out the crank, if need be just have it micropolished by a machine shop for like $45 to get and burrs off of it.

:TU: good luck

·
Registered
525 Posts
you should never see bronze on your bearings!!!! definatly lack of oil. spec the crank and replace the bearings....hopefully you can still see the color on the side of the bearings....you will need to know that when you order the new ones from honda. mine were all gold but one and it was green....it has to do with the thickness of the bearing. last time i saw bearings that looked like that it was only about three thousand miles before my rod came threw the block. :(

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,226 Posts
effects of a lightweight crank pulley on a D16. #2 and #4 taking the most damage followed by #3, damn harmonics plus a crappy oil pump.

The strip on the crank journal is from no contact with the bearing due to the oiling groove.

Micropolish the crank mains yourself, slap in new bearings after fluching the block/oil pump/pick up.

My Z6 2/3/4 mains when I ran a D15B7 crank pulley for about 10,000 miles or so.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts