Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a 95 Civic CX, and the stock motor, a D15B8 is on its way out. Found a cheap D16Y7, and I am wondering if I can just swap the engine and computer, or if theres more I need. I have the B20 transmission, would that hold up?
Thanks

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
The ECUs are different generations, different numbers of O2 sensor wires, 3 wire vs 2 wire IACV.....

If you are just looking to get your car going I am sure you could simply drop in the D16y7 longblock and run it with the D15b8 ECU/intake manifold/transmission, it wont be great but it should get you up and going.

If I was doing it and wanted decent performance out of it I would put in the D16y7, with a D series Si/Ex hydro transmission, and get a p06 ecu and either add the extra 3 wires for a 4 wire O2 sensor or chip it to run a single wire O2 sensor, and use a z6 or y8 2 wire IACV intake manifold and injectors.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm just looking to get the car going, I bought it for 50 bucks. It runs and drives as is, but has a blown head gasket, and has only 100 psi compression in one cylinder

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts
Bought a 95 Civic CX, and the stock motor, a D15B8 is on its way out. Found a cheap D16Y7, and I am wondering if I can just swap the engine and computer, or if theres more I need. I have the B20 transmission, would that hold up?
Thanks
B20 tranny won't fit a d-series motor without lots of mods.

To add to the info above. You will need to swap the alternator,injectors and distributor. Wire for a 4 wire o2 sensor depending on what Ecu you use.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
3,942 Posts
bro, welcome to d-so, but for the love of all things jdm, SEARCH.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
What blew the headgasket? Overheating? Is the blown headgasket causing the low compression?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If I don't have the b20, what transmission do I have? It had low compression before the head gasket blew, I'm guessing the rings are bad.

·
Premium Member
1,358 Posts
You're probably referring to the transmission stamp nearby the axle area, or being dead serious about putting B20 trans on D16? B000 is ex trans A000 is non vtec trans. Sometimes the best thing to do in these situation is to find a running D16 long block and swap that instead to avoid the extra headaches by mixing parts..

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Yea, if the tranny bolted to a stock b8, it will bolt to a stock y7.

Put the b8 alternator, intake manifold, and injectors on the y7 engine, install in car, done.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts