Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
95 Civic Dx
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the cheapest way to make my sohc d15b7 faster that i can do at home?

My car lacks speed, but its still fun to drive, but just being able to beat my friends beater trucks isn't that exciting. How do I go fast on a relatively low budget?

·
Banned
95 Civic Dx
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I've got a 95 dx 5 speed with high mileage, and I want to throw boost at it, but only around 7 psi, what will I need to not have my motor blow up?

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,471 Posts

you are the 1 millionth user to ask the same fucking question.

psi means dick. use the search. do some reading.

·
Premium Member
2005 Legacy GT
1,754 Posts
The best way to not blow a motor is to leave it alone.

PSI means nothing. How much HP do you want to make ... and if you say as much as I can get from 7 PSI I drive cross country to slap you.

That being said ... I'm fresh out of spoons today. Google is your friend. The stickies in the FI section are your friend. Stop being lazy, this question has been done to death. I'm usually happy to help ... but this has been covered ad nauseum. Probably even in the very section you are posting in.

·
Banned
95 Civic Dx
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
See I'm retarded when it comes to this, I just bought my car a little while ago and I have been researching, reading all these threads, but I cant understand them. I am gonna go with a t04 .57 trim I believe, at least that's what my best option is at the moment. I realized about the boost meaning nothing, I'm really not hoping for much over 200. If I can get 250 out of it safely that would be great.

·
Banned
95 Civic Dx
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok well I'm finding someone had the same motor and close to mileage and got at least 4k out of it without doing a real tune, with just injectors. He said he was hoping for another 10k and thought he could. I don't know of any nearby tuners and ive googled for them, but I'm looking at a little bit bigger turbo and my engine is bone stock, all I have is a 4 inch muffler out the back that came on it.

·
Banned
95 Civic Dx
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
and also I'm going for cheap stuff so I don't expect a lot of reliability out of it, I want boost to last me until this summer hopefully, I have an si trans and I'm gonna buy a d15 vtec motor to swap in it, since mine isn't.

·
Premium Member
90 crx si/96 accord
788 Posts
The way I see it, you have a couple options.
1 search , research, and search. For as long as it takes for you to have a solid understanding of exactly what it's gonna take to slap a turbo on your car, and have it maintain reliability.

2. Go ahead, and buy some janky ass ebay turbo kit, slap that shit together, say your gonna go get it tuned, but keep putting it off, until one day you decide to show off, and throw a rod through the block.

3. Buy someone else's car that's already turbo'd and tuned.

4. Sell the honda, buy an e cig, a vw1.8T , and all the other latest and greatest edm bullshit, and never look back.

5. Honda + ? = profit

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,471 Posts
something else will come along and grab his attention and hell do like all the other jitts and trade his car for it, find out something needs work and then trade it for something else. rinse and repeat

·
Banned
95 Civic Dx
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The way I see it, you have a couple options.
1 search , research, and search. For as long as it takes for you to have a solid understanding of exactly what it's gonna take to slap a turbo on your car, and have it maintain reliability.

2. Go ahead, and buy some janky ass ebay turbo kit, slap that shit together, say your gonna go get it tuned, but keep putting it off, until one day you decide to show off, and throw a rod through the block.

3. Buy someone else's car that's already turbo'd and tuned.

4. Sell the honda, buy an e cig, a vw1.8T , and all the other latest and greatest edm bullshit, and never look back.

5. Honda + ? = profit
I want to get it tuned, but I am in an area that has no one around that does Hondas, or tunes in general. Everything is like 3 hours away for a tune shop. Also, I'm gonna do as much research as possible and use an ebay kit, and probably end up never getting it tuned because I don't know where to go. I'm in the middle of nowhere for that stuff. Car scene is dead around me. On top of all that my motor is 21 years old and 266k miles, I don't know how long it will handle boost so I'm gonna do my best to get it tuned

·
Registered
Sloppy Jalopy
1,295 Posts
at least he admits to the retardation .

so help others by helping yourself ,

Read about the subject that you are interested in and if you apply really give it your all you just might make it far enough to make cool looking holes where there were no holes before...

·
Registered
99 Posts
In order to make sure you're only making 7 psi you will need to use a manual boost controller like this:

Make sure it's a metric manual boost controller because Hondas are built in China which doesn't use imperial measurements.

·
Tape-R taper/driver
EC3, ED8, ED9, EE5
574 Posts

·
Premium Member
2005 Legacy GT
1,754 Posts
Okay ... now that you've shown that you've put forth a little bit of effort. I'll throw you a bone.

Your D15B7 is not boost friendly. It can be done ... but realistically on a stock block you're looking at maybe 150 whp before those tiny rods get angry (perhaps less with that high of mileage). Maybe this will make you happy, but chances are you'll want more ... we all do eventually. Then you'll have to either tear the engine down and get some bits that can handle more power in there, or swap to a D16.

Yes there is a member here who's gotten 300 whp out of one ... however ... this is not cheap.

If you want cheap, reliable power ... with no need for a tune. Save your money, do a GSR swap and call it a day.

Also ... always remember the build philosophy.
1) Cheap
2) Fast
3) Reliable

You can pick any 2.

·
Banned
95 Civic Dx
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Okay ... now that you've shown that you've put forth a little bit of effort. I'll throw you a bone.

Your D15B7 is not boost friendly. It can be done ... but realistically on a stock block you're looking at maybe 150 whp before those tiny rods get angry (perhaps less with that high of mileage). Maybe this will make you happy, but chances are you'll want more ... we all do eventually. Then you'll have to either tear the engine down and get some bits that can handle more power in there, or swap to a D16.

Yes there is a member here who's gotten 300 whp out of one ... however ... this is not cheap.

If you want cheap, reliable power ... with no need for a tune. Save your money, do a GSR swap and call it a day.

Also ... always remember the build philosophy.
1) Cheap
2) Fast
3) Reliable

You can pick any 2.
I really only wanna make enough horsepower to push my car hard, but not blow it up. Also, im going to try to go for 200 hp or less, and im planning to swap to a d15 jdm vtec next summer, so I want it to last until I buy the second motor.

·
Premium Member
90 crx si/96 accord
788 Posts
Dsm t25, hf manifold, adapter plate, fuel pump, injectors intercooler, charge piping, b.o.v. run the stock Watergate actuator and you shouldn't need a new map sensor, sandwich plate, oil lines and fittings, coolant lines and fittings for the turbo, tuner, done.

·
Registered
97 honda coupe
7,611 Posts
I really only wanna make enough horsepower to push my car hard, but not blow it up. Also, im going to try to go for 200 hp or less, and im planning to swap to a d15 jdm vtec next summer, so I want it to last until I buy the second motor.
for less than 200hp swap a b-series in it or f series for a more budget setup as you can get those for almost free. for more than 200hp go turbo d16. both cost about the same all said and done (depending on what kind of deals you get). or even better do both, turbo f-series is a budget setup that can make serious numbers with ease.

And before i get bashed for the b-series suggestion, how much time, money and hard work do you think it takes to get a d16 to the golden 200hp mark? is it really worth it vs dropping in a motor with superior transmission gear ratios and head ports? in my opinion its not, but i have seen plenty of 150-180whp d16's all motor. None of them were quite as simple as a drop in motor for the mechanically deficient.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts