Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys , after having problems with headgasket and my dizzy went out , i had to pay a mechanic to get me another engine , well this mechanic charge me 1,400 for the engine longblock and 400 labor, i know it's alot for a D15B but i need it ASAP so i said yes and he got me the engine but when he delivered the car to my house i saw that the block says D15B but he used my old valve cover because it's painted red and he said it was nicer than the original ,so when i asked him if the original valver cover was a VTEC or VTEC-E he said VTEC but i don't really trust him and i feel like my old d16z6 was stronger than this engine, is there anyway to find out what head do i have VTEC or VTEC-E? btw i can't go and see that valve cover by myself because he lives like 4 hours from here, thanks in advanced!

·
Registered
174 Posts

·
Banned
3,673 Posts
3 vtec solenoids - vtec-e

1 vtec solenoid - vtec
bullshit.....noob advise.......three solenoids=three stage vtec....which is vtec-e, followed by secondary camlobe vtec......to th op..open your valve cover, and look inside....only way to tell for sure is to look at the valve train...vtec-e has roller cam followers, and no extra camlobe

·
Registered
'95 Civic dx
835 Posts
3 vtec solenoids - vtec-e

1 vtec solenoid - vtec
3stage vtec-e = 3 vtec solenoids = ?? hp
regular vtec-e = 1 vtec solenoid = 90 hp

pull the head and see what the pistons say... p07=vtec-e

·
Registered
'95 Civic dx
835 Posts
3 stg VTEC= 2 solenoids
lol wasn't paying attention when i was copying the numbers... duh!

and its hard to tell by just popping the valve cover unless you know what you are looking for... i don't remember seeing any unique identification when i popped mine...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi guys , after having problems with headgasket and my dizzy went out , i had to pay a mechanic to get me another engine , well this mechanic charge me 1,400 for the engine longblock and 400 labor, i know it's alot for a D15B but i need it ASAP so i said yes and he got me the engine but when he delivered the car to my house i saw that the block says D15B but he used my old valve cover because it's painted red and he said it was nicer than the original ,so when i asked him if the original valver cover was a VTEC or VTEC-E he said VTEC but i don't really trust him and i feel like my old d16z6 was stronger than this engine, is there anyway to find out what head do i have VTEC or VTEC-E? btw i can't go and see that valve cover by myself because he lives like 4 hours from here, thanks in advanced!
Srry to jump off subject, but it looks like you got hustled, by a guy who knows nothing about your honda, besides saying its vtec. $1,400for a whole swap and $400 for labor? then did not want to tell you about the head job he did? You coulda went to the junkyard and got a single V for 250, and did the swap yourself......NEWAYS BACK ON SUBJECT, look on the head, in the front near the upper left corner of the head...you should see it right under the valve cover....Get that code and, hit the internet and see if you have a Z1 head. decided to throw in some input, because i see u asked about what head you had, and ppl are talking about stage 3 vtec, and taking off valve covers(pointless)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hey guys thanks for all the help! i went to see a friend who has a D15B VTEC-E and compared both heads and right infront near the valve cover his says p07 and mine says p08 so i guess that means mine it's D15B VTEC anyways i still feeling the D16Z6 was stronger but what can i expect i drive an automatic! thanks again!:D

·
D-series Champ
1,338 Posts
I have a d15b and that bitch runs hard did three pulls at 182 hp with a few mods of course...boosting this month XS POWER style. my prob is my OBX oil pan will not fit it the stock one is longer any help here...
buy better parts, and quit hijacking other people's threads.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.