Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now im looking into purchasing a Crx shell from a friend of mine (seeing that if I can come up with the $ and if its really worth it), and I just wanted to throw any single cam in it just because of gas prices right now but instead of having to take it back out 6 months later I figured I might as well start off with something good while its bone stock, maybe a bolt on or 2. I know the z6 and y8 are fairly good from what I have read on here over the past few months and right now my funds arent great enough to really get into internal work maybe just header, intake, intake mani, and a catback and a better clucth or something. I was also wondering what would be a good tranny with a close gear ratio and what I should expect to spend on a used engine and tranny. Im gonna go to the local import junk yard and check with them. My buddy bought a sohc non vtec for his 88 4 dr sedan and it was the d15b2 I believe but it was low miles and real clean and paid 5 for just the long block and I dont wanna spend that much really considering I might tear it down in the future. I dont mind buying offline if shipping wouldnt kill me. Any help is appreciated and thanks! :D

·
Registered
240 Posts
where did your friend bought that motor from??? did he really bought it for 500 bucks?? or 5 dollars? the junk yard is a good start if you're gonna tear it down and rebuild it anyways... what kinda model is it??? if it's an si or hf, i would go to the junk yard or look around town to find a d16a6 or sohc zc(same IMO). the reason for that is because you don't have to spend alot of money putting it in. it's a stock si motor off of a crx/civic, non-vtec and obd0. if you want to spend a little more money then i suggest you go with the d16z6 or d15b and convert to obd1. if you have a dx model and/or have some cash to spend then i suggest you just go all out and do the dpfi to mpfi conversion then convert it to obd1 and get a z6, d15b, or y8.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
where did your friend bought that motor from??? did he really bought it for 500 bucks?? or 5 dollars? the junk yard is a good start if you're gonna tear it down and rebuild it anyways... what kinda model is it??? if it's an si or hf, i would go to the junk yard or look around town to find a d16a6 or sohc zc(same IMO). the reason for that is because you don't have to spend alot of money putting it in. it's a stock si motor off of a crx/civic, non-vtec and obd0. if you want to spend a little more money then i suggest you go with the d16z6 or d15b and convert to obd1. if you have a dx model and/or have some cash to spend then i suggest you just go all out and do the dpfi to mpfi conversion then convert it to obd1 and get a z6, d15b, or y8.
500 i dunno how I mistyped that lol and ill let u know all those details by tomorrow thanks for your input.

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
good god, 500 is insane. my last long block (Y7) i bought had 87k on it and a new t-belt (and associated) for $150. and the donor car was sitting right in the garage for me to look at the milage. any place can claim low miles, but unless you see it for yourself, it is just wind blowing up your skirt!

·
Registered
88 CRX
1,846 Posts
Dear god, I have a d15b2 that I can't get anyone to take away for FREE. You can find a better deal than that, California has some pretty active Craigslist pages I believe. Not familiar? www.craigslist.org

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh yea sry bout that and its an 89 not sure whether its an si or what but from what I hear its in really really nice shape and im trying to figure out if its worth what he is asking for it. Ill post pics if I can get a few. Thanks for the help guys :D

·
Registered
195 Posts

·
Worst Mechanic Ever!
EG
2,915 Posts
curious on why the D15B2?
Look at his avatar, the little picture below his name, and realize you asked a dumb question. :D

The a6 supposedly has as much potential as the d16z6, so thats probably not a bad choice if it's easy to drop in. I wouldn't know about that, I don't know shit our rexes.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So I got some pics of the car. It was flawless as far as the body goes. He said it was lowered with top notch stuff it was somethin that started with a T im not real knowledgable on Hondas and had a pretty expensive body kit. The interior was half way there but was extremely clean. I was curious to see what you guys think its worth...I loved it honestly, and sorry for the terrible quality all I have is a cell phone :(

Side Shot

Front

Rear

Dash

Seat & Shot Of Back Interior

Engine Bay, I didnt look @ it close but I know it used to have a B series.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts