Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 89 civic si that i picked up about 6months ago ..a ef has been my dream car for ever now ..i was just looking for a ef shell at the time ..found this guy posting a 89 civic si hatch on craigslist for cheap.. i didnt really ask to many questions ..it ran "just needed work" and it was in the price range i was looking for just the shell ..it has a d15b2 in it and its toast now i also have a d15b1 i picked up for $150 bucks because i need the tranny off of it for the d15b2 .. the guy said the d15b1 burned a little oil and smoked a little bit so i dont want to waste my time and money to put this in ,when in a couple months iam going to drop a new motor in it with tax money ..so brings me to my question ..what d series motor should i drop in?? hmotorsonline has a jdm d15b, but i here alot of people talking about the d16's also .. just confuesd on what to do ..and as far as upgrades when i drop the motor in is just bolt ons ..headers exhaust intake simple shit just cause not alot of funds ..i just want a clean hatch with a single cam motor slamed and with some bolt on ..for now... later on i wanna sleave it and go nuts with boost and spank dohcs! haha ..any way what do you think would be the best d series motor for me

·
Registered
441 Posts
I've never heard anything bad about the JDM d15b....as long as you get the normal, single stage vtec (only one vtec solenoid, not 2, no EGR)

·
Registered
same
1,881 Posts
For an ef you could run a built a6 or a a6/z6 combo. A6 head would keep the obd0 configuration that is stock in the car or go obd1 with a z6 motor. Just run the cable trans for an ef si similar to the s20 trans out of the z6 but those are hydro. A lot of guys have had great success with the a6 the just put a z6 or y8 Mani on.

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
jdm d15b + a6 head + y7 cam gear
stuff the d15b with rods and 9:1 pistons
hang a nice 60-1 turbo from it all
edelbrock IM and hype-r tb
600-ish injectors
and then tune it.... praying it holds :)

·
Registered
91 CRX Si
4,454 Posts

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
d16z6 because any d16 has slightly more displacement than a d15, but the best crank and oiling system is in a z6 and it lends itself to boost better than most (check the d16z6 build bisimoto did in the war wagon, theres a reason he went with the z6)...

to top that, more aftermarket support for the bottom end on a d16 such as rods and pistons, bearings and high pressure oil pumps from top companies like toda...not just ACL and king and clevite (nothing wrong with them either)...i use honda OEM. but im a bigger fan of the d16, just better all around IMO. oh and cam choices are more plentiful for the d16 applicaitons

peace

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
haha.. you dont much do you? apparently not.. a .1L change in displacement is nothing to write home about and doesnt truly effect the end out come as miuch as you think when your dealing with 1.xxL engines.

i like how you blanked the d15 vs d16. as if ANY d16 will beat out any d15. a JDM d15b will smoke check any of the D16 non vtecs in a race of peak whp, given the same treatment is spread around between the two engines.

try not to buy into the "no replacement into displacement" theory and buy into the one that this site propagates. "no replacement for displacement, given all things are equal.". once you realize this, you will see the error of your comment.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
apparently i dont know much...hmm lets see

i agree, a jdm d15b will probably smoke check a d16 nonvtec in most circumstances "given all things are equal."...but its not equal cuz no VTEC!!!
thats called being hypocritical. how about a stock on stock d15b2 vs a d16y7? thats a little closer to equal. wouldnt like your 1.5 then would you? thats because every little bit of displacement does help.

a jdm d15b is a sick and unique building block to start with but its also rare and as a result harder to locate parts for. It provides less scalability in terms of cost to end result when you add boost to it down the road plus u can add on more frustration when he will post future threads requesting answers on what the real specs are for d15b rods etc...and other legendary things the d15b has that others dont. psssttttt i hear it even comes with a small jdm midget that helps pedal the crank!

i never said "theres no replacement for displacement" i just made the comment that a little more isnt a bad thing. that cant really be argued. your reply to Mr. Soichiro Honda would go something like this: "what were you thinking! bad honda! dont you dare give me .1 more liter! you dont know much do you? apparently not..."

i was simply suggesting he use a solid d16z6 (which im sure not many would hate on) because he wants something that will respond well to minor bolt ons now, but also leave him room to expand later if he wants to go crazy with the boost. and aftermarket options should come into play here.

no hard feelings, i understand your simplistic qualms with my comment and agree with you on some of it (especially the theory this site "propogates"...though i think its "mitigates" at times) but i was just looking to provide a basic reply to a basic question (Q: what D should i drop in my car?) and my original reply is both basic and accurate. you look like a boss on this site so no disrespect at all, you definetly know your stuff. peace.

but regardless keep it simple and go with the z6

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
i agree, a jdm d15b will probably smoke check a d16 nonvtec in most circumstances "given all things are equal."...but its not equal cuz no VTEC!!!
sure they are. the original design is maintained and compared. one has vtec and one has displacement. please, dont over rate vtec on a single slammer. its worth about as much as that .1L of displacement.

thats hypocritical dude. how about a stock on stock d15b2 vs a d16y7? thats all things equal. wouldnt like your 1.5 then would you? thats because every little bit of displacement does help.
seeing as i have placed a b7 and a y7 in the same chassis and "drove them expediently", the b7 wins. both used 96-00 dx transmissions, in the same 95 dx sedan chassis.

what the real specs are for d15b rods etc...and other legendary things the d15b has that others dont.
the JDM d15b has already been spec'ed out. same with the USDM version. there arent any things he will have to search for out of the norm.

i was simply suggesting he use a solid d16z6 (which im sure not many would hate on) because he wants something that will respond well to minor bolt ons now, but also leave him room to expand later if he wants to go crazy with the boost. and aftermarket options should come into play here.
a JDM d15b will respond better to bolt ons then a z6, it has a better r/s ratio and the same head, also has the addition of less miles (usually, so less compression drop).

but regardless keep it simple and go with the z6
if you really wanted to keep it simple you would suggest an A6. zero wiring and no headaches to find the misc parts needed to make it all work out.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Bravo sir!
I like the itemizing btw (im being serious here). its nicer for parenthetical arguments sake. very orderly in its smack down of my reply.

But come onnnnnn dude, the z6 is not a bad option here. Especially for boost down the road and fun now.

I doubt the b7 (though i said b2 in my scenario you crafty bastard!) will actually beat a y7 stock on stock. my stock 96 cx y7 walked all over my brothers 93 cx b7 10 times out of 10 and he is a better driver than i am. the y7 gets no love but its a good one. mine was surprisingly gutsy and is getting a make over as we speak (feel free to comment on my thread on here for the bisimoto non vtec head build btw. your constructive criticism is damn good). but i havent done that swap in the same chassis so....you win.

i fold. i still maintain that the z6 is the simple and best answer bc its usdm, readily available, somewhat more affordable, best crank and oil system and "arguably" the best all around d series building block because it has been used and tuned to higher proven performance results than any other bar none but i digress.

youre very smart. i repped your first reply even though it said i apprently know nothing. regardless i have nothing but respect for you. and if i could get my hands on an affordable jdm d15b i would, but thats because i like being unique with a build. Unique and performance= jdm d15b....simple performance in my mind = d16z6.....
peace

1 - 20 of 33 Posts