Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off let me say that I am a total newbie. If this has already been discused, I am sorry. Anyway, I have a 89 CRX HF with a D15B8 motor. I was at advance auto today trying to buy a distributor cap and rotor, but the ones they showed me were not the ones I needed. So He said for me to get the right ones I had to find out what type of car my motor came out of. So I am hoping one of you will help me out. Does anyone Know?

·
Registered
951 Posts
You should still be useing the stock obd0 distributor for that car. The 1.5 and 1.6 distibutor caps are the same i thought. Do you have mpfi or dpfi?
If its multipointfuelinjection with 4 fuel injecoters you need the d16a6 1.6 distributor cap for 88-91.

·
Registered
915 Posts
DontSaveHer said:
You should still be useing the stock obd0 distributor for that car. The 1.5 and 1.6 distibutor caps are the same i thought. Do you have mpfi or dpfi?
If its multipointfuelinjection with 4 fuel injecoters you need the d16a6 1.6 distributor cap for 88-91.
b7 is the same also,as is the z6 i beleive

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have multi-point. I just called advance and the cap for a 95 civic cx is exactly what i need. I knew you were the right guys to ask. Now I need to ask an even harder question. The reason I am doing a tune up is that my car has been driving very irratic. It sound and feels rough. It studders when I accelerate and I have a check engine light that is comming on. I looked at the computer and it showed 12 short flashes then a pause. I think that is saying I have and exhaust gas recirculation lift valve problem. Anyone know if thats right, or what to do about It?

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
caspian320 said:
I have multi-point. I just called advance and the cap for a 95 civic cx is exactly what i need. I knew you were the right guys to ask. Now I need to ask an even harder question. The reason I am doing a tune up is that my car has been driving very irratic. It sound and feels rough. It studders when I accelerate and I have a check engine light that is comming on. I looked at the computer and it showed 12 short flashes then a pause. I think that is saying I have and exhaust gas recirculation lift valve problem. Anyone know if thats right, or what to do about It?
Bingo. Code 12 is EGR. The passage needs to be cleaned or you need a new valve.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I hope I dont need a new one. I just looked up the price and its $228 dollars. How do I clean the passage?

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
if the sensor is bad or unplugged would that cause the car to run bad?

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
Yes.

For instance, if your CTS(Coolant Temp Sensor)went bad or was unplugged, the ECU wouldn't know when to go to closed-loop operation. EGR is different than a CTS, obviously.

Cars with EGR have that calculated into their A/F ratio. If the EGR stops working or if the sensor goes out so the ECU thinks it isn't working, it throws the whole calibration off.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
so what would be my first step in fixing this problem? can i take the egr valve off and tell its not working by looking at it? Do I just get a new one and see if that fixes the problem?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts