Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
00' Honda Civic EX
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been wanting this shit off my tails for a long time but I've been lazy about it and I don't know what to use to get it off with. I've tried paint thinner and it didn't hardly do shit at all. Would aircraft stripper be good? Or is there something else I can use?

·
Banned
Audis, Vdub, R6,EVO8
1,594 Posts
Back in the day I had Hx rims on my sol, I used the Aircraft stripper that stuff worked like magic, but that was on a rim... not plastic, that stuff eats through everything, just read the warnings on the bottle. what about nail polish remover?

·
Live,love,laugh,be real
07' Odyssey 07'Magnum
5,973 Posts
I've been wanting this shit off my tails for a long time but I've been lazy about it and I don't know what to use to get it off with. I've tried paint thinner and it didn't hardly do shit at all. Would aircraft stripper be good? Or is there something else I can use?
your fucked, gotta buy some new ones...

·
Registered
00' Honda Civic EX
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll read the warnings on the aircraft stripper and see what it says about plastic. I wouldn't think I would have to buy new ones. I should be able to sand it out if nothing else but I dunno

·
Live,love,laugh,be real
07' Odyssey 07'Magnum
5,973 Posts
I'll read the warnings on the aircraft stripper and see what it says about plastic. I wouldn't think I would have to buy new ones. I should be able to sand it out if nothing else but I dunno
dont wast your time bro... sorry to say but you will have to replace them... i know from experiance... i warn you that if you do try the stripper it will melt your plastic then you will have f-ed up tails till your new ones come in... i know this is not what you want to hear but consider it tough love...

·
Registered
00' Honda Civic EX
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have some other old 96-98 tails that have a little paint on them so I'll try the stripper on those 1st and see if it melts the plastic away or not. Not saying you don't know what you're talking about but Im like desperate to get this paint off.

·
Live,love,laugh,be real
07' Odyssey 07'Magnum
5,973 Posts
I have some other old 96-98 tails that have a little paint on them so I'll try the stripper on those 1st and see if it melts the plastic away or not. Not saying you don't know what you're talking about but Im like desperate to get this paint off.
im the same way, i dont belive what i hear till i try it myself... i understand...:eek:

·
Registered
00' Honda Civic EX
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
haha yea thanks for the replies though man. I'll definitely try it on something else but I put it to my tails

·
I got a promoted! And I'm PINK!!
2,260 Posts
Im going to say.... acetone is going to fuck y0 lights up also.
actually no it dont, ive done it more then once to the same light, all it does is removes the shinyness also, so a layer of clear coat afterword wont hurt

·
Premium Member
civic coupe
7,943 Posts
acetone or aircraft stripper all that crap will eat holes in the plastic (ive seen it happen lol) wetsand the hell outta with with the finest sandpaper you can find

·
I got a promoted! And I'm PINK!!
2,260 Posts
Acetone is often the primary (or only) component in nail polish remover. Acetonitrile, another organic solvent, is sometimes used as well. Acetone is also used as a superglue remover. It can be used for thinning and cleaning fiberglass resins and epoxies. It is a strong solvent for most plastics and synthetic fibres.
Acetone can also dissolve many plastics, including those used in consumer-targeted Nalgene bottles. Acetone is also used as a drying agent, due to the readiness with which it binds to water, and its volatility.
tail lights are not made from the same plasic as plastic bottles. like ive said, ive used it before, more then once time

·
Registered
00' Honda Civic EX
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If Green 91 has used it more than once on tail lights...then I think he wouldn't know at least a little about what he's saying. I might get some and try it on my spare tails. Where can you get it? Just any auto parts store?

·
sub-sponsor
93 civic
5,175 Posts
i've seent he aircraft stripper fuck up bumpers, door handles, and lights...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts