Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i took the turbo apart to rebuild it & i've been soaking the turbine shaft in the parts cleaner for a few days. when it didn't really break up the caked on carbon & the baked on deposits on the turbine blades, i tried soaking it in paint solvent but that hasn't really worked either. i read that only glass bead blasting would be the only thing that would clean the turbine blades, is that correct???
thanks for any feedback...

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
***this is for metal parts only!!! i wouldn't do this for rubber parts so i only suggest if the turbo is taken apart!!!***

on the turbine blades, there were hard deposits on it (kinda looks like white calcium deposit on old pipes). i couldn't really scrape it even w/ a razor blade...i even tried using a small wire wheel on a dremel & that didn't even work.
then when i was in home depot, i bought a couple of different cleaners...the magic potion that cleaned up quickly (a couple of hours depending on the amount of grime on the part) all the white deposit & the grease is this:

also it'll eat aluminum if you let it sit long enough...so beware!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
yea its the aluminum eating part that makes me nervous, lol, but i was thinking im gonna need something to clean up my turbine and its housing.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Kill_Phil said:
yea its the aluminum eating part that makes me nervous, lol, but i was thinking im gonna need something to clean up my turbine and its housing.
yeah i would use that cleaner for the turbine & housing only...it cleans it right up.;)
for the compressor wheel & housing, i would recommend using a parts cleaner that you can buy in the 1 gallon paint can @ the auto parts store or some other spray cleaner or gasoline. the aluminum parts doesn't rust & have that hard caked on sh*t so it won't be that hard to clean.:alky:
good luck

1 - 12 of 12 Posts