Honda D Series Forum banner

What can I get out of a greddy turbo???

1K views 28 replies 11 participants last post by  turboman 
G
#1 ·
Hey guys I don't post here much but so far I am completely happy with my car.

Been driving it on and off for a few years and finaly did some upgrades this spring. 3inch downpipe and exhaust, Y8 ported manifol and ported gsr throttlebody. Didn't do a whole lot except screw up my tune HAHA

So I finaly got it tuned and had mitsubishi injectors put in yesterday. Well anyways it is incredibly fast and only set at 11 lbs of boost. I think that greddy downpipe was really holding it back.

Unfortunately the shop that did it doesn't have a dyno so I don't know how much it actualy did. But I have to think it is pushing close to 300hp. Spun the tires at 80 in 3rd how cool.

So I am wondering how much horsepower other people have gotten out of a greddy turbo?

#5 ·
ryan89crx said:
is it possible to hit 300 with the turbo that comes in those kits?
this is what i was kinda leaning towards from my first comment..

reminds me of some kid i seen last night... intake/exhaust pontiac sunfire (pretty much a cavalier)... "how much power u think ur makin...?" - "oh about 200 to the wheels...."

..but :TU: to the built block

8)

G
#7 ·
haha now I really want to dyno it. It made 220 at 10 lbs 2 years ago when the motor was built up. I guess although it's not raised up much in boost the turbo it able to push a higher volume of air. Getting rid of the elbow from the turbo really did help.

But yeah I got to dyno it some time.

I'm just curious because I have heard so many people say you can only make so much on this turbo. Really like to find out how far people have been able to take it. Or am I going into uncharted territory???

G
#8 ·
If your running the TDO4-15G it is only capable 300hp according to greddy anyway and that figure isnt to the wheels either. I have heard that you can usually plan on an extra 10hp from each pound you turn up the boost. Dont know that I agree with that personally I think setups vary too much for that theory to apply. Mind you its just my opinion but I wouldnt hope for any more than 240 to the wheels

#12 ·
turboman said:
haha now I really want to dyno it. It made 220 at 10 lbs 2 years ago when the motor was built up. I guess although it's not raised up much in boost the turbo it able to push a higher volume of air. Getting rid of the elbow from the turbo really did help.

But yeah I got to dyno it some time.

I'm just curious because I have heard so many people say you can only make so much on this turbo. Really like to find out how far people have been able to take it. Or am I going into uncharted territory???
so you gained 80 whp from raising it from 10psi to 11psi and taking off an elbow?

matt

#14 ·
before this turns into arument, just dyno it and show proof, I dont think you are even near 250WHP imo.. Do you even run times @ track? That would help.. What do you have done?? Name your built motor..

G
#15 ·
I only really autox so technicaly more power then I really ned anyways. But it can be fun to mash the pedal on the hgihway. But yeah I couldn't do a drag race launch to save my life.

No way was I looking for an argument. Just looking to see how far others have been able to push a greddy turbo. So technicaly it really doesn't even matter if I even have a honda in real life at all.

I do get annoyed when people read half a post then throw in there 2 cents. But what ya gonna do it's the internet. And hell even I have done that HAHA

But yeah I will hopefully get a chance to test it out at a dyno day near me soon.

G
#18 ·
HAHA never gave my motor a name :razz:

I think this board implies that I have a sohc. But since ya want to really know I'll give a run down where I can. Motor was built 3 years and 25k ago.

d16z6 motor
eagle rods
pistons-??? I really can't remember but 8 to 1 compression
honda valves
crower valves and springs-I am pretty sure
Arp bolts where needed
Ported y8 manifold
Ported GSR throttle body
no porting on the head
greddy manifold
greddy turbo
greddy intercooler
custom 3 inch downpipe and exhaust
msd ignition system
holley fuel pump
440 injectors
clutch master flywheel, clutch and pressure plate
quaife lsd

ground control 450 front 550 rear
ingals camber -.5 front -1.5 rear
ebay ghetto front under brace and nuespeed upper
ghetto steelies for winter azeinis for summer fun :mrgreen:

hondata management
apexi boost controler
apexi vtec controler-just use it as a gauge obviosly

Guess thats most of it.
Later

Drive safe!

#20 ·
did you get rid of the greddy elbow? how did you do that? that is the biggest restriction in a greddy turbo kit. also if you did get rid of the elbow, did you keep your a/c?

G
#23 ·
sohc-gT said:
did you get rid of the greddy elbow? how did you do that? that is the biggest restriction in a greddy turbo kit. also if you did get rid of the elbow, did you keep your a/c?
had to get a peice custom made. And yes it really does open up the system. but its not that hard. Just take the gasket lay it on some 1/4 inch metal and trace. Make your part then mate it up to your exhaust.

I even have a picture. I tried to get some made for others for $40 a peice but no takers. But yeah you could do it yourself. Here it is welded to a 3 inch pipe. And no you cannot do this and keep your ac. You would have to get some sort of manifold that mounts the turbod over to the side I guess.

G
#24 ·
TDO4H-15G will run outta air way before 300whp.
Nice work on that custom downpipe, but even with all mods i call 220-230whp maxing up the turbo at 14-15psi. The 8.1 compression will also hold you back alittle.
Good stuff with the build, best of luck.

#26 ·
i made 195 @ 12 psi with a greddy turbo and dsm sidemount, running open down pipe. with the front mount on (never made it to the dyno) i could spin tire to 90 mph if i didn't drive around it. in a couple months i hope to make 300 whp @ 15 psi with a "greddy" manifold and "greddy" turbo useing the greddy elbow still.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.