Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
The Honda with a d16
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here is the story summed up, I was driving down the road, just cruising. I wasnt even getting into the car. But for some reason I either broke a push rod or blew the rod completely. Ive been checking around the web but im not a PRO mechanic so I cant really find what I need to buy to fix EVERYTHING to par, so what does it really take to replace this. Should I be watching for something else that caused the rod to break or what?

Anyway, car had oil. still has oil.

Basically;
Id like to know approx what it SHOULD cost me to fix and what else I should do while im fixing it. ex: gaskets or what?

Other options, Should I just buy a new motor all together?

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Just source yourself a used block, Open up the oil pan and check for any bearing shielving. If it looks good, grab some new parts.

-headgasket
-waterpump
-timing belt
-thermostat
-plugs
-wires

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
Not enough information.
Im unsure of what happen to your car. You say push rods then blew a rod.

If you throw a rod throw the block while not in boost or high rpm then something is really wrong.
If you got a knock then spun a bearing more or less it was lack of oil.

Take the motor out and check it. Then post pix and we may be able to tell you what happen.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
If you broke a push rod in a d series you would be the first in history to do it.

If you think you broke a connecting rod it will be easy to tell... just look for the big hole in your block that doesn't belong there.

If there is a hole in the block you will want to pick up a new engine.

200-1000 depending on the engine
a day for the swap
and then back to smokey burn outs

·
Registered
'95 DX Coupe (Red)
457 Posts
Find a motor at the bone yard... put it in... then you will take the old motor and either have a block to rebuild to make something faster, or have a cool pic for your avatar...

<-- see my avatar for example ;')

sloopy.

·
Registered
EG8
1,055 Posts
If you broke a push rod in a d series you would be the first in history to do it.

If you think you broke a connecting rod it will be easy to tell... just look for the big hole in your block that doesn't belong there.

If there is a hole in the block you will want to pick up a new engine.

200-1000 depending on the engine
a day for the swap
and then back to smokey burn outs
My buddy blew the crap out of his connecting rod and somehow had no hole in his block....

He also found a piston chunk in his intake mani though.

·
Registered
97 honda coupe
7,611 Posts
So here is the story summed up, I was driving down the road, just cruising. I wasnt even getting into the car. But for some reason I either broke a push rod or blew the rod completely. Ive been checking around the web but im not a PRO mechanic so I cant really find what I need to buy to fix EVERYTHING to par, so what does it really take to replace this. Should I be watching for something else that caused the rod to break or what?

Anyway, car had oil. still has oil.

Basically;
Id like to know approx what it SHOULD cost me to fix and what else I should do while im fixing it. ex: gaskets or what?

Other options, Should I just buy a new motor all together?
I either broke a push rod
Either broke a push rod
broke a push rod
a push rod
pushrod

·
Registered
94 Integra
1,225 Posts
I was just cruising once and broke a connecting rod - but it was a shitty y7 block that had bad rod knock when I got it. It ended up having 3 spun MAIN bearings and a 2nd spinning rod bearing. The funny part was it put an H-shaped hole into the oil galley.

OP, check the block thoroughly (inside and out) for holes. You're sure to have one, and will be better off with a new block & head, or block & some valves.

·
Registered
My Dx
39 Posts
I pulled the head off an old 2.3 mustang for somebody the other day. No. 1 had a chunk missing and all the bores were out of round. So i called him and he said he has a manual to fix it.. Im gonna let him have fun with that. point is it ran right before i pulled the head with a blown hg and we never found the missing chunk of piston..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts