Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm revving my D16Z6 to 7200 (stock) at the moment.

I'm wondering which part's I need to rev to 8k.

I have a built bottom end. I want to spend as little as possibly without loosing 2 much reliability. I'm hitting the limiter in 4th just before the line on the track. So need to rev higher.

I was thinking about some retainer's and spring's is this the minimum required to do 8k rpm's?

I know i probably won't make power up there it's just to save shifting to 5th on the track.

·
formerly Kit88
ek hatch
6,233 Posts
59300 cam, crsepo springs and jg retainers, has been working for me

·
formerly Kit88
ek hatch
6,233 Posts
Don´t remember the prices.

Stock crank pulley

·
Registered
'02 Civic LX Coupe
609 Posts
I would think you would be fine to fun up to 8k if you just had some nice aftermarket valve springs and retainers.

·
formerly Kit88
ek hatch
6,233 Posts
I would think you would be fine to fun up to 8k if you just had some nice aftermarket valve springs and retainers.
and rev limiter raised, j/k

·
Registered
315 Posts
is there any point in revving higher if you arent making power? the difference between that extra shift, or staying in 4th long after you are making good power is probably minimal, especially if you have an otherwise stock engine, because your power peaks around 6800-6900 rpm.

so i would do like others have said, and invest in some valvetrain upgrades... and a tune

what transmission are you using?

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
is there any point in revving higher if you arent making power? the difference between that extra shift, or staying in 4th long after you are making good power is probably minimal, especially if you have an otherwise stock engine, because your power peaks around 6800-6900 rpm.

so i would do like others have said, and invest in some valvetrain upgrades... and a tune

what transmission are you using?
I know the reason I do it is so I don't fall out of boost between shifts.Even though right now with the stock cam I'm probably not making power that high it helps me fall back into the sweet spot.

I've got zex springs/new oem retainers/stock valves/arp 2000 rod bolts,and tt rods and its all balanced though.Going to get the zex 59300 cam soon.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
so you are boosted, reving it past the peak power isnt gonna power drop off instantly like an n/a car, tons of people rev past that on boosted cars to keep it at the right RPM for the next gear...u just want it to finsh off a few feet on the track, rev hre instead of shifting..., I have been reving to 8000rpms on a bone stock z6 head with 15psi from a t3/t04e 57 trim for over 2 years now.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
ops, i saw what cBUScivictuner said about not falling out boost, and thought it was the OP.so i was thinking he was boosted

·
Hi hater!
12,548 Posts
But the op has a boosted car and I would say you prolly could raise the rev limiter to 7600-7800 safely you dont need valves the stock ones are fine you arent making enough power to justify but if you want piece of mind get springs and retainers and rev away. And to the person who said it would be better to shit to fifth gear you are so wrong on that one its better to just ride the rev limiter than to waste time shifting to fifth and losing rpms and boost right at the end of the race

·
Registered
315 Posts
But the op has a boosted car and I would say you prolly could raise the rev limiter to 7600-7800 safely you dont need valves the stock ones are fine you arent making enough power to justify but if you want piece of mind get springs and retainers and rev away. And to the person who said it would be better to shit to fifth gear you are so wrong on that one its better to just ride the rev limiter than to waste time shifting to fifth and losing rpms and boost right at the end of the race
I didn't say it would be better to shift, I just said the difference would probably be minimal... and the OP is not driving a boosted car. <-- Oops. I gotta pay more attention

·
Administrator
93 cx hatch
16,376 Posts
I didn't say it would be better to shift, I just said the difference would probably be minimal... and the OP is not driving a boosted car.
then why is this in forced induction?

id assume hes boosted because its in this forum, not na.. and i don think there are alot of cars all motor sohc topping out 4th in the 1/4

i rev my car to 7800-8000 rpms all the time beating the ever living piss out of it
im running an exospeed stage 3 cam, STOCK HEAD, and aem cam gear at 2 degrees retarded

ive got close to 15-20k miles boosted like this and another 10k ish all motor with the cam running it to 8k

edit.. he is driving a boosted car.. hll he runs 12's... http://www.d-series.org/forums/showthread.php?t=89373
what made you think it isnt boosted?

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
Yeah, like I said before in another thread. Dave Hickman swears by stock Z6 valve springs. Says they are perfect for more than 8000rpms. and says B16 springs are SHIT. its weird, but i believe it....ive seen tons of b16 drop valves.

·
Registered
315 Posts

·
yellow bar for me
viper blue 92 eg
3,572 Posts
i reved my stock head to 8k all day before i built it. now with crower valvesprings and retainers it sees 9500, never had a problem with the head, just cant seem to keep trannys together.

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
Yeah, you can just have the limiter raised w/o upgrading the head. Hell, I ran my hatch up to 7800 daily on stock valvetrain...reason was the crappy VX 2nd to 3rd shift though. In your case I'd still shift around 7250, but stay in 4th through the 1/4 mile.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts