Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
93 Civic del Sol Si
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody I have the age old question. What car battery to use with our Hondas? My del Sol really just needs a battery to crank the starter, I have no radio or other high energy using equipment besides a few aftermarket gauges and the nomal stuff. I'm wanting a battery that will fit in the stock location under the hood. So the question is what popular brand of battery should I use?

Odessey, Braille, or Optima? And if Optima do I want red top or yellow top? Or none of the above? Do I really need a big expensive battery to crank my high compression motor? Or would the typical off the shelf battery do me just fine? What do you all think?

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts
The stock size yellow battery will work fine and is cheaper then those other battery's. pretty much any off the shelf battery will be fine.

·
Registered
^
3,347 Posts
Ill be selling my Odyssey Drycell Battery PC680.

I can do $110 shipped overnight ;)

(no extra charge for overnight shipping).

Had it on my d15b turbo setup. Powered a 700watt amp and all my accessories (gauges)

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,292 Posts
A FRESH battery, nothing from Optima anymore. Since they moved most operations to Mexico the QC has went to junk except for the bluetop/grid batts the off roaders use.

·
turn up tha boost !
Honda
1,193 Posts
The stock size yellow battery will work fine and is cheaper then those other battery's. pretty much any off the shelf battery will be fine.
why spend the money on an expensive battery
I've had bad luck with expensive batteries (Optima and Tsunami?)
are you going for show quality? consider purchasing by what goes with your color scheme

I would try the Odessey

any regular battery would work

Attachments

·
Premium Member
93 Civic del Sol Si
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm wanting a good solid battery that can sit for a few weeks at a time in a car and not go dead if have to be. I want a battery that can perform and keep up with the demands of the car when the power is needed. And yes, I'd love a good looking battery for the engine bay. I don't have the prettiest engine bays in the world, but it is clean, simple, and semi-tucked. Rep to all who have responded.

·
Premium Member
93 Civic del Sol Si
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
What battery are you talking about? Optima yellow top?

·
Premium Member
93 Civic del Sol Si
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The odyssey one is what I would do. Small and effective
Odyssey is what I was aiming for, but I've got a local friend who has tried two different Odyssey batteries with no luck. But I keep hearing great things about Odyssey from others online...

·
\/Your Mom Was Here\/
Vibe GT
4,833 Posts
As long as you have a good charging system and drive the car on a regular basis then a plain battery off the shelf will last many years.

I bought a battery from Wal mart in 2001. I just replaced it this year.

·
Premium Member
93 Civic del Sol Si
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As long as you have a good charging system and drive the car on a regular basis then a plain battery off the shelf will last many years.

I bought a battery from Wal mart in 2001. I just replaced it this year.
The reason for all these questions is because I bought a new battery from Autozone in 2007 and it's beyond dead as of last night... So I'm wanting to get a better quality battery, and maybe one with a little bit of bling for the engine bay :)

·
Retired From Hondas
2,796 Posts
I bought a Shuriken BT20 which is same size as odyssey and similar specs.

I paid 65 shipped on Amazon.

Shuriken SK-BT20 20ah Battery : Amazon.com : Automotive

EDIT: I will say, it takes a few more revolutions to start the car, but works great and lightweight. It has deep cycle capabilities which i like for when my car sits for a few weeks. the alarm has small parasitic draw. Can also use Odysseys mount plate if tucking in dash.

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts
I'm wanting a good solid battery that can sit for a few weeks at a time in a car and not go dead if have to be. I want a battery that can perform and keep up with the demands of the car when the power is needed. And yes, I'd love a good looking battery for the engine bay. I don't have the prettiest engine bays in the world, but it is clean, simple, and semi-tucked. Rep to all who have responded.
I can tell you the the optima and odessy battery's don't hold a charge on a car that sits for a while. They hold for a little. That happened with all battery's just seems like it happens faster with aftermarket battery's. best thing would be some like a battery tender that will keep the battery charged all the time.

What battery are you talking about? Optima yellow top?
Duralast gold I think it's called. Any problems you can bring it back and have it swapped out for a new one.

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts
I bought a Shuriken BT20 which is same size as odyssey and similar specs.

I paid 65 shipped on Amazon.

Shuriken SK-BT20 20ah Battery : Amazon.com : Automotive

EDIT: I will say, it takes a few more revolutions to start the car, but works great and lightweight. It has deep cycle capabilities which i like for when my car sits for a few weeks. the alarm has small parasitic draw. Can also use Odysseys mount plate if tucking in dash.
This might be my next battery. Just have to make sure I can make it fit with intercooler piping,then found the mount for it.

·
Premium Member
93 Civic del Sol Si
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all the info guys, I think I will just look into an off the shelf battery instead of these aftermarket units. The car will not be driven daily, only on nice days with no chance of crap weather. I don't want to have to buy a battery charger to keep a battery plugged in and charging when I'm not using it.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Why not just an OEM battery? They have a 100 month warranty, and have been proven to be able to sit for weeks and still start.

A simple hard wired in trickle charger also is a good idea. They are small and just take a second to wire in.

·
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11
3,983 Posts
I'm in the industry, and I buy private labelled Johnson Controls stuff (pep boys, autozone, bosch, etc, all private label JCI product)

my company doesn't make SLI (car) batteries but I wouldn't touch Exide product, I'm leery of Deka, and EnerSys is pretty okay (odyssey, formerly hawker)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts