1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
My sig is longer than yours
2,163 Posts
Toluene has been used for yeeeeaaars in F1. Or at least it was used years ago. The fuel was capped at a maximum octane rating and a certain amount. They ran up to like 80% toluene in their boosted engines, and they also froze their fuel. It would expand like 50% or something ridiculous like that as it warmed up, providing them with plenty of extra. I love F1 sometimes, sneaky bastards.

Oh, and you can get Toluene at a paint store, maybe even walmart :)

·
Registered
1988 Honda CRX
6,676 Posts
We used it in the 1960s to boost pump fuel.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Toluene has been used for yeeeeaaars in F1. Or at least it was used years ago. The fuel was capped at a maximum octane rating and a certain amount. They ran up to like 80% toluene in their boosted engines, and they also froze their fuel. It would expand like 50% or something ridiculous like that as it warmed up, providing them with plenty of extra. I love F1 sometimes, sneaky bastards.

Oh, and you can get Toluene at a paint store, maybe even walmart :)
Yah and they were putting like 30+ psi of boost on it, haha

·
Registered
98 Civic CX-T on E85
1,797 Posts
a couple of my friends ran toulene in their cars, one was a 800whp supra and the other was a 500whp evolution...never had any issues and it smelled mmmmmmmmmm soooo gooood!

·
Registered
del Sol si '94
2,539 Posts
they also gelled the toluene. cant imagine the fuel pressure needed o inject that stuff..... but they aimed the injectors UPSTREAM, nstead of down like a normal fuel inj'ed car. Guess it has to do with atomizing the gelled fuel

·
Registered
1988 Honda CRX
6,676 Posts
Just to be pedantic about symantics, toluene or xylene are not really additives. They are fuels in their own right, so adding them is a blend, like if you mix regular and race gas.

Tetra ethyl lead is an additive because you only need to add a little.

Automotive Gasoline

This link contains a wealth of info about fuels.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just to be pedantic about symantics, toluene or xylene are not really additives. They are fuels in their own right, so adding them is a blend, like if you mix regular and race gas.

Tetra ethyl lead is an additive because you only need to add a little.

Automotive Gasoline

This link contains a wealth of info about fuels.
Awesome post. + Rep for you friend......

·
Registered
ej1
1,222 Posts
What does toluene cost for the 5 gallon cans at paint stores?

·
Registered
ej1
1,222 Posts
I was thankful to have read that link. Most octane boosters only give you .18-.2 ron or that much of a full octane number for the good ones and .1 ron for the cheap ones.

So if you get the octane booster from the dollar store and it says it treats 15gallons with a .1 ron increase does that mean you can run four of those bottles to 5 gallons to raise it up 1.2 octane numbers. J/K.

I'll all ways be grateful to have found out just how much of a scam the octane booster industry has been.
If I get around to calling the paint store I'll get a price on some MF Tolene and put it up here.

We have a local oil distributer selling premium regular gasoline 95 octane that smells like they've added a bunch of Tolene. It has more heat energy giving better mpg but seems like it needs more timing in some spots of the map.

·
Registered
1988 Honda CRX
6,676 Posts
That is what toluene will do.

It can also be bought in bulk from chemical supply houses or industrial grade solvent vendors or even oil companies.

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
That is what toluene will do.

It can also be bought in bulk from chemical supply houses or industrial grade solvent vendors or even oil companies.
i suggest anyone looking to use toluene or xylene price it out, then price out C16 or any other high octane fuel.

you will notice that race fuels are less expensive. usually by a lot.

i once got my hands on a 5L jug of toluene for free. that was the only reason i messed with it, otherwise it was way too expensive.

around here xylene is around $16 for 4L.

·
Registered
1988 Honda CRX
6,676 Posts
I have not bought toluene for over 20 years, but back then it was a little more expensive than normal super grade pump fuel. It is very likely that C16 contains a lot, like maybe 50% toluene. At $4.00 per litre I would not buy it.

You just need to do your sums as to what it costs vs alternative ways to get the octane you require. Here it was used as a substitute because it was cheaper than unleaded petrol due to tax avoidance, however current prices seem a lot more expensive than unleaded.

Toluene - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

·
Registered
91 CRX Si
4,454 Posts
Where I work we have hundreds of gallons of Toluene, Xylene, Heptane, and Iso. I run Iso to help pass emissions.

·
The Great Weldini
91 civic
8,901 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts