Hello.

My setup is
D16y8
Cp pistons 9:1
Eagle rods
Bisimoto 2.4 and valvetrain
Gt3071r
3" turboback exhaust

I Am curious what kind of timing would be safe for street tuning my car since its too hot outside to go to the dyno? Max psi will be 20psi with pump gas and im curious if i will be able to run more than that with pump gas?

Im looking for a little over 400hp if its possible.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
start off with taking out 1.25-1.5 degrees of timing per pound of boost. after you get your AFR's down you can add timing slowly and log each run and check your knock counts... if you get knock, back down the timing

always shoot for a richer AFR to begin with than a leaner. finishing AFR i would shoot for is between 11.5:1-12.2:1

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Im just asking which timing is too much and wich one is too safe. I saw someone with a setup pretty much like mine and he had 12-13 degrees at 20psi.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
every motor is different, some will take more, some will take less...

a knock sensor is used for a reason....

·
Registered
662 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Im asking because i had headlift all the time but found out that the static ignition timing was 16 degrees instead of 12degrees that the d16y8 supposed to have. Since i dont have a knock sensor and being able to.dyno tune the car right now i need to know a number even if its too much on the safe side. I know that this isnt the right way to tune but.since nobody else over here ever tuned this.kind of engine i need some help to find out what is safe and what not. Thanks in advance.

·
()*#$(*$
11,404 Posts
You DO have knock sensors. They are called your ears. Use them. Enhance them with det cans. This will do a better job of things than nearly all aftermarket knock sensing solutions on the market because your brain is waaaaay more powerful at DSP than most commercial solutions that are not inbuilt into newer factory systems.

That being said, you have to be very conservative with ignition timing with the Y8 engine. The head needs very little timing to produce maximum power, much less than any other D-series engine I've tuned, at least under normal circumstances. Considering that most NA higher than stock compression Y8 engines I've seen and in passing messed with have peak torque produced with something in the very low 20s or high teens for power, adding boost on top of that is going to mean you need very little timing advance to make good, reliable power with the Y8 at peak torque, and only very little more advance after peak torque to sustain the torque for as long as possible, but you won't need to add in too much at all, especially since you have a cam and turbo that can sustain torque to redline.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You DO have knock sensors. They are called your ears. Use them. Enhance them with det cans. This will do a better job of things than nearly all aftermarket knock sensing solutions on the market because your brain is waaaaay more powerful at DSP than most commercial solutions that are not inbuilt into newer factory systems.

That being said, you have to be very conservative with ignition timing with the Y8 engine. The head needs very little timing to produce maximum power, much less than any other D-series engine I've tuned, at least under normal circumstances. Considering that most NA higher than stock compression Y8 engines I've seen and in passing messed with have peak torque produced with something in the very low 20s or high teens for power, adding boost on top of that is going to mean you need very little timing advance to make good, reliable power with the Y8 at peak torque, and only very little more advance after peak torque to sustain the torque for as long as possible, but you won't need to add in too much at all, especially since you have a cam and turbo that can sustain torque to redline.
thank you a lot. That post was very helpfull.
Since you saw my setup is there any way that can tell me around what kind of timing i will be safer? I know its stupid that im asking that but i need a point to start from. :p

·
()*#$(*$
11,404 Posts
No. I can't and won't. Figure it out yourself. Be very conservative, use your head (ears and eyes) and don't be entirely stupid. I might be able to give you a clue later in the week when I street tune a turbo Y8, but, I'm going to follow my own advice and go slow.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Get on a load bearing dyno and do it properly.

In each cell, keep increasing your timing until your torque effect (DynoDynamics) starts to platue (level off).

Once the torque effect levels off, go to the least amount of ignition advance that maximizes your torque effect.

No det can necessary.

* torque effect: just a number that represents engine torque output, you want to maximize this number with the least amount of ignition advance as possible in every cell.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No. I can't and won't. Figure it out yourself. Be very conservative, use your head (ears and eyes) and don't be entirely stupid. I might be able to give you a clue later in the week when I street tune a turbo Y8, but, I'm going to follow my own advice and go slow.
Any updates of the car that you were going to tune?

·
Registered
36 Posts
There is no way of knowing what is a "safe amount" of timing with-out a dyno that can hold a load....

Timing is where all your power will come from. Your fuel could be stupid rich or stupid lean and there may be only a 5% change in power (not saying this is okay).

Where if your out 5 degrees, you could be missing 20% of your power (figure of speech). Power comes from timing.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I completely understand and know what you are saying.

Last time,since the static timing was off at 16* instead off 12* the car was running around 21* at 22psi...head lifted right away,hg went bad. Took the head off,checked the pistons and there are still ok,probably just need new rings.Cylinder walls though on the other hand took a shit and there are out of spec. Tuner didnt know that the mechanic fucked up the static timing so he went from there...we were street tuning too so was kinda hard to hear preignition. Thats why im asking to tell me what is safe. i guess 5* is way too safe and 21* that i was running with this setup and pump gas was way to much. I just need a point to start from...

·
()*#$(*$
11,404 Posts
You really need some det cans. That way you can listen to the engine, not the noise from the engine. 5* is safe at a good amount of boost, but you'll have to add it in slowly. A sharp increase in the coolant temperature is also a good sign detonation is approaching, so that is something to also keep in mind when you are tuning.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts