Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am converting to the y8 intake manifold (already in hand), but I thought for shits and grins we could see a whale penis on a Y7 stock engine. All you need is a 2.5" 90 degree elbow of some sort and about a 3-4" 2.5" extension after the 90 degree.

Don't worry, I am not running it like this for real. I just put it on to see how it would fit with a y7 intake before I do the swap. The intake air temp sensor actually reaches over if you peel back some of the harness. The valve cover hose is easy enough.

It drove like poop at first, but I reset the computer and actually now it feels good. Unfortunately it is a 3" intake so it's a little soggy under 2000 rpm but after that it works as stock or maybe even little better on the highway. I am logging my MPG as well.

Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Car Vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
I had one on a Y7 with a Y8 intake manifold, I didnt really get anything out of it.

I got more response and some midrange torque when I went to a 6" velocity stack that tapered to 2.5" . It was the BLOX kit you can find on ebay for $55-65

Overall from end of filter to the throttlebody was around 36-40 inches.

These days, I think the stock airbox works pretty darn well. So hop into a junkyard and see if you can grab a stock 96-00 EX airbox. All the fasteners will liekly be glued down with rust, so bring some care and patience. I dont feel the topend is much worth the usual loss down low. Most intakes do help midrange though.

The only thing I dont like about the factory airbox, is it is so quiet. I like induction noise.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,748 Posts
Strap it to a dyno and make 20+ pulls testing intakes, then long drives noting MPG and other tuning effects with trips to the drag strip with ET's dropping other the years.

Never got to test a whale penis on a D-slut, but for B's it did make better peak HP, but midrange TQ (B16 has none to begin with!) was down.

That mounting setup looks easy and clean, I'll give it that! I'd add some foil covered coroplast or similar to block out the engine heat.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Strap it to a dyno and make 20+ pulls testing intakes, then long drives noting MPG and other tuning effects with trips to the drag strip with ET's dropping other the years.

Never got to test a whale penis on a D-slut, but for B's it did make better peak HP, but midrange TQ (B16 has none to begin with!) was down.

That mounting setup looks easy and clean, I'll give it that! I'd add some foil covered coroplast or similar to block out the engine heat.
It's too big for a basic D16 being 3". I thought it was 2.5" when I ordered it. TBH it's not bad on a stock setup. I previously tried 3" all the way to the TB but I lost everything under 3k. So I went 2.5" to the intake pipe and my 2500ish starting point was restored. I feel like moving the air intake sensor from BEHIND the engine to the actual intake path helped more than the whole setup.

·
Registered
93 4d lx, z6,ported, port matched, compression bumped, balanced, manual swap
739 Posts
Put a race cam and a z6 or y8 intake, some port work, a decent compression bump, (10.2:1-11.4:1) a 62mm tb and the whale penis nets good gains (vs a 3 inch mandrel bent cold air) on a D above 6500 rpm. But for a dd it's about useless. It does however make a nice sound😃

1 - 5 of 5 Posts