1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys.. now i know this topic has been cover ALOT :/

but im having trouble cause heaps of poeple say they cant get them to fit etc
and no matter how hard i look i cant find ne info to help me with my car :/
DB6 integra with a 1.6 D series ZC non v tec.
heres a pic of the engine bay

what im wanting to know is what style whale penis will fit??
is this one here the write shape for it?
Simota Honda Whale SUPER Intake *SCARLES* | Trade Me
or
Password:JDM Dry Carbon Fiber PowerChamber Intake 94-01 Integra Type R / LS / RS | Password JDM
OR
Password:JDM Dry Carbon Fiber PowerChamber Intake 94-01 Integra GS-R | Password JDM

:/ (im REALLY new to this ae guys.. so please bear with me lol)

also what do i do about the MAF sensor thats pluged into the stock plastic piping?? it looks like theres no one for that on the whale dick. what have other ppl done? drill a hole? not use it at all? add an extra part for it?? please needing help with this!!

and im right in assuming that any of thos above ones would be better than a random plastic one that i found on trademe?? lol

thanks for all the help guys!! :)
(i want this pod for the sound, d.w bout "dont get it" posts, cause ima get it lol either way lol)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is no MAF sensor. Just an IAT sensor.
I see some of those links you posted provide a hole for it.
Some manifolds use the IAT in the back of the Manifold in which case you wont need a hole. Worst case drill a hole and plug the IAT into it.

i mean a hole for that senser.
they all have that hole in the front for if u run the the from the valve cover to them but ill b using a breather filter insted.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
yes Typo, the sensor you show is indeed the IAT sensor like Ron said above. it doesnt really matter where the hole is, as long as it is somewhere in the intake path. I shoved my IAT sensor up the intake manifold:

the breather tube can be safely disconnected if you feel comfortable with doing so. I used a one way valve from a Suzuki engine to keep it free to vent outside but avoid dirt getting inside the valve cover.

as you can see, the intake pipe is nice, smooth and clean all the way to the throttle body.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oh so u just put the sensor up by the actualy pod filter part? was thinking if i made like a heat sheld to go around the pod i could make a hole in that for it to go in nxt to the pod seeming cant really put it in the other end of a whale intake.

yuup im guna replace that pipe with one of thos lil breather filters that go right onto the valve cover

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
not in the filter, but the intake manifold. there are a lot of general purpose holes and pipes coming out of the one I use. check your manifold really carefully and see if there are any free openings. otherwise you could drill a little hole in it, stick the sensor in and seal up the edges.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ohhh i get u now!!

shit yea i didnt even think of putting it in the actual manifold -.- haha
ill have a look at it in the morning and see if i cant see a a whole or pipe and i feed it in with. thanks for that help :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
also, um what one of thos whale dicks is the wiret one for this engine set up? :)
im unsure as only have the prics to go by and no real measurements :/ and its a DB6 teg with a D series so no one really has much info on a teg like that ive found lol

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
welcome :)

if you dont find a hole and dont want to make one, you could use a "Y" splitter on any of the pipes that come out of the manifold. connect one end to the manifold, one end to the sensor and the third end to wherever the pipe originally goes to.

about which one is right, there is no answer. each engine is unique. I would recommend you save some cash and go DIY. as long as you have a pipe that is smooth, flexible and preferably insulating, it doesnt really matter what material it is made of.

my whole intake + filter setup costs less than 10 dollars. and it works like a dream :) go figure.

·
Im Bringing TSEXY Back!
^^Look up
5,468 Posts
You will be fine!
I have a PWJDM one on my last 5 swaps, 4 of them D`s and now currently on my B.

PWJDM already has a pre-cut whole foe the IAT sensor so your golden.
My personal favourite intake, it actually showed gains on the dyno.

·
Formerly weebeastie
926 Posts
my whole intake + filter setup costs less than 10 dollars. and it works like a dream :) go figure.
That hose is from a vacuum cleaner..........please don't tell me that you actually think it will outperform a properly sized air intake that is wrapped and draws cold air from outside of the engine bay.......

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
it *does* draw cold air from outside the engine bay, and it is from a water pump, not a vacuum cleaner :)

takes my 1.3 from 0-100 kmph in 11 seconds. it works pretty well for me and is a dead cheap experiment to perform. so why not?

·
Registered
98 honda civic LX
1,765 Posts
You will be fine!

this^

·
Formerly weebeastie
926 Posts
it *does* draw cold air from outside the engine bay, and it is from a water pump, not a vacuum cleaner :)

takes my 1.3 from 0-100 kmph in 11 seconds. it works pretty well for me and is a dead cheap experiment to perform. so why not?
Sorry, I didn't mean to come off as condescending, and meant to say that it looked like it was from a pool vacuum.........

If you were only going in short bursts then it would be fine in my book, but that type of plastic doesn't usually have good heat soak characteristics. That would be my draw back to using something like that.

Im not knocking the DIY at all, and I'm definitely not a proponent of spending 200-300 bucks on a stupid air intake (not worth it), what I was saying is that there are more efficient ways of accomplishing this goal without breaking the bank or resorting to using a plastic hose. The cheapest alternative is a plain jane chinese made CAI that is heat wrapped. Made a world of difference in IAT in tuning my car.

PS where is the air filter on your car?

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
no offence taken man. I was just clarifying. the plastic is pretty thick - 3 mm wall and feels like a plastic + silicone mix - and has held up to engine bay heat over some decently long distances without going all floppy or even weakening a little bit.

Ive marked the filter location in the attached picture:

08222011094.jpg

the filter element is paper used in a regular panel filter. its quite restrictive I know but the engine makes adequate torque despite it. whenever I am in the mood to let it rip, it is a 5 minute job to remove it and convert the intake to a proper unrestricted ram air setup. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You will be fine!

sweeet =D

now the question is seeming apprently tegs dont normaly have D series engines would i still use the 94-01 teg whale intake they have listed or should i b using one of thos civic ones as they have the dual bend in them??
it seems most people get the dual bend one and there is a cheaper verson of PWJDM's one on trademe which would b nice, i know not 100% because quality is lower but would still give the sound im after and have the look factor

have also send PWJDM an email about what pod i should b getting :)

·
Registered
del Sol si '94
2,539 Posts
sweeet =D

now the question is seeming apprently tegs dont normaly have D series engines would i still use the 94-01 teg whale intake they have listed or should i b using one of thos civic ones as they have the dual bend in them??
it seems most people get the dual bend one and there is a cheaper verson of PWJDM's one on trademe which would b nice, i know not 100% because quality is lower but would still give the sound im after and have the look factor

have also send PWJDM an email about what pod i should b getting :)
Can prolly just use one for whatever model they have listed that comes with a D-series engine. Prolly not a differance between a EG and a Teg e-bay other than the type of motor that came in the car.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts