Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all, i got a del sol with a z6 in it and has been running good for a few years on my old crappy Chinese turbo (gt35 clone). Been running up to 25 psi with this turbo on dsm 450's tuned on crome gold. Made good power last fall but stopped driving it due to the turbo seals were gone and was blowing white smoke.

So i bought me a new turbo garrett gt35r this time as i had the clone befor and was easier to just drop in.

I go for a drive after i put the turbo on and the smoke cleans out from the last turbo and everything is running good. I start to get on it taking off and it falls right on its face soon as i hit vtec. Odd so i disable vtec and i can get past the vtec engagement rpm now but it builds 1 or 2 psi and acts like some type of rev limiter/ fuel cut off etc... So i pull my plugs they look kinda white so i add more fuel and try again same thing. Im now at over 100% duty cycle on my 450's so i buy some RC 1000cc injectors and put them in. Now my fuel is good but still have the same problem. ITs there in low cam and kinda noticable but vtec forget about it just falls on its face, wide band says its rich in 10's so i cant see how its fuel. I replaced the fuel filter as it set all winter. Still no change.

I did a compression check on the motor (z6 with vitars) and had 165,170,175,170 so the engine is ok for a low comp build. Burns no oil now, no coolant. The car drives fine off of boost, but once boost starts i have these damn issues.

Im thinking my turbo is the cause of all this but want to get some different thoughts on this.

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
What plugs are you running? Might need a step colder if theyre blistering. Its a fairly large turbo the excessive fuel might be hurting you especially if your wideband only reads to 10:1afr like my plx you may be much richer than that try to get it around 11:1. Hows your timing under boost? Retard it .75deg per lb of boost. Also get it tuned.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im running ngk BKR7ES-11 @.30 gap

In the boost table section im at -7 to 10 depending on where you land in the table. In low cam when it starts to build i can get to 5k rpm before it starts doing its werid stuff.

Not a vtec issue samething happens when vtec is disabled.

I guess a major retune is in order but i felt the map from before should make some boost maybe not 100% but some.

But you dont think its the turbo then?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will check the flex pipe section, but that was replaced late summer last year 2013. I have ran 25 psi on the 450's for 2 years with out any issues, no lean conditions etc.... But now that im up to the 1000c's i shouldnt be having fuel issues now.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Have you tried tightening the spark plug gap? Do you have a fuel pump in your car to support the bigger injectors?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not this year i havent, i could try .28 and yes i have a walbro 255 pump in the tank.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
in the 10s is the reading, i have recalibrated the WB and still in the 10's i do see 13's when i was driving it. The plugs are white and used to be moca color so i dont know if its rich or not even with the WB stating it is.

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
in the 10s is the reading, i have recalibrated the WB and still in the 10's i do see 13's when i was driving it. The plugs are white and used to be moca color so i dont know if its rich or not even with the WB stating it is.
10 is way to rich.
and post a pic of the plugs. white can also be burning coolant.
Not much should change just from swaping turbos. A small adjustment to the tune is all that should of been needed.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Did a retune last night and got the afr's in the 13's to 15's. Plugs now are blackish still have to get the fuel map better. But i was messing with timing and when i gave it more timing the issue goes away and i can go thru the rpm range with out hesitation. I didnt get much drive time cause it was getting dark and my headlights sux lol but i did make it to 6psi so im getting there i think.

This new tune is so different from my old one, Xile6 your right it should have been just a simple tweak and should have been good.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I got my fuel all tuned in, then after a while it started going slightly lean. I tuned the fuel in again and after a while it started going lean again.....did this three or four times over the last month till it was obvious that something was going on. I checked my idle fuel pressure and it was down to about 25 psi (originally had it set at 55psi).

First thought was my ebay cheapo fuel pressure regulator so i grabbed a pair of pliers and squeezed off the return hose. The fuel pressure didn't go up a bit.

I ended up finding a small tear in the flexible plastic hose that goes from the fuel pump up to the fuel pump cover.

$6 later I turned the key on and BAM 80 psi at the regulator.....backed it down to 50 psi and have more than enough fuel now and started retuning again on my way to work this morning.

Moral of the story is some time you have another problem you don't know about that can give you the worst headaches.

Has your fuel pressure changed at all? You regulator may have gotten knocked out of whack and raised the pressure?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think it was my fuel filter it was so clogged that i could not even get the gas to drain when turned up side down. I would always hear the fuel pump when running a high wine noise. Now its quite since i changed the fuel filter. I think that was some of my issues as well. When i changed my filter i got a bad one at first and i broke my banjo bolt for the pressure gauge so i have no idea what it is running now till i replace that. Damn cheap Chinese filters! hard to find a good one any more.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Found the problem! it was a bad coil, so the popping i was talking about was the coil cutting out under boost. Now i have no issues. I knew it wasn't my tune :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts