Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Honda Civic Dx
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Granted I don't consider myself an alcoholic but an assignment for my psychiatric nursing class brought me there. What an eye opening experience. I am so happy I attended the meeting. I do have addictive qualities in my personality and although I only drink occasionally, I drink a lot during those occasions! I also stop smoking and only keep smoking pot and cigarettes during parties, drinking and whatnot.

But getting back to the program, after just attending one meeting I feel that with commitment anyone who feels they need the program will be succesful. This is for the AA open meeting, 12 step format. I feel the core values of the meeting can be applied to any facet of life, with the key point being is to stop being selfish!! Just some stuff I wanted to share.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,252 Posts
Got kicked out of AA....

Back then smoking was allowed inside and people we drowning themselves with pots of coffee.

Cross Addiction, brought that up and was asked to leave.

While you may not consider yourself an alky, based on the fact you might only have 6 beers as compared to the others in group that some how were able to function after drinking two fifths of 80 proof vodka a day, you still have issues to face.

I'm against AA because of the religion being pushed. Until the person can have a real talk with themselves, or bring up the topic in group...you'll always make excuses. Either trying to run from the problems or drown them, BTDT.

Getting past the denial issues, that is a huge step.

Look into how many alky's also have BP/MD issues as well. We drink/smoke to help smooth out the wave rather than deal with it. Only that wave will always be there and it will come back all at once, like a tsunami of emotions.

·
Registered
2000 Honda Civic Dx
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The religious aspect is a big factor as not everyone has or believes in religion. But I respect the group in the fact that it gives an outlet for those in need and an ability to share ideas beyond the social level. I also have issues to deal with and I'm sure that's one of the reasons why attending the class elicited a strong response from me. At the same time, we all have some issues to deal with at some level.

I honestly didn't know it was religious based. When I made that comment to the group, one person corrected me and said that it was spiritually based. I can see his point as well. I think the biggest thing here is empathy instead of sympathy. If we prqcticed that a bit more, things might be a bit better.

·
Registered
My car...or my truck
1,035 Posts
I attended meetings back in the early 90's and the experience was closer to Bones, a lot of swapping addiction, a lot of people that had underlying issues that exacerbated their alcoholism and a program that didn't dare touch on the core issues of what brought 90% of them to the room. Figuring out what gave these people their addictive personalities would have gone a lot farther than putting it all in the hands of "he that shall not be discussed on the D". Needless to say, I stopped going and found my own path, never really quit drinking, can't really explain it, just don't like to drink in excess like I did when I was younger, think it had more to do with getting my life in somewhat order and not feeling so helpless. A big part of it was moving out of the valley and to the bay (that is moving out of the San Joaquin valley and to the San Francisco bay area for any non nor cal folk), being removed from the family and making friends that had jobs that trumped their drug habits instilled something of a sense of responsibility in me, you know, a bit of "when in Rome...", but without buttsex

I think a lot of addiction is people filling holes in their lives, if they figure out what is supposed to be in that hole, the addiction kind of just goes away. There is a lot to be said for being happy

·
Premium Member
90 crx si/96 accord
788 Posts
Bill & Dr Bob based the 12 steps out of the Bible... Their literature claims spiritual not religious but I find that to be a croc of shit!

What spiritual program in their right mind would incorporate the lords prayer into their format???wtf..

All of which why NA is the place for me.....cross addiction is very real and is often discussed at great lengths..... However I will never give up the 2 legged drug...hahaha

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,252 Posts
Step 1, get past the denial and admit you are powerless....

Take that power BACK and gain control, only one person can do that and it has nothing to do with spirituality or religion.

The steps can be done without it.

BTW: The first seven words in the OP's post....that is denial.

I have openly admitted, threads like these are a form of group therapy.

·
Registered
2000 Honda Civic Dx
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BTW: The first seven words in the OP's post....that is denial.
This was what I wanted to ask the group during my time with them. At what point is it considered a problem? Because the goal of AA is complete sobriety, does that mean social drinking is considered a problem? I have my own issues that I'm trying to work with but as I said earlier, we all got some shit to handle on our own.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,252 Posts
Each person is different. It is not cut and dried which is why I have issues with AA's steps.

For some people, just that first drink is enough to go over the edge, those folks, they need AA and all the support. Others can have 1-2 while once in a while without issue. each person is different and AA's program cannot accept that, mainly why I had issues before the religion issue came up.

I was shunned by AA and other groups for the simple fact I choose to never abstain, I like beer that much. Now, rather than spending $100 a week between Beast Ice and BW3's (beer and food), averaging 100 beers a week, I might allow 6-8 Guinness in the same time frame.

My drink of choice (Beast Ice) I was trying be frugal yet drinking more cheap beer. The same frame of thought happens towards FOOD. Eat MORE cheap food and look at the obesity issue.

McD's = Beast Ice. Eat/drink as cheap as you can and the same results occur. It took a few BBC shows (info not here in USA) to see how I was being misled.

·
Registered
2000 Honda Civic Dx
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Naw I definitely hear you. It use to be an every weekend thing and sometimes throughout the week, but definitely party mode when the weekend hits. This was 5-6 years ago. There was a point in time where it was affecting school and social life as all I wanted to do was get fucked up. I'm glad to say I passed that stage not only by choice but by consequence. I became a father 5 years ago and couldn't party it up as much as I use to. Responsibility took precedence.

But at the same time, I do like drinking though and on occasion I can get super wasted. But I can't hold my liquor no where near how I use to drink. So a handful of shots and a few beers will do me good lol.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts