Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sad day boyz, my d16z6 engine let go in my 95 civic yesterday…. I decided to take it on a 200 mile trip to Athens tx and the roads were pretty long so I decided to try going past 100mph so I put it in fourth while going 60 and the car barely had enough power to keep speeding up so I tried third and that helped it so I was banging off the rev limiter for a couple seconds then then shifted to fourth then here’s where the carnage happened

the oil light started coming on after I went to fourth first it blinked then came on so I pushed the clutch in and the car stalled, I was in the middle of nowhere so kinda scared so I pulled over n the engine started smoking,

I thought Honda engines could take abuse like that, welp I restarted it n what do ya know it got rod knock fml, welp thankfully I was able to drive it back home under 2k rpm’s in 5th gear, the oil was still nearly full n recently changed, no check engine lights before hand or anything, guess d series engines don’t like high revs, it had 170k miles always serviced. Not sure what engine I wanna go w next

Attachments

·
Registered
93 4d lx, z6,ported, port matched, compression bumped, balanced, manual swap
1,469 Posts
If it wasn't wanting to pull past 60 in 4th there was definitely something wrong with it beforehand, banging off rev limiter not good for them either. I've personally seen 305k miles on z6 motors before anything catastrophic happened, so long as oil gets changed with proper weight, valves get lashed every 30k or so and the elastic ring on the damper is good. the z6 is the top of the food chain so far as the D is concerned, unless you can find a dohc zc.

·
Registered
7,227 Posts
I beat the ever living snot out of every single D series I have owned. THe only one to die was a D17 in the 01. A dripping front main turned into a full pressure leak pisser.

If it had no power at 60mph in 4th gear, it was already beaten. THese engines only die in stock form from lack of maintenance, or some goofball that thinks because it is a honda it will survive.

·
Registered
Integra DB9
481 Posts
Our z6 loves revs.
And it pulls well from 60 in 4th.
I'm with the previous two posts - the engine could not have been all that healthy to start with. Have you had the car long?

As to "not sure what engine I wanna go w next", a good D16z6 fits your car beautifully ...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts