I love the D but... i want DOHC Vtec...

So i'm going with this

Hmotors FTW! :D

what do you think?

Flame shield is on...

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'm giving up on my under-rated D series for the torqueless wonder that is known as a B16. I like super loud crossovers and peaky powerbands. I give up too easily

fixed

·
Registered
1993 Cobra
4,036 Posts
What motor do you have now?

And D's :TU: are better than B's :TD:

....oh yeah, flame time:

Your dumb :TU:

·
my dd has 1800 ftlbs of torque
peterbilt
3,890 Posts
cool i like b series but they are kinda expensive but if you can afford one i think they are cool motors

·
d-series resident crybaby
88 Rex
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What motor do you have now?

And D's :TU: are better than B's :TD:
Current engine setup:

D15B2 block
D16Y8 Head (P&P Comp cam, valves, springs, retainers all titanium, Comp adj. cam gear)
Stock Dx trans clutch flywheel Xact and ACT

Running Non-vtec due to getting bad wiring kit...

the main reason i'm going B is to gain OBD1, LSD, and Hydro tranny options, not to mention i'm going to be T3/T4 turboing it...

·
nonvtak ftw
5,230 Posts
What are you planning to spend to do the swap. i did my ls swap for dirt cheap 600 bux. but i bought a wrecked teg to do it. the only thing that will make it worth it is you wanting it to be there you know. Over all it is a good engine for any honda. if i was going to use an engine besides an ls the b16 is the route i would go.

·
nonvtak ftw
5,230 Posts
Current engine setup:

D15B2 block
D16Y8 Head (P&P Comp cam, valves, springs, retainers all titanium, Comp adj. cam gear)

the main reason i'm going B is to gain OBD1, LSD, and Hydro tranny options, not to mention i'm going to be T3/T4 turboing it...
now that i read your going to boost it why not just go ls that way you'll save money and have more left over to put some rods into the ls.

·
88 Rex
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
nothing wrong with a b16 but a boosted ls would be a torque monster!
Everyone and their brother has a B18 around here... LS has no Vtec... i obviously want vtec... and i want DOHC, so i'm probably going B16 the only other option i ever see happening is going to be a CR-Vtec...(B20 block + B16 head for the newbs)

·
Registered
1993 Cobra
4,036 Posts
Current engine setup:

D15B2 block

The thing I like most about the B-series stuff is the badass gearing in the trannys w/the lsd's. And I totally understand wanting obd-1. Good luck with the build. :TU: ...I mean you suck! :TD:

:)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Fuck off newb you have no idea what i'm dealing with here

Newb. Lmfao. -repped accordingly. If you cant take the jokes, dont post up on a SOHC site about how you are a pussy and switched to a DOHC. Turbo b16's are real original. But it's your money, and i'm sure it'll be different than every other turbo b16 CRX at Import Alliance next year ;)

Newb...lolz...

-Drew

·
Registered
95 civic ex coupe
3,862 Posts
well.. man its up to you.. i have seen b16's with minor upgrades to the motor make 360whp on stock head stock block and using gsr cam...

but honestly.. your going to invest 2500 bucks to a motor that makes 5-7 more tq then your single cam.. whats the point?...

why not invest 2500 bucks into a single cam and all the turbo parts you need, rods, pistons, headgasket, i mean for 2500 bucks, you can basically be fully built 450whp single vtec...

if you want a hydro tranny, hit up go autoworks for the mount conversion then you get bitchen motor mounts too, then get a 92-95 ex tranny and have a obx lsd in it...

i mean seriously.. for the price of the b you could do almost everything i just listed.. maybe have to invest a few hundred bucks more..

run vitara pistons and rods from fjt i think the total is like 350-400

there are plenty of options... but honestly getting a B16 wouldnt be one of my options.. id go with a gsr...

i bought a type r swap because i wanted to try something different and i love it.. but im selling it because my friends completely stock dohc zc turbo whoops the shit out of me... so im selling the type r motor some time soon and im gonna go h2b..

you should look into that.. going h2b for the money of a gsr swap practically... h22 motor cable b16 tranny h2b plate from evo industries you would probably spend 3500 bucks and run 11's on stock motor all day long...

you would barely get mid 14's on a b16..

but its your choice.. i threw out some options for you.. its your money im not gonna decide for you...

good luck with whatever you do...

b16's are fun little motor's, but after you do work on them and only gain little hp it gets kind of old

·
my name says Guest, but Im really a MEMBER
10,488 Posts
Current engine setup:

D15B2 block

fix vtec and put all this in your D.

·
88 Rex
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Newb. Lmfao. -repped accordingly. If you cant take the jokes, dont post up on a SOHC site about how you are a pussy and switched to a DOHC. Turbo b16's are real original. But it's your money, and i'm sure it'll be different than every other turbo b16 CRX at Import Alliance next year ;)
Newb...lolz...

-Drew
K 8 valve drew... how's your amazing 8 Valve holding up?

were you even at IA of 08? i was... anyway, i understand your a newb, so thanx for the input... i can take jokes, but i don't really like when people such as yourself change my quote to what you believe i should be saying... such as saying i give up too easily...

i've been under my hood, and under my car and under my dash long before you were ever even on this site, so fuck your "jokes" and fuck your 8 valve

·
Registered
68 Posts
My 8 valve is still running 7's on a stock bottom end. Thanks for asking. Hows that D15 doin.........Oh wait....lol n/m.

Did Macy's have a sale on their serious pants today? Welcome to the internet man. Please, take everything posted on a MESSAGE BOARD to heart, and most importantly, Seriously.

Incase you cant tell, my posts are completely serious, and most definitely are not heavily laden with sarcasm. Dont get all butthurt and send me PM's because you are giving up on your D lol. You even posted your flame suit.

OH NOS HE EDITZ MY QUOT HEZ TEH SRS!!!1oneone
So fuck your non joke taking ass. See you next year at Import Alliance.

Seriously, if you are just swapping to be OBD-1 out of the box, to have a LSD, and to boost it, "youz theeriez am sew fail it hurtz my face"

Lighten up man.
-drew

·
88 Rex
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey all; My name is Drew Foster. I just bought a 1997 Honda Civic coupe HX.

Really looking to autocross the car mostly, so hoping to net around 130-140 wheel, but i need to do someting about the y5. I dont know ANYTHING about D series and I hope to learn alot by coming here.

Hopefully you all can steer me in the right direction, im really, truly a vtec n00b. I had an 88 accord with the A20CA1 with a header, and exhaust, and a Holley 4 barrell (way too rich hahaha) but so far thats my only experience with Honda's.

Are D series easy to swap from one honda to the other? im looking for a little high revving fun here, nothing too fast. I came from the VW community, and have alot of experience building SOHC 8v torque monsters, so i hope maybe i can transfer some of that knowledge to the D series. of course, minus the torque haha.

-Drew

1 - 20 of 33 Posts