Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
96 civic hatch
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i found this odd today. this is all dropped in a 95 del sol vtec (b16 model). so i have a z6 block, with a d15 head. wired with vx wiring harness and a s20 tranny. and the gears are long as f*ck. gas mileage is good. if i am correct this is a mini me/jimmy rigged swap. i throw no cels and don't know if it's throwing any codes. could this be a reliable setup for any na/forced induction builds or is this just a waste of my time. can anyone help? :shocked:

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
It could be, it depends what pistons are in it.

·
Registered
96 civic hatch
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It could be, it depends what pistons are in it.
pm6. i got em from a junk yard for like $40. i used some elbow grease and it made me look new. the motor has been running for a good 30k. this set up is including honing, boring, shotpeening, and micro-polishing. this all costed me around $300

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
So you basicly built an A6 with a small cam? Get an A6 cam in there first, then you should be good for small ammounts of boost.

·
Registered
96 civic hatch
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ic. is it possible to just use a aftermarket cam?. or would a a6 be more preferable?. and i am using a virgin p28 ecu. would a po8 ecu itself be better or just the maps? by the way thanks for all the info!

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
What D15 head are you useing. I'm assuming a regular D15B7 head. If so your only option is to get an A6 cam and have it reground unless you find someone who still has an aftermarket cam in stock or buy one used.

·
Registered
96 civic hatch
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the head has a vtec solenoid?. and what kind of tranny do i have? my friend has a 93 civic si and tranny code says p20.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Look for the casting code on the head to be sure. Look in the tranny section for how to ID your tranny, the barcode means nothing.

·
Registered
96 civic hatch
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
it says po8 on the head... yea i know but the tranny looks exactly the same but my gears are long and his are short.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
So you have a Z6/D15B VTEC head. Basicly it's a mini-me useing an A6 bottom end and Z6 head. If you want a shorter tranny get an Si/EX one.

·
Registered
96 civic hatch
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
so would this be a reliable setup for any builds? and what type of tranny would be better for boost? i've heard that the 92-95 dx tranny is good due to it's long gears, so no boost lag. and a ex/si tranny for n/a since it has short gears. thanx

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
so would this be a reliable setup for any builds?
Light boost from a smaller turbo would be good, compression is around 10:1 so you would have to be careful. Think small T3 or DSM 14B.

and what type of tranny would be better for boost? i've heard that the 92-95 dx tranny is good due to it's long gears, so no boost lag. and a ex/si tranny for n/a since it has short gears. thanx
Whoever told you that was either an idiot or trying to sell you a DX tranny. You'll want an EX/Si tranny over the DX 99.99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999% of the time for boost. Most N/A guys find the stock ratios to tall as it is and that's where hybrid boxes come in.

·
Registered
96 civic hatch
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
in fact he was trying to sell it to me, for $150.. and then a buddy of mine picked up a fresh ex/si tranny for $300. i see what you mean on the turbo size but how much lbs boost and psi can this hold? or what would be recommended amount for daily drive? and what type of ecu program would be good for this kind of set up? hondata, crome, AEM, etc.?

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Something like a .42/.48 T3 at 8 PSI sould be fine with some 390cc or larger injectors. What you use to tune it is up to you and your tuner. Crome is the popular choice, but not everyone is willing to tune it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts