Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a bit of a story.

So my car was doing this messed up thing on cold mornings. I'd go to start, and either it wouldn't fire for about 20 seconds or it would backfire into the manifold (I was reading positive manifold pressure).

First I thought it was just me not waiting for the pump to prime, so I started waiting until the relay clicked. No change. Then I thought it was my timing-- so I changed it from the 14 degrees back to 10. The car ran much smoother. However I noticed when doing the timing that it didn't seem like it was solid on the timing mark-- it fluttered just a little bit. Didn't think anything of it.

Saturday I cleaned the terminals in my dizzy. They were covered in scale but weren't all that eaten away. After I put it together and started the car it sounded weird. So, I jumped the service connector and let the motor warm up. I noticed that when it was warming up (held at ~2000rpm) that it would go rrrrrrrrr-tat-tat-tat-TAT-TAT-TAT-tat-tat-rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr-tat-tat.... Threw the timing light on it and it was peaking at 18 degrees at idle and every time the TAT noise went away the timing fell.

Go figure the dumb OBD2 computer would pull timing with the connector jumped. Yes the CEL and ABS lights were lit.

I had to pull some major timing but I finally got it to sit squarely on 12 degrees where it was supposed to be. It no longer flutters around the mark.

Anyone know why this would happen? Why cleaning dizzy terminals would make my timing advance that far without rotating the dizzy? BTW this crap with the knock sensor has become my #1 reason to buy a chipped p28 and all related accessories.

Also I tried starting twice today out in this cold and ice and snow. FIRED RIGHT UP BOTH TIMES. No hesitation whatsoever.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I was driving home today and was like, WTF? I'm getting 13" of vacuum at 75mph down the highway and 15" doing 60mph?????

Aaaaaaah I love it being fixed. y8 owners, check your timing!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts