Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
my name says Guest, but Im really a MEMBER
10,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What causes paint to wrinkle?? heat or to much paint or both??

no wait. it can't be heat cause on the back of the spary cans it says to paint in 60-80 degree weather. it was really hot in my garage yesterday, i dunno if it was above 80. possible......

I went over some spots that I missed and it wrinkled all over. I wet sanded it but I went to deep. trying to salvage this thing....

·
Lurking... ಠ_ಠ In Your Thread
ES1 Civic
11,969 Posts
show pix...

·
Friend of the D
3,069 Posts
It's the first coat of paint lifting. There's usually some kind of recoat window... where you either have to do it fairly quickly after the first coat or wait weeks in some cases. My guess is you waited too long after the initial coat to touch up those spots.

·
10,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
^ yeah, that's what I'm thinking. It's not orange peel.

o well, I guess. I'm not going to put as much money into this car now. the project was really riding on this. I probably shouldn't of even done it, but painted car's look so ugly with the engine bay the original color. worse then the interior if you ask me. +1 for experience. Quaility > getting it done fast.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I would blow a couple of DRY coats of sealer on it until its all covered then blow several light coats of the color, trying not to lay it on to heavy.

·
10,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
hmm, thanks for the help. It was hot as balls in garage. didn't use any chemicals.

This has been the car I learned how to work on car's with, so I guess It's going to be the car I learn to paint on too.......

I'm thinking I really sould have put clear on it too.

·
Registered
Mostly the 91 CRX
1,329 Posts
Humidity will cause paint to wrinkle. Also if any prep chemicals are left on there it will wrinkle too
most common thing is if there is any silicone around you paint with fish eye, wrinkle, peal.... if you wax your car make sure its not a silicone wax.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts